I will never change my own oil again.

briangcc

Commander
I think you meant the 10k oil change interval is a scam and I agree - mine are on a 5-7k interval including filter. I do them myself as the cost of the parts is dramatically less than what the dealer wants. Both are 2017's - one Honda one Toyota w/Toyota Care.

I got in a heated debate with the Toyota Service manager once about how the oil might hold up but the filter collapses after 5k miles. He told me they could run 10k with heavy towing. Had him pull my truck out of his bay as he wasn't touching it. They also seem to run better when I use Mobil Synthetic as compared to whatever they use so for me, I'll keep doing the work myself.

But I certainly understand letting someone else do the work as my dad has the knowledge to do them himself but he's unable to physically do the work now. He has enough health issues due to Vietnam - US Army.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I caught a Pennzoil quick change place using oil that had been drained from other cars. To be fair, they didn't realize that their bulk vendor was bringing them used oil - they were even using it in their own vehicles. But an analysis of the 10W-40 they put in my old New Yorker indicated a viscosity of 4W and lots crap and copper (from bearings). They were out of business soon after. I guess others caught on too.

aspeck

Staff member
I have the knowledge and ability, it is the time I lack. I have a handful of “Joe’s” that I use. Being in the car business for years, you make a lot of friends. So I spread it around to whoever has the time. Usually take them my own oil and filter ... and most other fluids they might need and give them a $10 to lift it on the hoist (they always say no charge) and do the 15 minutes of work. Anything else shows up, they know what to do ... drop it off in the morning and they can fit it in whenever ... pick it up at the end of the day ... he gets lunch and I get a good oil change without losing any time!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I learned a long time ago it may be more economical to "pay the guy." When I was in my 20's I decided to change my engine coolant. I drain the rad and am pouring in the expensive coolant in. This is during the oil crisis of the mid 70's. Oil products nearly tripled here in Ontario if I can remember 40 plus years ago. My kid brother pulls up on his bike and asks what I am doing. I tell him "what do you think stupid?" that's how big brothers talked to pimply faced little brothers then. The snarky long hair hippy loving teen says, "I think you forgot to put the plug back in and are pouring money down the sewer, you must be rich big bro." Then not to be dissuaded by failure I am going to change the thermostat in my Ford Capri. I snap off both bolts. I push the car up the hill to the corner garage and show him. He tells me that I not only broke the bolts off it isn't the thermostat its the PVC valve. I quit, pay the guy or get buddy to do it. I do some minor stuff like plugs and wires and winterizing on the boat now because of You Tube. No you Tube in the 70's.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I once took my 5 year old 1983' 560 SEC Benz to one of those quick lubes and in 2 blocks the low oil light went on and lost every drop of oil. They forgot the plug. They denied it. I was charged with assault but beat it (acquitted), no witnesses (that's how I acted and talked then. 2 months latter the timing chain snapped to the tune of 4 grand. You get what you pay for.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Old Ironmaker ,I lived in winterpeg in the early seventies and until I saw it on tv didn't even know there was an oil crisis.Neither gas nor oil went up atall,and no gas stations were ever out.Worked on bikes and cars/trucks all my life doing everything but injuries catch up so now I will try but if its too big of a job forget it off it goes to the shop.With the new edge theres barley anything I could do .Sensors and computers galore.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I drive a company truck . I’m not changing it . Lol! We use a fleet service lube place . Pull in they ask if I want a bottle water that I usually take . I watch them do everything while sitting in the truck from start to finish . The guy up top is always comuticating with the guy underneath. Pretty professional really . They take air filter out and show it to me .Replace if needed . Have a record in the system that shows what’s been serviced and what’s needed per manufacture .
5 - 10 minutes and I’m out of there .
‘The Admiral has a Goodyear service station just across the parking lot where she works . They have been doing all the matenence on her vehicle for around 15 years . No problems so far and they give a discount to the employees where she works .
I couldn’t tell you the last time I changed my own oil ...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ford will be doing my oil changes for awhile as I got a few freebees when I bought it.Now heres a tale of 2 walmarts.Sault ste marie Ontario,s Walmart has a long term mech and no gofers.He,s very good and reliable.Soo Michigan's wally world has young uns.So both me and my friend had our trucks oiled (rustproofing) done at the same time.I took mine to the Canadian Walmart and oil change done no problem.M friend was over in Michigan and went shopping at Walmart and left the truck to get an oil change and shopped inside while he was waiting.So he,s called over the p.a system to go to auto service dept.The clowns refused to do the oil and lube job because his truck was dirty underneath!!! Even the manager backed them up .I told him personally I would of asked for head offices number and asked them if it was policy to hire people that were afraid to maybe get a little dirty when changing oil.Now this was several months since the rustproofing.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I did all my own maintenance and work on my cars up to about 25 years ago. Oil changes, tuneups, brake jobs , all of it. I found that I was working long hours and didn’t really have the time for all that. Besides I didn’t really enjoy doing it, it was a pita. Now the most I do is check fluid levels periodically, replace windshield wipers and maybe a burned out bulb , that’s it. I don’t miss doing oil changes etc one little bit. I’d rather watch paint dry than go back to doing car maintenance.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I did all my own maintenance and work on my cars up to about 25 years ago. Oil changes, tuneups, brake jobs , all of it. I found that I was working long hours and didn’t really have the time for all that. Besides I didn’t really enjoy doing it, it was a pita. Now the most I do is check fluid levels periodically, replace windshield wipers and maybe a burned out bulb , that’s it. I don’t miss doing oil changes etc one little bit. I’d rather watch paint dry than go back to doing car maintenance.

