Weird happenings on Amazon

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
So I've been looking at welders on Amazon. In the past few days I've come across name brand 2 units priced at half the other "standard" listings cost. The first one I added to my cart. Then I checked out the seller. When I want back to my cart the unit was removes and a message stating that item was no longer available at that price, was in its place. Today same thing on another brand/seller listing. I added it to my cart then sent the seller an e-mail message questioning if all the factory accessories were included in the sale. As soon as I sent the message and returned to my cart that same message appeared............so what gives, is this some kind of bait and switch or what?:confused::confused:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would ask Amazon what's up. Amazon should know if B&S is going on.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
IF it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Half price seems too good to be true in my opinion. :noidea:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You need to contact Amazon and find out if there is a problem, or if the sellers are pulling out on that particular deal.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
So I contacted Amazon. The telephone support person said she could not verify the lower price on either item. She kept telling me if a seller runs out of inventory another sellers item will often be substituted automatically. I could not make her understand my issue with the huge price discrepancy. I told her I thought it seemed like a bait and switch tactic. She had no viable responce. I may try contacting some one farther up the food chain at amazon and see where that gets me.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
My complaint with Amazon is they offer you "Free Shipping"; then tell you that you need to sign up for a Visa Credit Card to get it. I have one credit card that I use and it has the "chip" in it that is a PITA.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
L-T - The same seller in both cases?

No two different sellers. Both times it said the item was removed and places in my "saved items" for purchase later. But the items placed there carried the substantially higher prices.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Amazon. Amazon and all associate sellers use an algorithmic pricing program that constantly change things based on whatever parameters that they set up. That is why, if you see something at a great price, grab it. It may not be the same the next time you blink.

It is probably similar to how airlines price their air fares.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Amazon1_zpsfxt3c1vg.jpg
Amazon2_zpsqi9tzvqu.jpg

Here are two screen shots. The first one shows the item for $700.00 plus shipping. Once I added it to my cart I contacted the seller (as requested) and inquired about the factory accessories. When I went back to complete the transaction the $700.00 dollar unit was removed from my cart and a $1495.00 unit was placed in my saved for later cart.

The top add in second screen shot shows 4 offers from $480.00. however when you click on the 4 offers link it directs you back to the $1495.00 dollar unit. The same pricing tactic can be seen in the second add as well.

southkogs

Staff member
Not sure about the one in the mobile screen shot, but the first screen shot is a used welder. Is it a new vs. used difference?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
The first one is really confusing. On the right side of the page it states Brand New Sealed free shipping Please contact me before buy.................... On the left side it says price plus shipping cost. And it does state used there. Still when I initially accessed the ad it stated 4 in inventory/stock.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not a Neverlast welder!!!!!

On WeldingWeb there were a bunch of people that had problems with them. Just another cheap Chinese welder.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Not a Neverlast welder!!!!!

On WeldingWeb there were a bunch of people that had problems with them. Just another cheap Chinese welder.

Jody from welding tips and tricks did a several video review of that exact machine and concluded it performed on par with red and blue machines costing three times as much. My only concern is service ability. But since I'm a hobbyist down time is not big worry. The question of resale value does not worry me because providing it preforms as in Jodys videos I'll never sell it.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Hey bruce, I can get it thtough Home Depot for around $1250.00 with coupons and discounts. So which Thermal Arc do you have.