What is a traqditional New Years for you all?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
t was tradition for a few of us kids to visit the EMERG in Hamilton every New Years day. We would try and ski down the ungroomed hill that we Hamiltonians call a mountain, it's actually The Niagara Escarpment. Not a smart thing to try.

Then when we got older hanging around 1000 other Italians at dinner dances was in vogue, still is. We actually went 3 years ago. I wanted to leave around 10 but was the designated driver. I can't do the Hustle like I once did circa 77'.

When I was a kid in the early 60's it was traditional that neighbours and Dad would bring out the shotguns and fire off a few at midnight. Tragically one night some duffus on the mountain fired off a slug and a little girl was killed. That tradition thankfully ended.

I can't forget the 10 years I was married to a wee Lassie whos Family was from Scotland. I didn't attend many because of working shifts at the Steel Plant but can tell you the Scots take New Years very, very seriously. It starts around the 24th and lasts well into the new year. Man I miss the steak pies and real deal Yorkshire Pudding made from scratch. The Johnny Walker Black wasn't bad either. One New Year around 2AM I got a call on the radio from the Shift Sergeant to come to the main gate. There was my Brother in Laws with a box of goodies for the crew and myself. I told the guard to check the box, sure enough a Mikey of Scotch was in it. They were good folks, I'm sure they still are.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
My tradition here lately is just trying to stay awake past 12 .. :)
We always eat greens and black eyed peas on New Year’s Day for luck ..
Idk, that might just a southern thing but we never miss doing that ...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm was born a Yankee and my wife is a Southerner and we have relatives from all up and down the East coast. So my traditions are strange.

At 6PM on the 31st, light a bayberry candle and let it burn all the way. That's a Pennsylvania coal country lucky thing. I have 3 going and they are getting short at 12:45A.

Eat some sardines - I had a can with crackers for a snack about 8PM and have another for New Years day. I'm covering the bases. This is from New England.

Black-eyed Peas - I make a nicely spicy dip to nosh on with blue corn chips. Black-eyed peas are a Southern tradition and goes good with football bowl games.

From my Yankee roots - Sauerkraut and pork. It's ready to toss in the pot for dinner on New Years day with some smashed potatoes.

I don't have any Scot friends, so I'm missing the Johnny Black. Maybe a liquor store is open on the holiday?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
One would think that a family that dates back to pre-colonial times on both sides, (1610 and 1720’s) would have long standing traditions in place by now.

But that is not the case. The old world tradition of sauerkraut and pork with dumplings was handed down through my mom’s great grandfather who immigrated to the US from Germany in the 1890’s.

Guess my dad’s family (English) tradition is staying alive in the wilderness for 400+ years..lol

alldodge

Staff member
Went to bed at 9, wake up at 6, just another day

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
We have a pot of beans on, and pork ribs ribs ready to go and a lot of greens and cornbread.. Nothing set in stone tho. I'm originally from the PNW and very liberal parents open to anything trendy at the time so nothing traditional for me.

I slept thru most of the night, and the party. My wife got poured into bed about 0400 which is about when I usually get up.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just sat here and had a beer and watched TV last night, same thing we have done for the last few years.