Vinyl Painting

alldodge

Staff member
Anyone ever try vinyl primer and paint on seat cushions?

Have seen some write ups on it working, but wonder if anyone has done it and it last.

Reason for the question is a JD tractor seat. Can buy a new seat which is Black from Grammer for $150, but can only get one in yellow from JD, and they want $400 for the cushions and almost $1300 for the whole seat

tpenfield

Staff member
I used the vinyl paint (SEM brand IIRC) on an area of my boat seats. It has held up for 2 years so far.

alldodge

Staff member
Have been to that and other sites but they won't fit the seat base. Some even say they will not fit OEM seat base. This is a tractor I'm flipping so want it to look good

Ted, is it in a high use seat area and was it done in the same color or different

Do think the price is so high because they would have Grammer make one special, so only one. I can find a seat for a brand new JD tractor for less ($700), but is not the same kind

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
AD, you might also check on Ebay, I see quite a few seats on there that come from companies that over ordered from the manufactures and they will close them out for some good prices, what model tractor do you have, I can check the local guy, they way over ordered this year and he has been running sales on them.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't be afraid to try painting the seat. I've used vinyl paint on the side paneling on two boats and on the landau roof of an old Lincoln Mark V coupe, all with good results. The issue you'd be facing would of course be the abrasion endured by a seat. All I can say is the results I got in the applications described here were good. The stuff proved to be tough and long-lasting. Why not try it? The most you would lose is the cost of the paint.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've seen vehicles with painted seats and interiors. Seem to hold up well. I don't know the process myself.
However, if your flipping it, personally I would not care what color the seat is, my butt don't have eyes.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Dont be afraid of painting the vinyl.Aerosol from West marine or auto supply ,probably the same.I have done it several times and has held up well on seat backs so your application is similar .VERY IMPORTANT..must be spotless cleaned /scrubbed.When clean wipe with paint thinner and finish with acetone wipe just prior to painting.DONT TOUCH THE VINYL AFTER THAT.Spray away and you should be fine.Coat it with formula 303 before you sit on it to reduce friction and let us know how it holds up.should be fine as mine was and still is.Charlie btw no primer!!