anyone got the over/under?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Im going with the site will be down for 56 hours and VB will be difficult to eradicate.

iboats-update.jpg

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I promise to to patient, understanding and appreciative as the tech team takes on the long-awaited and much-needed eradication of VB. I do not envy those folks....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I dont envy them either. I have gotten know a few of the mods personally and my heart goes out to them. I especially know that VB 5 was a disaster of software forced onto previous programmers.

Im still standing with 56 hours

colonel_sanders

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly is VB?

VB = Vbulletin
It's the software that's been used in some shape or form for the last 16ish years. Saying VB is like saying Windows with the number behind VB being the version of Windows.
Taking the analogy a little further...
VB3.0 = Windows 98
VB4.X = Windows XP Service Pack 1
VB5.X = Windows ME or Windows Vista

colonel_sanders

Administrator
Staff member
I dont envy them either. I have gotten know a few of the mods personally and my heart goes out to them. I especially know that VB 5 was a disaster of software forced onto previous programmers.

Im still standing with 56 hours

At the 56 hour mark i'll be fishing. ;-)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
What exactly is VB?

Its the software that the forum uses

V-bulletin or VB was the software thav nearly every forum used. VB 4 was probably the best, however for security reasons the software needed to be upgraded

the issue is all the programmers that founded the company and software left, VB hires a bunch of hacks, and we end up with VB 5.

colonel_sanders

Administrator
Staff member
the issue is all the programmers that founded the company and software left, VB hires a bunch of hacks, and we end up with VB 5.
Some of the programmers that left VB started a company called Xenforo. We're moving to Xenforo 2.1. We're really excited and TBH a little scared. This truly is a daunting transition that will impact almost every part of iboats.com.

colonel_sanders

Administrator
Staff member
Not even a little jumping... We've been testing and working through various challenges on this transition for 5 months. There will be no magic page bouncing.

Attachments

• photo340608.jpg
    photo340608.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
VB = Vbulletin
It's the software that's been used in some shape or form for the last 16ish years. Saying VB is like saying Windows with the number behind VB being the version of Windows.
Taking the analogy a little further...
VB3.0 = Windows 98
VB4.X = Windows XP Service Pack 1
VB5.X = Windows ME or Windows Vista

Sorry - VB5.X = MSDOS 0, MSDOS 0.1, MSDOS 0.2, etc.

GA_Boater

What does it tell you when two large forums owned by the owners of VBulletin are still on VB3 and VB4 when those versions are no longer supported?

jbcurt00

Staff member
43hrs from 10a EST 9/30, just because I like a 43 O/U bet....

May the minions be steadfast and successful in their mission.

southkogs

Staff member
I'll take the 40 hour mark, I was thinking roughly where JB was. The determination of the team should keep 'em under a full 48. We'll hope that God is logged in and working with 'em.

GA_Boater

How long did the upgrade to VB5 take? It wasn't hours, or days - not 1 week, not 2 weeks, 3 weeks may be just right.

I don't tend to be optimistic on things this because in a former life I used to be on the development side. All too often the best laid plans......POOF.

I'll gladly admit if I'm wrong. After the new forum comes up, there will be problems, something always falls through the cracks. From what I've seen, it does look good and has some nice features. But keep in mind that it will be different.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hopefully all our pics and post don’t go poof !
Still being optimistic .. The glass is always half full .. God speed on the transition gentlemen!