IF you had 2 years to prep for a job you wanted.....

ezbtr

Commander
Cuz I'm getting bored, did shipping port IT, mgmt, repairs(my fav), electrical for IT, built servers, manlifts, on top/in, truck scales,underground of ship cranes repaired EVERYTHING, ran data centers, BUT got in accident (leg and back 5 yrs ago) retired medically - super hazardous, do NOT want to do IT again, something TAME, no patience for any long schooling, what would you do? I'm thinking a city job here, simple, NO travel, crazy hours, don't need any high stress or high pay, need to wait for my son to graduate college, and then see IF I can get back to work, what's ya'lls thoughts??? Walk with a cane at times.
Thanks, loved this board since 2002(?) and all the advice, hope all had a great Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If It would make my mortgage payment I would just sell snow cones on the beach ...:)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
French fry truck.-------Turn 5 cents worth of taters into $3.95 with a little training of course.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Open your own PC repair shop? Greeter at Walmart? Custodian at a school?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
sell carved coconuts on the beach to tourists
run a bait shop
bar tender at a rum bar on the beach

Old Ironmaker

Captain
French fry truck.-------Turn 5 cents worth of taters into $3.95 with a little training of course.

I have a saying amongst many others. "Don't go into the French fry business if you don't know the price of potatoes." You do don't forget the Malt vinegar.

One thing I quickly learned when I first retired. I took my dream job working at a brand new Golf course but NFL, not for long. Fresh air, drive around on a gator or golf cart all day, no stress, no office, no employees, no responsibility, no visits from The Ministry of Labour or the Ministry of the Environment, no 16 or 24 hour days, no 2 in the morning phone calls, plus easy peasy work. And it was next to the Hamilton On. airport where the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is. So every few days I could watch the vintage planes fly by up close and personal. And I was making pocket change, minimum wage was 8 bucks and hour. What could be wrong with that? My accountant lost it on me. My pension was set up where we could bank vacation time, I was getting 8 weeks plus when I took my pension so I had a month banked and based on your performance we could qualify for 2 months paid leave when you retire. So I was being paid for about 6 months at full salary. He said I was paying more than 8 bucks an hour in taxes with this little job. Then my 20 something manager thought I would do his job for him because I had been in supervision then management for the last 25 years, yea right. He actually gave me a list of managerial duties I might help him out with, like setting up a Health and Safety program with job procedures as well as an ISO program to get the course certified that he didn't know he should until I told him. I said of course I can do that. Generally an engineering firm would charge $250.00 an hour, not a week or day an hour. I would only charge $150.00 an hour if the owners chose to go that route. He lost it more than my accountant did. I talked to the owners and they were not surprised, they were surprised College Boy didn't have a clue as to where to start. What I am so terribly trying to say is be careful as far as doing something you are highly over qualified to do and making a low wage can set you back when it comes to income taxes or benefits. I had to resign afterwards as I wasn't ever going to get my head shot framed for employee of the month. The owners wanted to know if I was interested in taking the managers job for a fraction of what I was getting at the plant if College Boy decided to leave. I politely declined, never burn a bridge. The thing I quickly learned is I don't take supervision well, especially from kids. Turning your brain off is something that is difficult to say the least, that is the challenge of taking a job well below your qualifications. Good luck I hope you find something that will suit you but investigate how making a few $$ can effect your benefits you may be getting.

Johnny D

ezbtr

Commander
I have a saying amongst many others. "Don't go into the French fry business if you don't know the price of potatoes." You do don't forget the Malt vinegar.

One thing I quickly learned when I first retired. I took my dream job working at a brand new Golf course but NFL, not for long. Fresh air, drive around on a gator or golf cart all day, no stress, no office, no employees, no responsibility, no visits from The Ministry of Labour or the Ministry of the Environment, no 16 or 24 hour days, no 2 in the morning phone calls, plus easy peasy work. And it was next to the Hamilton On. airport where the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is. So every few days I could watch the vintage planes fly by up close and personal. And I was making pocket change, minimum wage was 8 bucks and hour. What could be wrong with that? My accountant lost it on me. My pension was set up where we could bank vacation time, I was getting 8 weeks plus when I took my pension so I had a month banked and based on your performance we could qualify for 2 months paid leave when you retire. So I was being paid for about 6 months at full salary. He said I was paying more than 8 bucks an hour in taxes with this little job. Then my 20 something manager thought I would do his job for him because I had been in supervision then management for the last 25 years, yea right. He actually gave me a list of managerial duties I might help him out with, like setting up a Health and Safety program with job procedures as well as an ISO program to get the course certified that he didn't know he should until I told him. I said of course I can do that. Generally an engineering firm would charge $250.00 an hour, not a week or day an hour. I would only charge $150.00 an hour if the owners chose to go that route. He lost it more than my accountant did. I talked to the owners and they were not surprised, they were surprised College Boy didn't have a clue as to where to start. What I am so terribly trying to say is be careful as far as doing something you are highly over qualified to do and making a low wage can set you back when it comes to income taxes or benefits. I had to resign afterwards as I wasn't ever going to get my head shot framed for employee of the month. The owners wanted to know if I was interested in taking the managers job for a fraction of what I was getting at the plant if College Boy decided to leave. I politely declined, never burn a bridge. The thing I quickly learned is I don't take supervision well, especially from kids. Turning your brain off is something that is difficult to say the least, that is the challenge of taking a job well below your qualifications. Good luck I hope you find something that will suit you but investigate how making a few $$ can effect your benefits you may be getting.

Johnny D

yup is what I'm thinking - I can't mess up the bennies I already have , but I'm keeping looking for alternatives ;)