Boating with kids

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We have 8 month old twin boys, and a boat. That's the biggest reason we got a boat, to spend family time together. However, now that we're making plans for the summer, my wife is petrified at the thought of them being in a boat. Other than keeping their life jackets on them when anywhere near the water and watching them like a hawk, what are some tips in making sure that they'll be safe and happy? And just as important, my wife. We also plan on taking them to baby swim lessons this winter, and I'm not the strongest swimmer, so I plan on taking some lessons too.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boating with kids

at 8 months......keep them out of the sun......have a place for then to take a nap..enjoy your time with your faimly

southkogs

Staff member

Do some driveway practice while you're doing "stuff" to the boat at home. "Okay boys, come help dad do ______ in the boat. We have to follow the same rules, just like if we were out on the boat ..." And get the practicing immediate obedience, "aye, aye sir!"

Also, pack some "distractions" with you: a toy or two, a book, plan some swim stops ... etc. Whatever works. Think a few steps ahead of the "attention span" of a boy toddler and you'll stretch your time with a little less emotional energy.

Be ready to pull the plug a bit early sometimes too. It just goes like that. If you're ready for it, you don't get as mad/cranky about it and everyone generally stays in a reasonably good mood.

Philster

Captain

There are few ways to counter irrational fears; statistics won't even work. Is akin to the fear of flying. Make it a protective parent and their kids and you can only address is with tiny little steps. If you try to make a rational, logical and well-thought out argument as to why it's okay, don't expect a rational, logical, well-thought out reaction that addresses the reality of it all.

Take a boating safety course and a CPR class... and swimming classes. Seeing some aggressive action towards safety would probably help. Action moves us forward; chatter and 'convincing' do not.

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

Two eight month old boys? I personally think that's insane, man ;). Find a baby-sitter and leave the rug-rats behind and have some fun and relaxation. My god, I still remember the first time I allowed myself to finally relax and take a nap. You won't mentally or physically relax for the next many years. In the recent past, we finally allowed the kids to stay home by themselves while we went to the grocery store, then later on, a date. WE WERE ON PAROLE! Besides, you're probably going to break down on the water eventually and two crying babies to deal with won't help your troubleshooting skills.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips so far! I never thought of doing some dry runs in the driveway, great idea! I need to find them some UV protectant rashguards or shirts that'll still keep them cool too. I already have a pre-launch and post-recovery checklist that I do, and I'll have to make sure I add some steps to them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

All this is very premature, atx.

They are infants. Wait 'til they are walking and talking toddlers before you even consider taking them on the boat, then begin the preliminary steps. . .swimming, wearing PFDs, obeying immediately and without question, practicing being on the boat; what to do, where to sit, etc, etc.

Fear of the unknown is normal. . . for you and Mom more than the boys. . .when it is known and familiar the real fun begins.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Funny the disparity in this topic. It's brought up often and usually there is more agreement on taking them. I have three boys, all three were on board as infants. All were comforted by the cruise, and would sleep just like a car ride. We would make a small area with a towel draped over for their own personal bimini, and they slept like . . . uhhhh . . . babies. They loved playing on the beach. Bring a small inflatable pool. We have also boated with friend's infants. They are fine for short trips, and even reasonably long days, but be ready to abort mission as some have said.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I totally agree with QC. Our kids love going on the boat. That's when they nap the best! Our daughter first went on the boat when she was about 6 months old, our son was only about a month old. Like oops said the most important thing is to keep them out of the sun as much as possible and hydrated. I saw an infant a couple years ago who got severely sunburnt from being in the sun to long. It was hard to see her like that.

86 century

Ensign

The biggest thing for my boy was the noise.

We started taking him out at about 9m get a good pdf that turns them face up.
Mass amounts of sun screen spf 50 or so.
Take it easy on them for a wile if you can run the boat in the drive way with them aboard.
In no time you will have to new boating buddys.

My youngest is 3 now you cant keep him out of the boat or water. He likes the little jet boat the best it turns so fast and witn no windshield all the wind makes it feal like 100mph at just over 30mph.

