Air Rifles

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
^^^ :p

If you've never seen this, it's pretty interesting. I saw the rifle in Springfield a couple years ago.

Most of the guys I know 'round here taking the squirrels and such down are using .22s. My neighbor has a pellet gun with co2 cassettes that he uses. Though occasionally, I'll hear the .357 touch off.

Very cool video!

harringtondav

Commander
I miss or stun more tree rats than I drop with my 4.5 and 5.5 air rifles. Any shot >16' is iffy. Most are from my deck sliding door onto the deck rail or close tree. I've considered .22 shorts for better punch and accuracy. But I live in the city surrounded by neighbors. The .22 short's report isn't much worse than the pumped up Sheridan, but any over travel from a miss would make it a irresponsible choice.

alldodge

Staff member
4.5 = 177 cal
5.0 = 20 cal
5.5 = 22 cal

Think you need a better rifle or at least a better pellet. A 22 pellet should have no issue making it 50 yards with a kill. A 177 should also not have much of any issue at that

Get a pump or single break spring would do the trick. Maybe your gun needs to be refreshed

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
AllDodge, I have sent you a message about the rifle I have, hope it helps.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well whatever rifle you decide on, just don't try to lick the barrel if it is freezing out side... :laugh:

southkogs

Staff member
Hadn't looked at air rifles in YEARS until this topic ... took a peek tonight after work and found this:

... now I just kinda' wanna' ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
And to think it basically started with the Red Ryder...

A family friend who passed a while ago was a phenomenal gunsmith and machinist made a gatling gun which shot 12 gauge shells.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hadn't looked at air rifles in YEARS until this topic ... took a peek tonight after work and found this:

... now I just kinda' wanna' ...

Yeah, and ever with that kind of ability, I still would miss the target. :facepalm:

alldodge

Staff member
Can sure go thru some BB's real fast, but least its cheap

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I am content with my Hatsan break barrel in .22 Very accurate and dispatches pests with single shot effectiveness. The red squirrels here are the most destructive and have a short lifespan but the grey squirrels have taken oven VT....... just not destructive like the reds.

ezbtr

Commander
I have a Gamo 177 cal, pellet only, will do 1400 fps w/ right pellet, BUT scope SUCKS, can't zero it, it's a one pump, damn loud too :) Looking at getting a scope lock(??)

alldodge

Staff member
Went into walmart today looking for htdraulic oil (didn't get any), but looked at their air rifles. They had 4 models besides the red rider, 2 .177 and 2 .22 cals, Gamo and Ruger. Not bad on price but who knows maybe. The Ruger Impact was their high end model