Goodby until March 2019

harringtondav

Commander
Shut down our Miss. river place for the winter today. Winterizing a house is similar to a stern drive. Purge water 100%, RV antifreeze in the drains and toilets. -20 deg winters. I'm not which would hurt the mo$t, cracked block or frozen pipes.

The river is currently 4'+ over the safe level for my rail boat lift. If it ices over before it drops I could have an unplanned spring repair project. Also expen$ive. Boating: Not for the meek of wallet.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

aspeck

Staff member
Drove over the Mississippi yesterday ... Mississippi seemed high.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It freezes in Mississippi? -20F??? I seriously am surprised. I am well versed in frozen plumbing. I'll take that before a frozen outdrive any day. If you have a cottage/cabin/camp (all the same place) here in Canada you had better have soldering tools and know how to use them. It's not uncommon to have frozen lines in the city as well. Most winter house fires are because of citiots thawing frozen pipes.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think he’s on the upper Miss. river, in Iowa or Illinois or Missouri, where it can get that cold.

Lots of folks not far from us couldn’t even get to their river properties due to recent flooding. Now the Army Corps is taking feedback on a plan to raise the levee on the Iowa side of the river near us to protect a big fertilizer plant built in the flood plain. Lots of folks on the other side of the river plan to raise holy heck about that.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
WOW .............yes the minus weather is a PITA but that is a point many of us have already passed...... went deer hinting yesterday in knee deep snow and COLD.

When you said goodbye until March 2019 my first thought was that was a scheduled release date !!! Happens when you work within law enforcement ;)

This winter will pass quickly - I hope

harringtondav

Commander
I think he’s on the upper Miss. river, in Iowa .

Yes, five channel miles South of Dubuque. And yes, high water. Four of the seven yrs. we've owned the place I couldn't put in the rest of that rail lift until July due to high water. Late July this year. Hardly worth the trouble because it comes out in mid September.

But watching the action from that deck 30' above the water is entertaining enough. Soft country music and no wake boats going out at 9-10 am. Hard rock, 50' violations and girls gone wild coming back at 5 pm.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Yes, five channel miles South of Dubuque. And yes, high water. Four of the seven yrs. we've owned the place I couldn't put in the rest of that rail lift until July due to high water. Late July this year. Hardly worth the trouble because it comes out in mid September.

But watching the action from that deck 30' above the water is entertaining enough. Soft country music and no wake boats going out at 9-10 am. Hard rock, 50' violations and girls gone wild coming back at 5 pm.

Other than the hassles associated with high water, that sounds pretty nice!

We trailer to the Mississppi, boating mostly on pools 18 and 19.

harringtondav

Commander
We trailer to the Mississppi, boating mostly on pools 18 and 19.

Same for us for 15 yrs to pools 11 & 12. We settled on pool 12. The ramp is 1/4 mi S of our place. With our rail lift we now only use the ramp twice/yr. No more dealing with inconsiderate boaters plugging a slot for 15 minutes pulling off the cover, loading the gear, and seeing if the boat will even start.

We did all that in the adjacent campground so our off-trailer, on water time was < 5 minutes. Dealing with the slobs who wouldn't take their turn at the 5:30 pm take-out rush nearly made my head explode. Not exactly the perfect end to an otherwise perfect day.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
You know, I think we've been pretty lucky with avoiding those kinds of folks. Most of the ramps we use either aren't all that busy or else the other boaters are fairly considerate. The biggest issue we have is people ruining the ramps by powerloading.

Still, I would love to be able to leave the boat in the water or on a lift; I'm sure we'd use it more. When we're up at our lake cabin a few weeks a year, we can just go hop in the boat and leave on a moment's notice. That sure is nice!