Good luck

Philster

Captain

Did you ever watch House Hunters and the wife is like, "OMG, this house has too many places for little Jeffery (who is 4) to get hurt. We need a rancher with no pool, no stairs and it blah blah blah."

As if the kid is going to be a kid forever. By the time midsummer is here, your kids will be twice as old.

southkogs

Staff member

Though to kinda' balance it a little ...

I was in boats as a kid (we have pictures of me on board before I can remember being on board), and my kids have been much the same. However, it was all inland boating on pretty calm water. In other words - easier boating.

Rocking and rolling out on the Great Lakes or the Ocean ... I'd probably be leaning towards JB's "no way Jose."

Be wise 'bout where you're taking them.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Agree with natemoore and QC - They're infants, they won't have a clue. Get the babysitter, and use the boat for 'grown-up time' with the wife. She'll be happy the boys are safe, you'll be happy because she'll be happy, and they'll be happy because they're infants. 'Quality' family time with infants will be playing on the living room floor with cars and blocks and stuffed animals.

aspeck

Staff member

There are pictures of me as an infant sleeping on the deck under a canopy. I am told that was the best place to get me to take an afternoon nap. Put me in the boat and I was out! Born the end of September and boating in May. There are a few that say I didn't turn out too badly, guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder! :facepalm:

Bottom line, do what you AND momma are comfortable with. You have a few months till boating season heats up, decide then.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I got started on boats around age 5 and I cant think of a better way to start childern off and I cant add to whats all ready ben said but I raised 3 daughters on my boats and now I am enjoying grand kids on boats

driving 640 gif.jpgthe boss 640 gif.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member

I also think that the kids are too young at this point to be on the boat, except for perhaps limited time and ideal conditons. If you day launch, then that is even worse.

Next year and beyond will be much better. This year should probably be one or two trials on how they like it, can you handle them, etc. An assistant may be worth having along so that there are more adults than infants.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We definitely have someone else on the boat the first couple of times we try it. If neither of us feel uncomfortable, then they'll have to wait until next year.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Babies and toddlers require a lot of care and supervision. They also have short attention spans. I would find it to be quite an ordeal to take them out on a boat. I don't think you can really teach an 8 month old to swim either. I have 3 children and they learned to swim between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. The youngest one was and is very athletic. I didn't have a power boat when they were little but I started taking them out with me in my canoe when they were 4-5 years old. That made their momma nervous but I'm a former lifeguard and collegiate swimmer so I always felt they were safe with me.
I wouldn't want to take kids on a boat until they were at least 4-5 and able to swim pretty well.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mrs. Fleetwin and I always took them. PFD's for sure. Glad we did. Our three year old, decided one day to "bail out". Scary for sure.

We made NO big deal out of it as he was "bobbing like a cork" with his little PFD on. Eyes as big as saucers but not scared. To this day, that one loves the water.

Looking back, it was funny.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Been there done that..Twice now. Took a page from my father...Babies do not go on cruises or fun rides or any type of fishing
event...However one can use the boat to transport the family to a remote beach for the family picnic or what ever you may want to call it. Once there let the wife setup shop and have some boating fun wives love to nest with new kids.

As time went on my father picked up a larger boat and it was time to ski tube and yes fishing had begun with the old man. My mother would take movies of us from the shore learning to ski..super 8 movies at that..i still have copies. I will never forget fishing with him the guy could fish for 4-8 hours at a crack straight..it was so bad as teenagers we would still go with him with one proviso at any time we could get out of the boat and swim in ...looking back he didnt care if the fish were biting or not..it was his escape.

Iit was perhaps the best time of my life...yes we went to ymca to learn how to swim in the winter months all of us were on the swim team...Learned how to camp..fish...made quite a few connections with people along the way it was a great time i could go on for hours. In the end i have never met a man who loved to fish as much as that guy did...one eye on the bite and another on us..To this day i still take my 86 yr old mother on cruises down the river on hot summer nights and she lights up like a light house... Remembering the old days.