Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Lost my mentor....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my mentor....

sorry, haven't been around the last two weeks. Lost dad suddenly

November 30th, dad calls, says he is in the hospital, should be out in a few days. not unusual the past few years he has been in and out for vascular related issues.

December 1st, dad calls, says he doesn't feel right - says something to do with the kidneys, should be out in a week or so, i talk to the nurse, ask to talk to the doc. Nurse says he has CRS, his kidneys are shutting down due to the congestive heart failure.

December 2nd, I call dad, he sounds stressed, Nurse recommends getting up there ASAP. No word from the doc yet.

December 3rd, dad says he loves me....Tammy and I immediately search for flights, unable to find any that we can afford or that would get there prior to Tuesday evening, we throw some luggage and two of the dogs into the truck and drive up to WI from FL. hit some traffic in Nashville and Rockford, so the trip took about 24 hours vs the normal 21.

December 4th, feedback from family is grim. see dad late afternoon, he doesn't look good, however seems to recognize that Tammy and I are there. after a few hours and some talk with the doc/nursing staff, we retire for the evening to come back in the morning.

December 5th, Dad passed prior to us making it to the hospital that morning. His baby sister and older brother show up a bit later.

December 6-11 were a blur of arrangements, probate attorneys, family, and visits to his place in the north woods looking for information

Dad's memorial was 12/11/18. http://www.harriganparksidefuneralho...james-danforth

December 12th, one last trip to dad's place to clean up some stuff and secure it. Then we headed back to FL

Dad was my fishing/hunting mentor. He started me boating when i was a new born and started my wrench-turning hobby when I was 3. My first BB gun was when i was 4. went hunting with him from the age of 5 on. almost every picture we had was on a fishing or hunting trip. there were also a few from Christmas

We found out that dad waited to go to the hospital because he wanted to get some bills paid. That is who dad was. independent, stubborn and more focused on everything except his health.

Now the hard part of selling his place on the Menominee River, selling his vehicles, liquidating the estate and following dads will. His request was a fitting inscription on the grave marker....

so we found one with a Northern on the line.... simply has beloved father and grand father, James L Danforth, 1944-2018, and the final line of GONE FISHING.

RIP dad, hope your fishing with Grandpa.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

It's hard, Scott. Thanks for sharing what is a difficult time.

Rest in peace, Mr. Danforth and enjoy the fishing where the big one never gets away after a good fight.
    BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

It's is a tough one Scott. We lost Mom this past August. Your Dad was only 10 years older than I. But it sounds like he had a full life and a wonderful Son. Dealing with the estate is a daunting task. My brothers and I have hired a professional to deal with Mom's estate.

Our sincerest condolences to your family and yourself Scott.
      Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Thoughts are with you, let me know if there is anything I can do
        94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
        95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
        07 Seadoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
        G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

My condolences on the loss of your father.

I’m very lucky to still have both parents alive and in good health

Comment

I'm so sorry Scott. Unfortunately, there just aren't words. Will be praying for peace and comfort for you and your family as you grieve.

Comment

My condolences, Scott. It is a sad time of life to lose a parent.
              Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
              Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
              Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

Sorry for your loss, Scott. Praying for you, Tammy, the family ... May the peace and love of God envelop you during this time of sorrow.

Comment

Scott, I'm so sorry for your loss. Tough time for sure. Praying for comfort for you and your family.
                  2016 Crownline 21SS, 350 MAG MPI
                  Central Indiana with jaunts to Lake Cumberland.
                  1991 Rinker 206 Captiva - 4.3L Merc, 1988 Supra Mariah 21 - 351 Clevland, 1985 Ebbtide 19ft - 305 Merc, 1982 Rinker 17ft - 90 Evinrude,1963 Skiff Craft16 ft - 85 hp Merc

Comment

Went through it 26 & and 28 yrs ago. That's enough of me. Mr. Danforth, you and your siblings have my deepest sympathies. Your pop will enjoy Valhalla, Heaven, Happy hunting grounds, or whatever was his flavor.
                    '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Sorry about your father Scott .. Prayers to you and your family ..
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                      '64 MFG Rebuild
                      MFG forum thread https://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
                      https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ve-the-manatee
                      https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...at-restoration

Comment

Thanks everyone
                        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you and he had a lot of great times together. He will live on always in your fond memories of your times together.
                          Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                          West River Yacht & Cruising Club
                          www.wrycc.com

Comment

So sorry to read of your loss Scott as this is just such heartbreaking news for sure.
                            I wish you and all of yours within best wishes.
                            OEM Quality Gear Lubes And Greases Available @ iboats.com 'By Bel-Ray Marine Lubricants -- BOAT SPECS -- FORUM GUIDELINES -- Volvo, OMC & Merc Stern Drive Technical Information For DIYers. -- OEM VOLVO PARTS POWERED BY iBOATS.COM -- All OEM Parts / Parts Lookup Now Available Through iboats.com --

Comment

Oh Scott,

I am so sorry to hear this, I lost my Dad a little over 3 years ago and it is tough, I am just now going through all of his tool boxes and other stuff he accumulated over the years and I still have to sit down and take a couple of deep breaths every once in a while.

Hunting and fishing were a passion of Dad's and mine, so I fully understand the loss of your mentor.

God's speed and prayers for you and your family.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X