Photobucket (outrageous charges)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
I just got the email. Holy moly, I can not believe it. I have many massive monster threads going with mountains of information of which the photos are the most important piece. What a gigantic waste. A waste of my time, a waste of time for all the great guys here on iboats. Those threads, and so many others, will become a huge wasteland now.

Unbelievable.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Understated Jas. :blue:

I'm thinking of all the time I spent taking those photos, uploading them to PB, then posting the photos and writing up the narrative here on iboats. Thousands of them. So much time..........and soooo many guys doing the same.

PB has just wiped out massive libraries of information.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not just here Jas, its getting a bit of press about its impact across lots of sites

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Too right, no doubt hundreds/thousands of forums just like this one.........toast.

Just do an internet search. iboats is one of thousands feeling the hurt this ratbag organisation is causing. And yes, thousands of hours of hard work and documented history has just been flushed. As already said, many many threads use the photos as the main information tool. Without the photos, the rest of the text is pointless.

My take.....

I believe it's called a 'moral responsibility'...

"We'll set up this great site so people can upload (fill in this space), and we'll make it free and just make a killing on the ads. After about 10 years, when everybody has become comfortable and we hold millions of (fill in this space), we'll hold all those (fill in this space) as hostage and demand everybody using our FREE service pay an extortionate amount to continue using what we originally offered for free"...

In every language on this planet, that is blackmail! (although, I'm sure some lowlife scumbag lounge-chair lawyer would argue it as 'good business') Well, I think it's bad business, and will send this business to the wall. (please let it be me who fires the first shot! :mad:)

And I guess it should also serve as a warning of what can happen when good people go bad. How many of you have a lot of valuable and critically important information stored on some 'cloud'? This PB issue may set a precedent. It may be time for all forums to set up their own photo servers, keep as much of the valuable resources 'in-house' as humanly possible. Yes, that will be an extra cost to that forum owner. The alternative is what we are seeing now, a complete collapse of a huge resouce, and those resources being held for ransom.

I have never used the 'cloud' for storage for this very reason, and I have been saying for years that what PB have done will happen... I feel sadly justified in my mistrust of people. :(. Yes, I used PB for a few hundred photos which I was 'third partying' here, but I kept the orginals on my own hard drive, and backups, and was able to just change a few links (we are working on getting you the edit function restored), and all is good again.. Unfortunately a LOT of the old resto threads, where the owners has 'moved on', will never be restored, and that is a terrible loss.

Chris...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I don't trust any of these free hosting sites now, it would be a double kick to the gut (or lower) if I add all my pics back in 3 threads and the new hosting site does the same greedy maneuver. So I'll look into my what my ISP provides for storage online and see if it will work out. Problem is one day I may move or kick off even (hope not) and no longer have that ISP and then back to square one unless I maintain an account for internet service I don't use. Then there's the scores of help I've sent to others by posting pics in their threads that will be forever dead with that meter from PB that ticks me off when I see it and there's no way of fixing that.

Beyond frustrating to think of the all the information that is now gone, here and all over the internet.

fishrdan

Admiral
I'm wary of "cloud" storage, and PB's self inflicted fiasco is one good reason. I never signed up for a PB account, and just upload my pics direct to iBoats, super easy.

I have the pics, iBoats has the pics, no one else needs to store them....

Baylinerchuck

Commander
PB must have been getting slammed from their feedback button. It appears as though they removed the link to post feedback about their service.....I wonder why. Bunch of jerks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Just checked, even though my pics still show up, my account is frozen so I can't do anything with the pics in PB now.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Guys, how do I download my photos off of PB? I can't seem to locate any "download" link or button on my album pages?

Edit: Never mind, found it.

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Guys, stop trying to post jpegs. Change the format you're saving in to .png. Works perfectly.

Chris. ....

Chris..... why change from jpeg to png? I did that to one photo and it went from 2.49mb jpeg to 16.8mg png.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Amazing to me the whining going on. A company can't make money hosting photos to 3rd party websites since the way they make money is advertising and people only see advertising when people actually go to the PB website to view the pictures there.

It costs a ton of money for the bandwidth for all the pictureo on a 3rd part websites everytime those pictures are viewed. It's not forums like this that caused all of the this. It's sites like Reddit where a post will get millions of views in seconds. Do you really think they should invest millions of dollars in backbone that increase bandwidth where they get zero revenue return? If you do, don't start a company...you will go out of business fast.

As far as wishing a company should go Chapter 11 because they won't give you the free stuff you used to get from them.....what the hell is wrong with this picture?

Last edited:

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Amazing to me the whining going on. A company can't make money hosting photos to 3rd party websites since the way they make money is advertising and people only see advertising when people actually go to the PB website to view the pictures there.

It costs a ton of money for the bandwidth for all the pictureo on a 3rd part websites everytime those pictures are viewed. It's not forums like this that caused all of the this. It's sites like Reddit where a post will get millions of views in seconds. Do you really think they should invest millions of dollars in backbone that increase bandwidth where they get zero revenue return? If you do, don't start a company...you will go out of business fast.

As far as wishing a company should go Chapter 11 because they won't give you the free stuff you used to get from them.....what the hell is wrong with this picture?

Dont think they wouldve been around for 10 years if they didnt get enough revenue from ad views on their site. You still have to go to their site to grab the IMG url to post on the forums, so we were seeing ads no matter what. Thats how they were getting money. This is just a money grab for PB and it will most likely bite them where it counts.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

You're right, of course, but I think the issue is the way in which it was handled. They could have set up an automated process to render all the inline links to low resolution images and continue serving them, while at the same time implementing the new terms going forward. That's one solution...another would be daily view limits or something to preserve niche forum archives but prohibit twitter mass views. They could have handled it differently from a PR perspective.

It was just a matter of time before this happened, and I expect it to happen with imgur and postimage as well. My solution will be to put all the images I want to share on my own site, but that's obviously not a solution for most people. It just sucks that all those inactive thread images here and elsewhere are locked on PB's servers forever.

But yeah, you're definitely right about people expecting free bandwidth and storage. I'm just lamenting the loss of so much public data in one instant and with one decision.

And $400 is f'n crazy.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Dont think they wouldve been around for 10 years if they didnt get enough revenue from ad views on their site. You still have to go to their site to grab the IMG url to post on the forums, so we were seeing ads no matter what. Thats how they were getting money. This is just a money grab for PB and it will most likely bite them where it counts.
You have no idea what the costs are for providing the bandwidth for 3rd party hosting. If you do, maybe you should share that info with us.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am curious what people would be willing to pay for monthly PB 3rd party hosting. Is $20 fair? $30?

Status
Not open for further replies.