Any military veterans here on iBoats?

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
First, have a nice Veteran's Day. Perhaps you could share your experiences here in this topic. I'll start if that's ok. I enlisted in the Coast Guard in 1969 and served 4 years of active duty and 2 years of inactive reserve. Worked mostly on Loran C and A transmitting stations with a little small boat service after hours. It was invaluable experience far beyond what I had learned in college.

alldodge

Staff member
There are a bunch of us here, just not so sure (at least for me) want more of my info on the web
Will say I also Semper Paratus and have been to the North and South Pole

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
1989-2012, US Navy Submarines (retired)
Cant really say too much about my experiences, port calls, etc...
It was fun and would do it all over again!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
1979-2006 US Army, took my last post at the Pentagon on Sept 13th 2001. Lost a lot of friends on 9/11 and really don't talk about things much.

There is a lot of us that served on here.

MRS

Commander
I did not serve but want you all to know you are the Best of the Best. I have worked in the field of protecting all war fighters for almost 42 years and still work in the same job. Mainly because I love what I do and love all you do for our Country Big Thank you all!

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the replies. Most of the guys I know who served can't stop talking about it, so I though that might be the case here, even if it's just a funny anecdotal story. Sorry, if it wasn't.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Out of High school; beat the mandatory draft by going into the USAF. Got stationed in Bermuda. Got wrapped up with the Cuban Crises; Operation Big Lift; and some more. '61='66.

staydry

Seaman
US Army '75-82...started in armor switched to geodetic surveying
Germany, Georgia & Hawaii......several side trips to Japan, Korea & Philippines

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
think this one gets done every year here

US Army '86-90
recalled 1991

Field Artillery

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Out of High school; beat the mandatory draft by going into the USAF. Got stationed in Bermuda. Got wrapped up with the Cuban Crises; Operation Big Lift; and some more. '61='66.

I did pretty much the same in '69. But the guard sent me to Johnston Island, a "rock" in the pacific with a zillion barrels of nerve gas in storage and some bit of radiation from an aerial nuke just a few years earlier. Good thing I liked to fish then ;-)
We did get evacuated to Honolulu for two weeks, with no duty, because of a hurricane, so that was great.

I wasn't in this forum last year so I didn't know this was an annual event.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
73-93 Army Active Duty.............. long time ago :(

treedancer

Commander
I am still kicking around 1966-1970 Proud member of United States Marine Corps. Sold my boat though.