Printer issue...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
HP Envy 5530

Lost power, now all the lights blink non stop with an error code. I tried doing the procedure below, but was only able to get one cartridge out since they're off to the far right and I can't access the black. How do I get them in the center?

1> While the printer is ON, remove the cartridges.

2> While the printer is ON, unplug the power cord from back of the printer.

3> Power Off the wireless router.

4> Wait for 60 seconds.

5> Plug in the power cord to the printer. If printer does not power ON, then press the ON button to do so.

6> Install the cartridges when prompted.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I had tried that before and they wouldn't move. Tried it again and now it works. I moved nothing. Been working on this for a while. Good ol electronics...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I did remove a little cover to access the rollers, maybe that did something, idk.....

southkogs

Staff member
31Z8GQR%2BvXL._SX466_.jpg

May not make it work. But it'll solve the problem. ;)

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now you guys are stepping in to an area that I know about! I am sure I will ramble some, but I will try to stay on point.

HP learned something a long time ago. They learned where they really make money - is in ink. That's why you can get an HP printer for $50 that prints pretty good. It will even come with a "starter pack" of inks - which are only half full. Soon, you are spending $35 to $50 on ink. The printers themselves are mass produced and have very little quality control. Now this isn't true for ALL HP printers, or any printer really, but when the printer costs under $100, you are getting a disposable printer. Its sort of like buying an '80's model Bayliner. :lol: What's really aggravating is when you get one and it doesn't print at all because the chips on the board were flashed with old firmware and the most recent print spooler revision in the last windows update isn't compatible. But anyway..

Ink jets move back and forth by either a belt of a screw rod. The position of the the cartridge carrier is timed with the motor that turns the belt or rod and makes the carrier move to exactly where it needs to. If you jump a tooth or 3 on the belt, its just like jumping a timing belt in a car. Everything gets out of sync. You also have sensors that use infrared light to determine the position of the carrier to make sure that it is in time, and if not, will adjust the sfirmware to re-assign position sensing. In other words, it sort of self-corrects. The better the printer, the more sensors there are. The more sensors there are, the more seamless the correction is. But it jumping time is not a worry, it happens all the time. Have you ever been printing something and it made a hard shake and sounded like something broke inside? It most like jumped time then - but it also immediately self-corrected via the sensors and firmware.

That same motor that turns the belt also moves a bunch of mechanisms that work in unison with the carrier location, so there are a lot of mechanical pieces deep inside. So when it jumps time, its sometimes quite difficult to get the carrier to move by hand. What you actually did without realizing it was that you moved it just enough that the sensor that was activated by its position and not letting it move was deactivated, and that caused the printer to self-correct the position sensing, and then it was able to return to acting right.

GA_Boater

Who knew?!:D

Every printer buyer. LOL.

Was it printing when the lights went out? I'll guess then the power went out the printer was put in some undetermined state - Like AL or GA. :lol:

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why do I feel like you guys are mocking me? :boink:

Every day I read the posts on here and I feel like I might as well be reading an instructional manual on rocket surgery. So sue me if I got a little excited over something I knew!:laugh:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Why do I feel like you guys are mocking me? :boink:

Every day I read the posts on here and I feel like I might as well be reading an instructional manual on rocket surgery. So sue me if I got a little excited over something I knew!:laugh:

Yes, Yes they are!

:lol:

Those two have developed that fine tuned skill from many years of practise

:facepalm:

GA_Boater

The complaints about buying 50 buck printers with 14 drops of ink in cartridges and a new ink set of ink costs as much as the printer aren't new. And reliability of 50 buck printers isn't so great, also not known.

Now on the undetermined states I mentioned were your state and my state. Maybe it's only one of us. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Note the use of smilies. :smile:

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh I gotcha - I wasn't "offended" or anything . I am not one of those kinds of people. I work days as a data analyst and about 3 nights a week as a law enforcement officer. I don't think I possess the ability to be offended! I think I had it once, but I put it in a jar and now I can't remember where it is. I am sure I put it right next to the jar that holds my feeling ( just the one, it's all I ever had).
:laugh:

Like I said, I was just excited to finally know the answer to something around here!!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Every printer buyer. LOL.

Was it printing when the lights went out? I'll guess then the power went out the printer was put in some undetermined state - Like AL or GA. :lol:

For the 10th time, yes. Does anyone ever admit they live in GA?????:confused::D

See AlabamaNewbie, we're equal opportunists. :cool:

GA_Boater

For the 10th time, yes. Does anyone ever admit they live in GA?????:confused::D

See AlabamaNewbie, we're equal opportunists. :cool:

Just visiting cuz it's warmer than that arctic clime you live in and I used to live in near 'speck. LOL