2019 Nascar - Race #2 - Atlanta

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why does Nascar schedule Atlanta the week after Daytona? The weather is so iffy and usually not good in late February. Rain may impact on-track activity Friday and Saturday with some clearing on Sunday. Don't be surprised if Cup starting spots are set by owner points cuz qualifying may be canceled for rain.

From MRN, the weekend schedule with TV on FS1 except for Sunday's Cup race on FOX;

Atlanta Schedule of Events

All Times Eastern
Friday, February 22
Monster Energy Cup Series Practice: 11:35 a.m.-12:55 p.m. (NASCAR.com)
Xfinity Series Practice: 1:05 p.m.-1:55 p.m. (NASCAR.com)
Gander Outdoors Truck Series Practice: 2:05 p.m.-2:55 p.m. (NASCAR.com)
Xfinity Series Final Practice: 3:05 p.m.-3:55 p.m. (FS1)
Gander Outdoors Truck Series Final Practice: 4:05 p.m.-4:50 p.m. (FS1)
Monster Energy Cup Series Qualifying: 5:00 p.m. (PRN/FS1)
Saturday, February 23
Xfinity Series Qualifying: 9:35 a.m. (FS1)
Gander Outdoors Truck Series Qualifying: 10:40 a.m. (FS1)
Monster Energy Cup Series Final Practice: 12:00 p.m.-1:20 p.m. (FS1)
Radio Pre-Race: 1:30 p.m. (PRN, TV Pre-Race: 1:30 p.m. (FS1)
Xfinity Series Rinnai 250: 2:00 p.m. (PRN/FS1)
Radio Pre-Race: 4:00 p.m. (MRN)
Gander Outdoors Truck Series Ultimate Tailgating 200: 4:30 p.m. (MRN/FS1)
Sunday, February 24
Radio Pre-Race: 1:00 (PRN), TV Pre-Race: 1:30 (FOX)
Monster Energy Cup Series Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500: 2:00 p.m. (PRN/FOX)
The Cup entry list has 39 team for the 40 spots.

News and Notes from as many places as I can find. A little bit from Jayski's
  • McDonalds will be on Larson's #42 as a primary season sponsor after switching from the #1 and on Wallace's #43 as a single race primary.
  • Regarding my weather rant - If the race was switched with Vegas (next week), this what it looks like today in Lost Wages. Hush my mouth! :facepalm:
    Dz8PL5QWsAADHoP.jpg
  • Atlanta is the first tapered spacer race or according to The Twerp, a restrictor plate.
  • I learned something via Bob Pockrass - All Cup cars have had tapered spacers last few yrs. The tapered spacer for Atlanta will limit horsepower to a target of 550hp. I thought it was plates or nothing until this year. :confused:
  • TV ratings - Same as the Daytona 500 last year, (5.3 vs. 5.3) and but off 1% in viewership from last year (9.2 million viewers vs. 9.3 million).

iBoats Fantasy Live
  • Something that may help iFL'ers, the Top 10 Driver Ratings for Atlanta;
    Dz3XhW9W0AAOn3y.jpg
  • Our weekly winner at Daytona is 88 & 24 TO THE TOP!. The 1st doorstop award for 2019. :first:
  • The pole locks at 5:05PM tomorrow.
  • Don't forget that you can only use a starter driver 10 times. So your starters from Daytona have 9 picks left.
  • Starter and bonus picks lock on Sunday at 2:45PM.

Good luck,

The Humpster

GA_Boater

From what I can tell, the fog is burning off and the rain has stopped. That's by actual observation. I looked off my back porch 61.2 miles from the track. Cup practice is due to start at 11:35, so then we'll know.

GA_Boater

1st on-track weather report;

partysunny.PNG

Hey - It's party sunny! :D

No sun at my place. Weepers may by a problem. We've had a bunch of rain the past week and the track surface is worn out and repaving has been talked about for several years, but the drivers like it for some reason. The worn track is one reason why the lead car runs away from the pack. The new rules package is supposed to tighten up racing. We'll see on Sunday.

GA_Boater

The only practice before qualifying is over. Top cars are Bowyer, Almirola, ADillon, Busch1, Hamlin, Truex, Jones, The Twerp, Joey and Suarez.

