Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Random

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I know exactly what happened with the bow in the table. I did something similar once making a very nice yard sign with our last name and house numbers on it. I used 2 by's planed, jointed and glued together to assemble it. Then routed out everything to a depth of about one inch deep, but the house numbers and name and a border around the entire sign so they appeared raised. Then I used a wood gouge to take chunks out of the base wood to give the appearance that it was hand cared that way. Absolutely looked amazing...UNTIL the difference in moisture in the wood took over. It arched in the middle because that is when the wood was the thinnest. I didn't figure on that and should have used a backer of plywood to keep it flat and straight. Lesson learned... Seems you did basically the same with your cut out sections as well. The wood arched the same because your cut sections out...
    Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
    Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
    '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
    Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

    Comment


    • I was originally planning on two pours: Glow in the dark, and then the total flood. BUT, the volume of the glass didn't fill quite the way I anticipated, and I adjusted on the fly (another lesson learned). So, my volumes were off now, and I had also made the problem of not being able to dam the flood with my wood form. So, I poured in stages. I was trying to level the resin on the edges of the lake in my second pour, and then the third was to complete the table.

      If I had done the form properly / better, then I could have done it one flood after the glow flood. Lesson learned.

      Good thoughts GM. I still have one more I'd like to try when I find the right piece of wood.

      Comment


      • southkogs, wood is so unpredictable sometimes. When you think you have everything covered, then the wood takes over and shows who really is boss.

        I can always tell when the humidity is low, the end table my son built in shop class, many decades ago now, opens up a fairly large crack down the middle of the end table. And that is because he must have used a couple pounds of wood screws to hold the top on the base. And he didn't allow for any method to expand and contract without effecting the top. So dry weather, large crack, more humidity, the crack seals itself so you can't find that crack anywhere. Amazing how much the wood expands when wet and contracts when dry. You just wouldn't think it could move that much!
        Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
        Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
        '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
        Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

        Comment


        • An old contractor once told me that- if you find a straight piece of wood, it just hasn't made up it's mind yet.
          When goals have no clear focus, neither will the actions of the people trying to achieve them

          Comment


          • Originally posted by foodfisher View Post
            An old contractor once told me that- if you find a straight piece of wood, it just hasn't made up it's mind yet.
            So right. I always said that WOOD is one of the hardest materials to build with, and here is my reason. When you are building with metal and make a mistake, you either cut some off or weld on a piece and carry on. When you are working with fiberglass, you either grind it down or mix up more resin and add to it. But when you are working with wood, if to cut it too short, you get to make a new one...

            I work with all those materials and love the challenges each type offers too...
            Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
            Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
            '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
            Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

            Comment


            • Chuckle, don't know how many times I had to cut it twice and it's still too short.
              When goals have no clear focus, neither will the actions of the people trying to achieve them

              Comment


              • Today the wife and I were watching some older TV series that were worth watching compared to the "new" material they are showing these days. And the subject of the six-million dollar man can up. And I said with increase in medical care today, a six-million dollar operation would be someone having their tonsils removed. Wonder how much the six-million dollar man would cost these days?
                Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
                Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
                '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
                Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

                Comment


                • When I get behind a computer with excel, I'll answer that
                  1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

                  Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by gm280 View Post

                    So right. I always said that WOOD is one of the hardest materials to build with, and here is my reason. When you are building with metal and make a mistake, you either cut some off or weld on a piece and carry on. When you are working with fiberglass, you either grind it down or mix up more resin and add to it. But when you are working with wood, if to cut it too short, you get to make a new one...

                    I work with all those materials and love the challenges each type offers too...
                    Just add a dutchman, grind, and then the quarter inch black paint. Any body can make "good looking" welds.
                    The last suit you wear won't need any pockets. You might as well spend it on a boat.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by gm280 View Post
                      Today the wife and I were watching some older TV series that were worth watching compared to the "new" material they are showing these days. And the subject of the six-million dollar man can up. And I said with increase in medical care today, a six-million dollar operation would be someone having their tonsils removed. Wonder how much the six-million dollar man would cost these days?
                      I started to do the math, then got to thinking about actual cost given technology improments since then - not just raw dollars of inflation.

                      so:

                      https://www.foxnews.com/science/what...an-worth-today

                      1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

                      Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

                      Comment


                      • 1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

                        Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

                        Comment


                        • 1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

                          Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by redneck joe View Post

                            I started to do the math, then got to thinking about actual cost given technology improments since then - not just raw dollars of inflation.

                            so:

                            https://www.foxnews.com/science/what...an-worth-today
                            Interesting article for sure. I guess $6 million dollars can buy quite new tech abilities these days. Not a $6 million dollar man capabilities, but not too shabby either. Just think in the next 100 years what technology we will have. None of us will ever know about it, but it will be quite interesting in comparison to today's capabilities.

                            A guy I once worked with stated that the next 100 years will have nothing new happening. And I say, you are wrong, You can't even imagine what new technologies we will have because you can't think of such things you never thought about yet. In other words, we don't know what we don't know!
                            Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
                            Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
                            '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
                            Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by gm280 View Post

                              Interesting article for sure. I guess $6 million dollars can buy quite new tech abilities these days. Not a $6 million dollar man capabilities, but not too shabby either. Just think in the next 100 years what technology we will have. None of us will ever know about it, but it will be quite interesting in comparison to today's capabilities.

                              A guy I once worked with stated that the next 100 years will have nothing new happening. And I say, you are wrong, You can't even imagine what new technologies we will have because you can't think of such things you never thought about yet. In other words, we don't know what we don't know!
                              All inventions and technology are built on others' inventions and technology. Geniuses don't live in a vacuum.
                              Perfection is a direction, not a goal.

                              Comment


                              • Sign up today
                                If a person knew what was going to be invented in the future, it would have already been invented... JMHO
                                Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
                                Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
                                '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
                                Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X