Sleep ot Hybernate ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep ot Hybernate ?

If you don't want to shut down any Notebook or Desk PC permanently as will be using them say some hours latter. Which modality is best to use : Sleep or Hibernate ? What's the tech difference between those 2 if any ?

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Hibernation draws less power

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/diffe...n-in-windows-7
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
      Good to know.

As both HP Notebook and Dell LapTop are used with removed batteries, runs solely on their respective chargers while sitting over a cooling tray the hibernation choice will be much better as the fans of the cooling tray will be OFF compared to On state if choosing Sleep.

Thanks,
      Happy Boating

Comment

In Windows 10, I go to "Power and Sleep". You can pick you own settings for screen-off and sleep. I go with "Never" on sleep. I understand you don't want you fans running. I keep two browser windows (FB and this site) and mail open and minimized over night. I never keep a web site up that continually scripts and refreshes those PIA ads. If the fan runs, it's so slow I don't notice.

Our W10 machines don't have a hibernate option. At least none that I've found.
        '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Most of the new laptops are full solid state so no fans or moving parts like hard drives

My Win7 Dell Inspiron weights maybe 4 times what the Admiral's Win10 Asus
          94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
          95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
          07 Seadoo GTX
          Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
          G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

My Dell laptop is solid state and the fans do run. Son of a gun gets hot too.... really didn't need the laptop for home (a chrome book or tablet would be fine for surfing the web). I would put the desktop to sleep... for the laptop just close the lid.
            2016 Crownline 21SS, 350 MAG MPI
            Central Indiana with jaunts to Lake Cumberland.
            1991 Rinker 206 Captiva - 4.3L Merc, 1988 Supra Mariah 21 - 351 Clevland, 1985 Ebbtide 19ft - 305 Merc, 1982 Rinker 17ft - 90 Evinrude,1963 Skiff Craft16 ft - 85 hp Merc

Comment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-windows-7/amp

Comment

Originally posted by harringtondav View Post
                Our W10 machines don't have a hibernate option. At least none that I've found.
                You have to enable it. The screens in the current build look a little different but the concept is the same.
                https://www.howto-connect.com/enable...ws-10-5-steps/
                Bob, Seneca Lake NY
                '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
                '94 Grumman Fish'N Fun pontoon, 40 HP Merc
                Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
                Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

Thanks NYBo . Easy as 1,2,3. Forums are great. What I can't figure out is why the little smoothie drinking, skateboard scooting propeller heads as MS and Google think they know more about what a user wants, than the actual user does. Solutions shouldn't be so obscure.
                  '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Tried closing the screen lid, cooling tray and external WIFI antena remained ON on a Dell LapTop and HP Notebook with Win 7 running their latest versions. Hibernate works fine for me..

Happy Boating

Comment

Working...
                    X