electrical hazared

Re: electrical hazared

I for one hope she sues the pants off the responsible parties. Far too many docks / marina's think electrical codes are just suggestions.

"discovered various violations of state laws and electrical codes."

That could be any thing including a missing screw in a panel cover. Shes taking both the boat owner and the marina to court and they have not said that they have found the problem but that there was a problem. So if the boat was to blame the marina has deeper pockets and better insurance so it must be there fault. If the marina was the solo person that they were blaming then it would show that they had found a serious violation.
This is not about guilt, this is about spinning a story to 12 people then asking them to deiced on a amount.

i hope she gets a (reasonable) pay off because it must have been a bad experience but lets not go blaming anyone till the facts are in.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Not sure a marina is the best "swimmin' hole".

NYBo

Admiral

She have been "limp" when rescued, but clearly not "lifeless."

I wonder if there were "No Swimming" signs posted in the marina, as is the usual practice.

Bondo

Staff member

Russell was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, post-trauma insomnia and electrocution, the lawsuit stated.

Ayuh,.... My take,... She's a Gold Digger, lookin' for a Free fortune,... with 3 Unprovable ailments,....

I'm guessin', James Carriger ain't gonna be invitin' her aboard again,... :rolleyes:

My take, the marina is supposed to have GFI on every circuit. If there was stray current in the water the GFI wasn't installed or it wasn't working properly.

gfci doesn't protect against stray current it protects against current imbalance so up to 4ma can be lost before a gfci reacts. swimming in 3ma is enough to cause a problem that can stop you swimming. The whole case will be based on not how it happened as that would involve one person but it will be based on the fact that neither the boat or the dock had a indicator that shows voltage detected in the water. This is because any of the boats in the marina could have been the problem so you would have to prove which one was the one leaking voltage to the water.
There is no required code that says you have to have a detector in the water but if you knew the risk you should not have allowed a person to enter the water via your boat or the marina should not have allowed swimming with out the detector. Spin doctoring will be added like did you test the gfci before use, is there a record for the gfci test, is the test certified by a marine electrician, etc etc
The part that people should learn about this case is not what someone else done wrong but the fact that in this day and age if someone has a problem on your boat even if it the fault is not yours you will be dragged to court.