Ceiling fan blades

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
The blades on the ceiling fan on the back patio have cratered with age.(Cheapo fan;2 blade; 36") Material looks like a hardboard; but not wood. Can anybody suggest a material? Have thought about cheap paneling; but might be too heavy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
lowes and home depot sell fan blades for about $15 a set of 5.

you cant make them for what you can buy them for.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, just buy a set
There are fans made to go outside, and those will have blades made out of other material. Have 2 on my patio which has been there for about 20 years and still doing fine

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Will do. I found they were in bad shape was when I started finding pieces on the floor and table.

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, my porch/outside fan blades of particle board/wood/whatever sagged down and quit.....plastic blades for outside use....big box stores sell them....easy fix, no problem..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
a can of spray paint makes them whatever color you want. We did our living room one; loved the fan and shape of the blades but not the blade color.

Even the very expensive fans out on a patio blades will over time start to sag. The plastic ones are not susceptible to water but heat messes them up. Most are made from pressed wood so just get a new set of blades and if and when they sag again by then you should be ready for a hole new fan.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Even the very expensive fans out on a patio blades will over time start to sag. The plastic ones are not susceptible to water but heat messes them up. Most are made from pressed wood so just get a new set of blades and if and when they sag again by then you should be ready for a hole new fan.

This fan was bought and installed back in '02 (Paid 10 bucks at HD); I got my investment. As soon as this weather straightens out; I have a list for HD. Thanks for your input.