Why can't I find a good deal... ever?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
So I restored my 1978 Sea Nymph for fishing and now have been looking for a glass run about. My latest attempts. 1974 17' Glastron with a 135 rude, it's a complete wreck, rotten down to the hull. Guy wants 1500 for it, I say 500 is too much, it's a complete gut job and we are too far apart to make a deal. 1989 20 foot Maxum, NADA says 1800 is high end, the guy has it reduced for sale at 4100 and the boat looks like it's sat in the Mojave desert for 15 years and he has green astro turf draped over the bunks just hanging there. Yah, too far apart to make a deal. Trying to buy a boat for what it's actually worth in my area is a real chore so it seems. I will keep looking. Any advice on how to talk these guys down on their gold plated wrecks would be appreciated greatly.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Why can't I find a good deal... ever?

Patience=Good things come to those who wait. Edit: You're trying to buy in a sellers market aka spring.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Buy during winter, sell spring and summer.

Just before and after Christmas is the best time for boat buying, people will take a lot less when looking at the Christmas bills.

southkogs

Staff member

Watch some of those boats for a while ... in several months, if they haven't sold you've got a better chance to walk in with an offer. Then low ball it and see where it goes.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

1800 NADA selling for 4100? Don't even look twice at those boats. All you're doing is wasting your time. The seller is hoping some schmo who knows nothing about boats will come along and buy them..... There's plenty of good deals out there, but I'm with foodfisher............. patience....... You'll find the right one with a reasonable price....

Buy during winter, sell spring and summer.

Just before and after Christmas is the best time for boat buying, people will take a lot less when looking at the Christmas bills.

That's a great idea except around here 99% of the boats will be put away and off the market until spring.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

i agree with others, patience, bring cash, offer low.

it seems like a lot of folks try to pawn off their "runs like new, but oh shucks we can't test drive because of ice" boats here in winter. if you're looking for a project though jan-feb is a great time to buy.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

another thing I do when buying is drive an older vehicle to go look and often, tell the seller it looks like it's worth the price but man I just can't swing that right now. Be surprised how many like to give you a deal if you make them feel good about it.

Watermann

Some good ideas and food for thought. The buy in winter strategy has a problem with engine testing here as well with freezing temps daily for 3 months. I have seen very few boats advertised in the winter here, mostly small fishing boats. I have a 1994 Chev 2500, that should do the trick for the older vehicle. A project boat is fine if that's what a guy knows he's getting into and paying for. Being duped into a project and paying through the nose is not what I have in mind.

Just had vent my frustration with the people who own all these gold plated galleons in my area. I will keep looking and hopefully find the right boat for the right price.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know about eastern Washington but it seems the opposite in western Washington .I see better deals during the season then out of season don't know why that is but I've noticed it in the past. Like others have said just be patient. Seems like the deals usually come in the spring around tax time. Boats in Washington seem a bit over priced for used, we are not like other places in the country where boats are used by everyone for everything and there is a surplus of them around. Just not as many good used boats around that aren't rotted away. I've found you can usually find a better deal on a boat that's not advertised on CL. If you do see a good deal on CL you usually have a hard time getting a good deal because you are fighting with 5 other guys that will pay to full price plus. The hard part is finding stuff that's not listed anywhere just need to keep a sharp eye out when you travel to other towns.

aspeck

Staff member

I am with Avenger ... No one likes to hear how bad their boat is. Patience is first. Second, be prepared to make an offer and walk, leaving the offer open as long as you haven't found something else. If they bite, great! If not, keep looking. You might be surprised the calls you get a month or two later when the boat hasn't sold.

ex. Man, I really like your boat. I will have a few things to do to it, but I would be so happy to be able to take care of this boat. I understand why you are asking $8500 for it, but at this time I can really only swing $5000 for a boat. I can pay you that in cash, or with a check, whichever you would prefer. I just ask for a sea trial before final agreement. This is an open offer, so you can think about it for a while, if you want, but I will rescind the offer if I find another boat that I want in my price range.

This has worked for me ... Boats, cars, toys ... Good luck and be patient.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

agree, be patient, act fast. I have had good luck with craigslist, but then im usually seeking the bottom of the food chain"project" and the good deals go fast so you may have to be willing to gamble. 2 weeks ago there was a running 24' pontoon for $1000, the ad was gone before noon, sold in about 3 hours

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

It took me 18 months of daily reading Ebay and multiple Craigslist locations before I had the pleasure of driving 150 miles right before Thanksgiving to buy a 14/48 tinny at a decent price. The seller was honorable and had held the boat per our agreement pending my arrival. He had other buyers waiting.

Even then the NADA prices were a joke. The chances of actually buying a boat at the price estimates they post is very small. Maybe in some markets but not around here.

Watermann

It took me 18 months of daily reading Ebay and multiple Craigslist locations before I had the pleasure of driving 150 miles right before Thanksgiving to buy a 14/48 tinny at a decent price. The seller was honorable and had held the boat per our agreement pending my arrival. He had other buyers waiting.

Even then the NADA prices were a joke. The chances of actually buying a boat at the price estimates they post is very small. Maybe in some markets but not around here.

Yeah NADA gets close but seems to under value the boats and they don't have a condition box to check either which to me is very important. Thing is if someone wants to buy a boat and they need some bank money, they won't get a penny over that NADA.

I also have decided that glass run about has narrowed my focus down, I'm thinking I will look harder for some larger tinny's since I know nothing about glass working. From what I'm seeing on the market in my price range, if I get a glass boat sooner or later I would be tearing it down.

Watermann

Found an older model Starcraft Chieftain or Islander with a 120 basket case merc cruiser sitting in a fenced in junk lot rotting. Going to meet the owner after work tomorrow to talk and take a closer look. She has a beautiful hull. If we make a deal she is going to be a full rebuild. Wish me luck!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

sweet. best of luck, sounds like a cool project

Watermann

No deal... He had no titles for boat & trailer. 45 year old pile of junk mouse pooped motor parts in an apple bin that were scavenged off some other boats. The original Iron Duke 2.5 for the Starcraft was rusted solid with a cracked block. Controls missing, interior was partway gutted with just the rotted plywood deck left to keep the rotten transom company. The hull was in great shape other than being painted over with some house paint. The trailer was a total restore as well. He wanted $1000 for it so I came back at $500. He started to say he had more into it than that but stopping himself before the lie completely left his lips. Then he said a guy said he would buy it this August for $800 when he gets the money. I stepped up to $600 and stood tall saying I had the cash money in hand right here and now. He said he can't do the deal for that and turned me down so I walked.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

sound decision:thumb:, got to know when to walk away, know when to run:bolt:. he was seriously holding his ground, considering he has no evidence it even belongs to him to sell in the first place:rolleyes: did he have a bridge for sale too:confused:

foodfisher

Captain

Dealing like that, you must be desperate for a "PROJECT". I know a place where, if you dig deep enough you can reach China.:rolleyes:

BonairII

Commander

No title.....no deal....regardless of price IMO.