History Channel daily schedule

QC

Supreme Mariner
The other thread posted by one of our esteemed colleagues reminded me I have a question/observation. I have a home office and usually have TV news playing in the background. I decided I wanted to record any interesting shows, so I started poking around with the onscreen guide last week. Wanting a History lesson or two I thought, of course, History Channel. But WTH!! It's like everyday is a mini-marathon. The same show over and over and over. Today, I might actually find something as it is "Nostradamus Effect" and there are some interesting segments, but why do this??? Tomorrow it's Modern Marvels all day (night programming is weird too, but I note this as a daytime question). Why show, any show 12 times in a row? Why not mix up their programming? I am sure there is a logical explanation, but I have never seen programming like this. One day all one show, next day, all another show. Very odd to me.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: History Channel daily schedule

Keeps operating costs low.
They still have to pay somebody to push "Play", right :facepalm:

I am sure it is a simple answer like that, but seems it would hurt advertising revenues. I am sure they know more about it than I do!!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

More than probably there on the way out. Lack of capital and there not the only company facing this issue

Thalasso

Commander

Well it's during the daytime. Not many viewers until later. Look what happens after say 11:00 at night. The same thing is on that was on from 8:00 on. It's all about prime time when they can get more advertising to pay the bills

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Many of the "satellite" channels do the same thing, QC. Even the sports channels play replays most of the time.

As mentioned above, advertisers have sooooo many choices they insist on very cheap rates and the broadcasters are really struggling to break even, let alone make a profit.

On the other hand it is hard to understand why the advertisers would pay anything at all for well used (up?) exposure.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I guess I hadn't noticed the other channels repeating the same show in the way that HC does. I'll look a little deeper, but Speed Channel, for example, mixes up a lot of repeated shows, not a day of the same show (series) over and over.

southkogs

Staff member

They still have to pay somebody to push "Play", right...
Actually no - many of the systems are automated anymore. It really doesn't take a person to run a playlist like that. Much like radio.

Network television is about to have to game change in a serious way, much like broadcast has had to: On demand point and click programming via the web is going to blast off in the next couple of years. Think iTunes for TV.

bassman284

Commander

Most of the "good stuff" on History channel anymore is the old stuff. I always liked Modern Marvels but it's rare anymore to see one I haven't seen at least once before. It looks like not a lot of that stuff is being made anymore. Apparently the only things that make money for them are shows like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Gator Rasslers, etc. - pseudo reality junk that for me, at least, is pretty much unwatchable. It's sad because History Channel used to be my go to when I wanted something interesting.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Actually no - many of the systems are automated anymore. It really doesn't take a person to run a playlist like that. Much like radio.
Yeah, that was kind of my point. It doesn't take more work to play a mix than a repetitive "mini-marathon" of the same series each day. I still fail to see the benefit, cost or sell, of running the same show all day on Wednesday and then a different one all day on Thursday. If like bassman, you are looking for something interesting, then they would seem to have a better chance of catching you if there was some variety on a daily basis.

nwcove

Admiral

many channels are doing it now.....marathon after marathon. dont get me wrong....i would watch 4 hrs of bugs bunny on a thursday night, but 4 hours of pawn stars repeats gets old quick! :D

r.j.dawg

Ensign

HGTV is horrible. Repeat after repeat. Did somebody say Bugs Bunny???:confused: What channel?? Kwayzy Wabbit...:D

southkogs

Staff member

Yeah, that was kind of my point. It doesn't take more work to play a mix than a repetitive "mini-marathon" of the same series each day. I still fail to see the benefit, cost or sell, of running the same show all day on Wednesday and then a different one all day on Thursday. If like bassman, you are looking for something interesting, then they would seem to have a better chance of catching you if there was some variety on a daily basis.
I think it's the availability of content really. Granted there are documentaries galore out there, but with cable channels soooooo specific (The Miniature Giraffe Channel, the Free Range Llama Channel, Tinny Channel, Glasser Channel, etc.) content has to get scarce sometimes. Heck, even Hollywood is just producing repeats on the big screen right now.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Back in the '60's I took a job with a new TV station in Youngstown, Ohio. I had recently gotten my FCC class-A license and thought I was pretty lucky as a fresh-faced kid to begin my career with a "start-up".

By the third day it was obvious that we didn't have much programming variety, as we were re-playing the same handful of movies over and over, with a few old half-hour clips in between. And these were repeating often as well.

I asked the station manager why we played the same movie three days in a row (albeit at three different times of day) and he replied, "That's our format!". That was it! No further explanation.

I stayed a few weeks, left, and took a job with an AM radio station about twenty miles away. WXTV was off the air about eight months later. No surprise there.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

The History channel has been airing marathons for a while. I took a quick look at our cable channels for this afternoon. There were at least 9 channels that had marathons. As far as the shows the History channel broadcasts, very few actually deal with history. History isn't entertaining enough for the average viewer.......

rbh

Fleet Admiral

It seems that the "fresh" programs air in they're days time slots for both EST and PST, then repeated the next day and on the weekends.
Other programs rotate every 6 hours or so.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

The History channel has been airing marathons for a while. I took a quick look at our cable channels for this afternoon. There were at least 9 channels that had marathons. As far as the shows the History channel broadcasts, very few actually deal with history. History isn't entertaining enough for the average viewer.......
The History channel is DEFINITELY not the History channel anymore. :facepalm:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

The History channel is DEFINITELY not the History channel anymore. :facepalm:

Agreed i cannot tolerate TV that exploit's people...and they think there cool being on tv..Reality show's. SiFy Hisotry....Tlc etc were my go to channels. Oh well more time for the gym or another boat...;)