VRBO or other setup

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Agree, just looked at my sent folder and it didn't go
Just tried again, and it didn't go either and was using the "contact me"

Tried again typing in your name and it did something different but still not showing up. May happen in a short

I will try

EDIT: Doesn't show up in my sent messages either.

alldodge

Staff member
Must have just been hung up, we have exchanged Thanks for the assist

southkogs

Staff member
Okay Cool. Bruce, if things are still funky for you please let me know.

alldodge

Staff member
Anyone have any go places to look for 5 rooms of furniture, not cheap but not high end either?
Living room and 4 BR
I like leather but don't think we want to spend that much so probably go with cloth

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can go on Facebook Marketplace for starters. Not only do people put used up there but there are also stores that put new on there. Same thing with Craigslist.

The last set of bedroom furniture we bought was from Ashley but the only time their prices are at all decent is during a major sale. We bought a bedroom set in July and just brought it up to the vacation home this last weekend. Might check out what stores are doing for black Friday coming up.

alldodge

Staff member
One of the things I do have to deal with now, is I'm told not to lift more then 10 pounds due to back surgery. Did so looking and there are some deals, I really want folks when they walk in and spend some time to not leave thinking this is cheap. Keep saying money spent now can pay off in the future

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Of course remember that all this furniture that you are buying can be depreciated, and usually over a fairly short term although since these are startup costs, it may be 15 years. When I just buy furniture for one room in a year, I just deduct it as an expense. The IRS rules say if it's $2500 or less to just expense it.

alldodge

Staff member
Still need to make a call to my accountant about what I'm planning. Bought a Kubota F series mower this year (many K$) and now this. Was renting it out to a friend for $400 so received 4K. Now if I spend another 15 to 20K to get it ready I'm over the top (I think)

Still looking into a tractor, fencing and farm exemptions for raising some cows

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yep...you will have to see if it's a schedule C or E that you put it under. Mine is under a Schedule E since I run it as a partnership between my mom and I so I also file a 1065 and create K1s.

Another thing you will have to look at is the home insurance. I typically have USAA for my home and another full time rental house that I own but they won't cover short term rentals. They act as a agent for another company that writes short term rental insurance. Of course you do get the added benefit of insurance against rental income loss in case of fire or other peril. Also, I had to have my umbrella policy also moved form USAA. Again USAA acts as the agent to another company.

In my opinion, everyone should have an umbrella policy anyway if they have many assets but even more important with rental property.

alldodge

Staff member
My guy has been great for many years started about 1980 seeing him right out of the service and only charged me 25. Figured with that little there is no need for me to even start to do it my self. Then thought the years with 3 LLC's, stocks and other stuff it got up to 175 (wow still cheap). He is a great guy and I thing its more like family now

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My guy has been great for many years started about 1980 seeing him right out of the service and only charged me 25. Figured with that little there is no need for me to even start to do it my self. Then thought the years with 3 LLC's, stocks and other stuff it got up to 175 (wow still cheap). He is a great guy and I thing its more like family now
That's very cheap.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Anyone have any go places to look for 5 rooms of furniture, not cheap but not high end either?
Living room and 4 BR
I like leather but don't think we want to spend that much so probably go with cloth

We have seen some very good stuff at Habitats for Humanity at great prices here. Buddy just picked up a very nice queen size bedroom set for 700 bucks CDN. People will never buy a used mattress but will spend $500.00 or even more to sleep in one at a 5 star hotel??? That includes us too.

I wouldn't buy brand new for a rental unless a very good price. It isn't new once someone sleeps or sits in it anyway. Gently used for me.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Habitats for Humanity

That's a good idea, have been to one but it wasn't very big. so not a lot. Maybe find one close to a rich neighborhood may turn up more. I still have some weeks before I can start picking things up, so getting ideas.

Agree, so far as mattresses, think I'll go with memory foam. A bit leery on some couches and such due to possibilities of bed bugs or other.