There was no pack running, they all kept away from one another. This new package with a more protruding splitter and taller spoiler may prove interesting in Q-ing cuz they have to run together. Speeds are down about 6MPH from last year with 200 less HP today.

Qualifying begins at 5:10 and pole locks at 5:05. Good luck picking a pole winner with how the practice played out.

It was partly sunny or cloudy depending on you optimism, but it may rain between 2 and 5 according to the hourly forecast.

One last thing - The 1st inspection is now, between practice and qualifying.

GA_Boater

Hey Humpty - Who won the pole?

Almirola wins the pole at Atlanta. Stenhouse will start second, followed by Bowyer, Hamlin,Suarez, The Twerp, Larson Busch1, Truex, ADillon, Johnson and McDowell.

So who gets 5 bonus points for Almirola's first pole since 2012? Do we have to wait for Sunday?

Car chiefs were sent home for the #36 and #52 cars for multiple pre-qualifying inspection fails.

Race picks lock at 2:45 on Sunday - Don't be late!

GA_Boater

Off to a good start this morning. X-Men and Truck qualifying both cancelled because of overnight rain and continued misting. It's supposed to improve weather-wise. Looking out the window - :noidea:

Final Cup practice is scheduled for Noon, followed by X-Race at 2 and Trucks at 4:30.

GA_Boater

Keso woke up this morning feeling poorly with flu-like symptoms. Cindric will run the #2 in practice and they say Keso will start tomorrow, but no word if he will finish the race.

The Twerp ran 12 laps and spun out during practice. Mashed the rear end pretty good. Don't know if hes going to the backup car.

D0GyhH0XQAAsDWt.jpg

GA_Boater

#18 backup pulled out of the hauler and being prepped for The Twerp.

GA_Boater

Top 10 practice results - Bowyer, The Twerp, ADillon, McDowell, LaJoie, Busch1, Joey, Hemric, Newman and Truex.

The Twerp will starting at the rear after switching to his backup.

GA_Boater

Christopher Bell wins at X-ATL. He led all but 21 laps.

Trucks will hit the track shortly.

64osby

Admiral
Hey Humpty - Who won the truck race?

Thought I would turn your blog into a thread. :rolleyes:

GA_Boater

Hey Humpty - Who won the truck race?

Thought I would turn your blog into a thread. :rolleyes:

This is practice for the Cup race tomorrow. :D

Well the Truck race has 9 laps to go under red flag for rain. If The Twerp wasn't in front, they should call it official. The Twerp won heats 1 and 2.

GA_Boater

On Twitter, a Twerp radio comm.;

"Holy moly, it looks like a snowstorm, what are we doing," Busch says. ...

"They're not just going to give it to you."

GA_Boater

They made The Twerp race to the end for the win. Good on Nascar! Sauter in 2nd, highest authorized X-Racer.

GA_Boater

Sauter said in a post-race interview he tried to wreck The Twerp on the last restart. Try harder, Johnny!

64osby

Admiral
When will Nascar learn that the divisions there for a reason. They probably think it helps the fan base.

If the drivers are not racing for points don't let them race. Should be pretty simple to figure it out.

aspeck

Staff member
Key word ... SHOULD. NASCAR has a hard time figuring things out ...

GA_Boater

Should is right. Sauter should have tried harder! :smile:

Some fans may be late to the race. Earlier a wreck blocked an off ramp to get to the track. So the Atlanta drivers started backing down the ramp. :facepalm: #1

D0LdGOLXgAE5avT.jpg

A Truck hauler was leaving AMS and decided to use the passenger car tunnel. It's a little short. :facepalm: #2.

D0L0FnAW0AA1Yyb.jpg

And one more. Keso has had 2 IV's to counter the flu. He and Nascar say he's ready to go. I always do things that require concentration and a clear head after 2 IV's. :facepalm: #3.

Getting ready to start - Got the motors running. Competition caution at lap 35. The Twerp and Smithley starting at the back. #18 back up car and #77 multiple inspection flunks. 85 laps for heat 1 & 2, final heat is 155 laps.

Nice sunny day, kinda breezy though.