Says Its a rivet gun

alldodge

Staff member
Bought this at an auction for $27 so figured it was cheap enough. Says its a rivet gun and appears to maybe take 1/4 type, but cannot find any info on it. Anyone ever see one similar?

9031809_8.jpg9031810_4.jpg9031813_8.jpg9031814_8.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think I've seen one of those driving red-hot rivets in Empire State Bldg. ironworker documentaries. :smile:

How big is that baby?

alldodge

Staff member
The body is about 10 inches across, 3 inch diameter, and the ends stick out 3 to 4 inches. Weight is around 4 pounds.

Bought it from a House boat company going out of business, Aluminum hulls

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Whats a bucking system?

Did connect air to it, and does something but I have no rivets of the size to try

Bucked rivets are solid like used on Starcraft boats. The rivet is a solid piece of metal that is flattened on both ends to hold two pieces of metal together and that looks like one of the tools that is used to flatten one end of that solid metal pin.

That looks like a bucking gun

Attachments

• photo298390.jpg
    photo298390.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Ok thanks, Neither end of this thing moves. The front has about a 1/4 inch hole in it, and reason I'm thinking larger rivets.

GA_Boater

Some of these you press the working end against the rivet and pull the trigger. So hooking up the air may not do anything unless you push it against something, like a nail gun works.

I would hold away from my body until you figure it out with that Red Green warning.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with staying clear. When I hooked up the air I had it in a trash can, gloves on and a full face shield. Had air at 60 psi to keep low.

The plug in the red end says to keep the green plug in the red end prior to use. It unscrews real easy, so assume it was removed often. The other end was also a bit loose but feels like it has a spring behind it, so didn't want to remove just yet until I found what might be behind it

GA_Boater

Was the boat company local, AD? Maybe a former worker is around?

alldodge

Staff member
That's a good idea, not real local, but close enough. There are several house boat companies still in business in Somerset. Can take a trip and stop by one and they may know what it is, and if it has all the parts it should have

alldodge

Staff member
That's what I thought, but you happen to know where these are sold and maybe parts for them? Just trying to see if everything is there

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have come across one once about 10 years ago. that is about as close as I am to information on it. I remember looking at it and saying "Dayum!"

alldodge

Staff member
Comparing the 1/4 gun of today

rivet.jpg

Which is a one hander, this one takes 2 hands and has an upper handle. I'll figure this out one of these days. Who knows, it may just be really old and they now can make them small and light weight

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Comparing the 1/4 gun of today

Which is a one hander, this one takes 2 hands and has an upper handle. I'll figure this out one of these days. Who knows, it may just be really old and they now can make them small and light weight

I have a couple of these and they work well if you have a lot of rivets to install, I got them when I was helping my buddy at his RV shop, this style is for the pop rivets, I still think the one you picked up is for bucking rivets.

alldodge

Staff member
Well, AD - You can always say your's is bigger! LOL

I always thought so :D

Well my curiosity was up and its raining, so grab the umbrella and to the shop. It is a pop rivet gun and the plug needs to be on the back because after (assumption here) the rivet is installed, the pin is tossed back into the red tube so another can be loaded.

The front tube comes off an the head has a 3 jaw keeper that is serrated and spring loaded. Was real slow unscrewing in case it would come flying apart. the outer tube has a long thread so the spring tenson is removed before it comes off

Photo1471.jpgPhoto1470.jpgPhoto1469.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Cool, I was wrong, it is one of the older style pop rivet guns..good deal.