Water Damage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Damage?

We had a Frog Floater come through this week; the A got caught in it; ran through some high water. She said it started missing; and finally died. Drug her home; did some checking: oil still clean; transmission is sealed. I'm guessing water in gas. Noticed engine is dry;no water marks anywhere under hood. (Also noticed there is no fan blade! Is it suppose to have one? It is water cooled!). Can replace the fuel filter; but would disconnecting the gas line from the tank and turning on the key drain the tank?

What are you working on, engine, drive? It doesn't sound like the engine on your information page.
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Comment

The fuel injected gas tanks I've dropped have a drain hose coming from a barb in the top of the in-tank fuel pump. You have to locate this, uncap it and draw a siphon to get it started draining.

But I'd look elsewhere first. Newer auto fuel systems are well sealed for EVAP compliance. My pal tore his EVAP canister loose in high water. That could allow water to enter the engine through the throttle body or intake manifold, and possibly through the fuel tank vapor vent. So make sure this canister and all of its plumbing is intact.
      '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

OK. If we're talking about a road vehicle it would still be nice to know what it is. Most newer vehicles use an electric fan mounted close to the radiator. It could be behind or in front of the rad.
        If it has a distributor pull the cap and check for condensation.
        "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Comment

Not sure what vehicle your working on

Could be engine ingested water thru air intake (many filters hace a low mounted inlet)

Could be moisture around ignition components

Engine fans are mostly electric these days

Yes, removing the fuel filter and turning on the key will cause the fuel pump to run for about 3-5 seconds, spraying fuel all over the place.
          Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Sorry about That!! '02 Mustang; 3.8L Coupe;.Can give more info.(First; I need to comment that she had no other choice!) She idled through the water; said she she drove it approx. 5 miles; it started missing; and died. No water got inside the car! No fan anywhere on engine. She ran the battery down trying to start it. Has been in garage with a heat lamp and a fan in case it is moisture.Haven't tried starting fluid (yet).

Comment

Pull the distributor cap and dry it out

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

OK! It's hidden!

Comment

Correction, multi-coil pack. Located on side of intake manifold. Here is a pic from the interweb

pull the air filter assembly and look for moisture

Past Boats

Comment

My ex had the same thing happen many years ago. As Scott said check the air filter. Her car had ingested enough water to make the air filter soggy and restricted. Wasn't from driving through deep water but just a couple of inches on the roadway during an extended cloudburst.
                    The last suit you wear won't need any pockets. You might as well spend it on a boat.

Comment

Thank you both for the replies. Was going to look at it today; if possible. (Right now: temp 46;W N15; FL 45; misty rain).
                      I do have a Service Manual; haven't even opened it. Thanks for the pix Scott; couldn't tell about a fan blade. Will give a update,

Comment

Working...
                      X