2011 Ford Ranger - Vibration at speed...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've got an interesting one on my hands.

I had a four-wheel brake job done - rotors and pads on front and new pads on the rear. Also had the tires rotated.

When I got it back, my ABS function would occasionally operate when stopping in reverse - not every time, but about every third time. Brought it back and they adjusted the pre-load on the bearings a bit, which took care of it. But I also had a sight drift to the right in forward drive, which was judged to be tire-related. Also discovered a speed-related vibration between 68 and 80 MPH. Not consistent - sometimes could feel it in the steering wheel and other moments not. But it seemed involve the entire vehicle. Intensity not related to accel or decel, and would momentarily disappear when topping a hill. The vibration is appears to be at the tire rotation frequency (around 700 RPM), not the driveshaft rotation frequency (around 3400 RPM) Slipped the truck into neutral for a few seconds at speed and this had no effect on the vibration.

Continental replaced the two tires on the front (pro-rated on mileage), and this cleared the steering drift, but not the vibration. The shop dialed the rotors and found no run-out in any direction.

Inspection has revealed no issues with suspension components. All appears good and tight with no abnormal wear apparent. The truck had suffered no trauma of any kind - no huge pothole, no collision - nothing - at the outset of this condition.

Follow-up actions taken:

1. New U-joints, front and rear.
2. Tested with a new set of Goodyears, balanced of course. No change.
3. Rear axles not found to be running out (No load of course, wheels off and spinning)
4. Moved to another shop and he put a complete set of wheels and tires (from a Lincoln) on. Vibration continued unchanged, at wheel rotation frequency. Same indicated speed range.
5. Installed new shocks on all four corners. This appears to have dampened the vibration. Still not quite tolerable, but much improved. That fact appears to point to the wheels/tires as opposed to frame or chassis vibration, but these have been repeatedly balanced at several points in this episode.

I'm unable to identify any shops in the Milwaukee area with the capability of installing accelerometers or other vibration measurement devices, as I hoped to tie one each to the suspension at all four corners to try to isolate a source.

As it stands, the operators of two shops and I are all baffled regarding this situation.

Guys, I'm all ears...! Thanks.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Are any of the wheels significantly warmer after a drive. Could be a caliper sticking, or an improperly installed brake pad or shoe. Bad front wheel bearing comes to mind too.

generator12

I wish it were that obvious. I forgot to mention that the first shop - the one that did the brake job - redid the whole thing a second time as we believed the first one to be the cause of the issue. That didn't impact it. As far as bearings, the front wheel bearings - so I was told - are integral to the rotors on that truck, and so they were replaced with both brake jobs as well.

As I said, this has us all going in circles. I'm grateful that I have two shops accessible to me with the desire to resolve the problem rather than simply replace an endless list of parts. Unfortunately though, we're presently out of ideas.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
WOW that is a lot of changes which makes it tough to track down

So - were the new ujoints installed "phased" ? (I think that's the word I want.
Have you tried swapping the L & R front tires which I have seen help.

Keep in mind you could balance a square wheel but that would not guaranty a smooth ride.

and..... did this just start with the changes? or were the changes done to fix the problem? It could be in the tranny too or something as simple as a tiny weight falling off a drive shaft

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Are the rotors new or resurfaced? The reason I ask, a few years ago, I had a really odd situation like yours after I put all new rotors on my Ford Explorer, it had me and the various shops I went to pulling our hair out, Could not find anything, until one day I tore everything apart again and was doing a close inspection on all the parts. I did finally find the problem, one rotor was not correct, three of the vents had casting slag stuck in them, that was not removed when the rotor was made. The company I got them from gave me a new rotor with the statement, in over a million rotors, we have never seen that before!

Installed the second new rotor and no more vibration at all.

generator12

Bob, please see what I wrote. The U-joints were installed as a corrective step - the problem existed prior to that. As for the wheels - all replaced in testing, as were the tires.

generator12

Boatguy, interesting story. Sounds a lot like what I'm doing, except that the rotors were actually replaced a second time. Still, the issue arose after the original replacement.

Can the slag be seen without removing the rotors, or must they be disassembled?

Thanks.

generator12

Jake, no. The driveshaft is okay. Anyway the vibration is at the wheel rotation speed (around 700 RPM at 70 MPH) while the driveshaft is turning around 3400 RPM.

generator12

Still fighting it. Had the wheels/tires "road-force" balanced, to no effect. Vibration is reduced running tire pressure at 37.5 PSI instead of factory recommended 30 PSI. I've got a thousand dollars for the shop that can analyze it and define an appropriate correction. I mean it..!

dolluper

Captain
Interesting you wrote the preload adjustment took care of your problem ..This would led to faulty hub axle nuts that loose their torque...Either replace them and re-torque or drop on some lock tite and re-torque. . With a torque wrench not a rattle impact