Cape cod on the 4th?

hostage

Lieutenant
How is cape cod on the 4th of July weekend? My wife wants to go visit there and I get no vacation except major holidays. I am not a fan of big crowds or traffic and that is why I avoid going to concerts and festivals.

We like Hiking and biking. Also thinking of visiting the USS Mass.

Thanks in advance,

Hostage

Re: Cape cod on the 4th?

The cape is busy like crazy on the 4th weekend. You looking to stay for certain amount of days?

I am in Westport, 15-minutes from the USS MA AKA Big Mamie. There are lots to do if you know where to go? Also Bristol Parade is on the 4th which is about a 15-minute ride from Fall River (USS MA) but you have to get a spot on the parade route very early.

The best fireworks around here (IMHO) are the Boston Pops in Boston Harbor... music playing along to the fireworks... I have never gone but watch on TV and they blow any other local shows away.

Plenty of excellent food too....

imported

Cadet

I live on the Cape and it is very busy. I really don't see how people can enjoy themselves with all the traffic and such. If it were me, and what I always tell people is that the best time to visit the Cape is September and October. Now this does cut down on the beach possibilities but you will be able to enjoy the Cape and truly experience all the beauty.

If you are interested in hiking I would suggest checking out the National Seashore. Lots of decent, not to difficult trails with beautiful views. Good luck.

tpenfield

Staff member

There is a 17 mile bike path that starts in North Falmouth and goes to the Ferry port in Woods Hole. Then you stop at the Captain Kidd for lunch, feed the fish some of your fries. Afterwards you can get ice cream and candy before heading back on the bike trail.

fireworks off Falmouth Heights on the 4th.

everything is wicked crowded so plan ahead go early, etc.

EDIT: 11 miles long . . . http://www.capecodbikeguide.com/shiningsea.asp