Anybody know of a good lifting harness?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I need to pick up a 1964 Mercury 650 which is a heavy sucker at least two heavy for just my wife and I, so I have been looking around for a lifting harness for boat motors and can't find anything that is rated to pick this weight up.

Thanks in advance

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If your looking for something to attach to the motor, you can't beat this Heartland Merc flywheel puller and lifting ring - https://www.amazon.com/Heartland-Pr...ve&sprefix=mercury+flyw,automotive,224&sr=1-8

It threads into the flywheel and can be used to remove the flywheel, too.

Those look great.. I have not figured out how to get the darn top cowl off this motor yet, so I could used one, you run a model 500 don't you, which should have the same two piece cowl on it, this one has the band that wraps around the center than the ridgid top cowl on it. Are those darn thing bolted on?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Remove the front shield by pushing in and flipping the pointed radio knob (Carl recycled, I'm sure), flip the two cowl wrap thing-a-ma-bob latches and catch the wrap as it springs open and finally, pull the pinball flippers on both sides until straight out on the rear support bracket. Then lift the top cowl off, by yanking on the top handle.

Radio knob and thing-a-ma-bobs;

Click image for larger version  Name:	frontcowl.png Views:	1 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	10748971

Pinball flippers;

Click image for larger version  Name:	rearcowl.png Views:	1 Size:	107.1 KB ID:	10748972

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks GA, unfortunately no "Pinball Flippers" on this motors, I looked all over it.

I was able to rig a sling lift that attached to my cherry picker to get it high enough to drive the truck out from under it and right now it is hanging on the cherry picker, I am going to build a stand on Monday, until I can get the boat switched over to this motor later in the week.

Thanks for the help.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I was off a year with those pics, MT :doh: Your motor doesn't have the front and back support brackets. Without the support brackets, the cowl has to be mounted directly to the block or some part on the block.

I looked through the right parts diagrams for your motor and noticed the block cover that the spark plugs go through has two lugs above the top plug. Look there when you get it on the new stand and see if there are some screws or nuts/studs up into the top cowl. If that's the case, probably something similar around the magneto and starter for some front screws or nuts/studs.

cowlmount.png

Looked a little more and fount the front mounting. Forward of the magneto mount area is a hole with a bushing, hard to see in this small snip,but by the red mark. The bushing is called a "BUSHING, CRANKCASE - COWL MOUNTING STUD ". It looks a lot like the one above the block cover in the previous pic, but the name isn't in the parts list for some reason.

frontmount.png

The starter area probably has a bushing, too. So there should be two in the front and two in the rear.