Your first car

11 footer

Lieutenant
Re: Your first car

I'm two young to drive it on the street, but I guess you could call the 1988 Ford Crown vic LX mine. Its black with red inside's. She has 160,000 miles on her.<br /><br />My dad bought it new. It stoped being his dayley driver about five years ago, but he still drove it every few weeks. Then he came home one day and the gas tank had let go and poored gas all over the garuge, that was it, he was gonna junk it. But I talked him into fixing it and keeping it.<br /><br /> He did, fixed it, a week later coming back from collecting rent in the city it starting rapping, where the exaust pipe go's into one of the catteletter converters was rusted out. That was it, he drove it home and called to have it junked, when the guy showed up I had put it i the garuge and said he had the whrong house :D <br /><br />My dad was pissed when he found out, but when he came home the next day he told me that if I could get it to pass MA inspection It was mine. I got some "goo" at the auto parts place and used the kit on the exause pipe. It worked :) the car got a sticker. <br /><br />A year later she sitts in the yard, all rusting out. But it starts every time I try to start her, I take her around the block every once in a while to make sure the tires don't get flat spots ;) .<br /><br />With a 5.0 V8 and posie traction she will do a mean burn out :D I hope my dad lets me mess around in the yard with it untill I get my licence, I'd love to make it my first car.<br /><br />BTW,<br />Its ratted to two 5,000 pounds!!!

D

DJ

I remember those days. The Bu-hick, as it was called, would run well past 130 and still have a bit of steam. On those BF-G's, of those days, I'm lucky to be alive!<br /><br />The only car, I couldn't beat, in my home town, was my buddy's; 440-6 Cuda. <br /><br />But, that car was, and is , a beer can compared to the Buick. He had: no A/C, no automatic, no power windows, no power locks, no-nothing.<br /><br />It was an engine strapped into a BASIC car. But, he still has it! <br /><br />Because of the lack of "creature comforts", the babes (including my my wonderful BLONDE wife) preferered th Bu-hick.<br /><br />Oh man, if my mom ever knew just how much "pep" that car had. :eek: Uffda! My secret is safe with my "honey". :)

RICKRICK1

Ensign

1955 FORD Crown Victoria--original when I got her ($300) and original when I sold her ($3500). Best Car I ever had was 1965 Chevy Pickup-327 Vette motor, 4-speedcar not truck 410 gears positrack.<br />Got 8 mpg. Went thru 3 sets of rear tires that summer.

Ralph 123

Captain

I was that cat's meow in my 1976 AMC Pacer! :D I felt like the boy in the plastic bubble! I put nice chrome rims and fat tires on it but it didn't help much. Couldn't go neckin' in that car unless you were into exhibisionism....<br /><br />For those of you not familiar with this classic American vehicle of distinction, here she be:<br /><br />
erik.gif

gaugeguy

Captain

Mine was a 67 pontiac tempest, the poor man's GTO. Paid $150 bucks for it. Blew the engine in my girlfriends driveway, while her parents were away. They didn't particulary care for me, I think their exact words were "stay the **** away from our daughter". They weren't happy when they pulled up and we were towing the car away. Great car though.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I was shaped by my first car! :) A 1974 plymouth sebring. Looked like a cuda but came with the exhilerating slant 6 :( . I got it when my dad was going to have it junked. Gave it to me for free and told me to keep it out of his driveway. A trip down to the Napa store and I charged a distributor cap to his account and guess what ran like new.<br /><br />The thing was a contradiction in life. I loved it but it looked like crap, it always worked but nothing worked on it, it was slow and handled poorly but it was a blast to drive. It came to me with all the options: 2-60 air conditioning, AM radio without cassette, no dash lights, the only headlights that worked were the high beams, so we aimed them down, and called the others "spares", running lights what are those, bald bias tires, and rust that left the trunk useless.<br /><br />We tried drowning it by driving it into a lake, beating it by driving it down a sleding hill, crushing it by running into a truck, burning it by not changing the oil, or radiator fluid for a couple of years. It took untold numbers of neutral drops, power stands, and doughnuts and 'IT WOULD NOT DIE'!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: <br /><br />When the leaf springs rusted off the temporary mount we made after the trip down the sledding hill, I finally had to buy a new one. I drove it to the junkyard and the engine still ran great.<br /><br />I still have dreams about that car. :D

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

1965 Ford Galaxy Station Wagon with the 352 cu in 4 bbl and a tailgate door that was totally inoperable :mad: Car was heavier than a tank and had little teeny drum brakes on all 4 corners that were boosted to the max....just a minor tap on the pedal would put you into full lock :eek: AM radio that blared out the great clear channel stations of the era (CKLW,WLS, etc) and that wonderfull imitation woodgrain siding :rolleyes: . Fender wells in rear were rusted out so you really didn't want to do too much driving on gravel roads :( <br />Big bench seats that would easily seat 4 abreast. :D <br />It was a great drive in movie machine.....

rolmops

Vice Admiral

A 1959 Willies jeep,the six cylinder flathead type

JasonB

Lieutenant

Baby blue '86 Ford Tempo with a massive 2.3l cranking out 86hp through the front wheel drive. Top speed of about 106 (don't ask....). I put 130k miles on that car. Got rid of it after 8+ years, 2 commuting college degrees, and lots of fun. Never let me down in the 130k I drove it. had 175k when I sold it and is still on the road 2 years later.

KennyKenCan

Commander

This thread doesn't like me.<br /><br />I have posted my response 3 times already.<br /><br />Heres # 4.<br /><br />My first car was a 1967 Pontiac Firebird, 326 c.i. with dual Holly 750 double pumpers, 1/4 cam with roller lifters and rockers, headers and straight exhaust out the back, all linked to a PowerGlide tranny with high rev bands, backed by a Franklin Quick Change rear-end.<br /><br />I could leave a 200' stretch in first gear, and wind her out to 85 MPH where I would hit second gear and leave another 200' stretch and then max out at 6000 RPM and 135 MPH!<br /><br />Drove that car out to San Diego twice while in the service, without a hitch.<br /><br />Mom and Dad made me sell it after the military, too many tickets.<br /><br />They made me get a Chevy Vega.<br /><br />But thats another story.

aspeck

Staff member

KKC S-W-W-E-E-E-E-E-T-T-T-T-T ride! Gotta love those old Firebirds! I am salivating just thinking about 67 Firebird - what color?<br /><br />Gaugeguy - that 67 Tempest is nothing to sneeze at! I remember riding in my Grandparents (he liked either luxury or hot cars, would switch between them)

KennyKenCan

Commander

aspeck,<br /><br />That '67 Firebird was maroon with white stripes, white leather upholstry with black carpets.<br /><br />I loved them '67 firebirds too.<br /><br />It was the only year I liked, because all others have the side markers, none on the '67.