Same here. :nod:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have a Silverado bought new in 11'. As far as I understand any oil service on any new cars under factory warranty or extended warranty must be done by a shop certified by the manufacturer or the warranty is void. Not necessarily a dealer but a shop certified in my case by GM. These new "computerized" vehicle have put many a backyard mechanic out of business. My wife put 300,000 KMS on a Nissan Altima, I couldn't tell you how to get to the motor under all that plastic. I had a Chrysler Intrepid and to change the battery one had to take a crossmember, the air filter and remove the inner fender shroud off to change a freeking battery.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i went local about 12 years ago when I moved to TN. Wile we were dating I lived in another state and travelled all the time. She told me about a problem of hesitation upon acceleration; bad news when cutting into a 60 mph hwy she has to do at work. I asked her if she had a guy for her regular maint, yep Skip and his place in town. Told her to take it there, she did, they admitted after an hour or so that they just weren't sure - it could be x or y or z but that she should take it elsewhere. Didn't charge her a dime for that hour of work.

I've given them 99% of the work they can perform which is oil, brakes and boat trailer bearings since then. Plus towing and some small misc stuff

Skip is mostly retired his son Stoney runs the joint, they've been in business since the early 70's. Two bay shop with a pull thru for the oil changes. They are doing well enough in that same, old building that Stoney was just able to buy a brand new roll-off that can (finally) handle my dually and boat if needed.

The one employee that they have is the same guy since I've been going there. That tells me a lot too.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will always pay to have someone else do it. I take it to the same place every time and they have a good reputation. Its worth it for me to not have to get on the ground.

As for frequency - I've never done the 5000 mile crap. I'm usually up around 10k when I get it done. I have a patrol car that gets driven pretty hard, those things take a beating. They are running for 8, 10,12 hours at a time with constant stop, go fast, stop, go fast. Fleet Management has our PM's at 7500 miles. If they can take it, I am sure my personal vehicle that never goes that fast and really doesn't get driven a lot can handle at least that if not more.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Old Ironmaker heres info on that .Its illegal for mfg to force you to do service by them or any agents.https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

What about here in Ontario Canada? What stops me from saying I changed the oil as recommended myself or some shade tree mechanic uses an old filter and the wrong oil. As the one holding the warranty I wouldn't be too pleased. There is a thread on a Ontario fishing forum where a newer Ram truck owner is being denied an extended warranty claim because he can't provide documentation from a authorized Class A mechanic showing service was done on time with the proper oil, filters etc. since he's had it. I have a stack of work orders going back to 2011 when I bought the Chevy new. They do make it tough to make a claim for sure.

82rude

Rear Admiral
He might be denied because he cant prove that he bought the oil etc.Keep all receipts and you can do oil changes by yourself.They can try to make it tuff but get a lawyer if necessary .The actual act was brought into effect in the states many years ago because dealers were doing exactly like you described.For certain used and new fords at my dealer they are giving away free oil changes for life.Some extended warranty companies are, well to be charitable. crooks of the highest order.I never would of got one except mine is ford backed and my friend used his with zero issues.

Last edited:

angus63

Captain
Oil Change instructions for Women:
1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last
oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee.
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained
vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change $20.00
Coffee $1.00
Total $21.00

Oil Change instructions for Men:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil,
filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for
$50.00..
2) Stop by 7 - 11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20....00, drive
home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process.
Cuss.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms.
Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and
twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filtersplashing oil
everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filteramong trash in trash can
to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil
change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener.
18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan
full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back
yard instead of taking it back to Kragen to recycle.
19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
20) Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.
21) Walk to 7-11; buy beer.
22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket
surface.
23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24) Remember drain plug from step 11.
25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard, along
with drain plug.
27) Drink beer.
28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily dirt
into hole. Steal sand from kids sandbox to cleverly cover oily patch of
ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas.
29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty
litter on oil spill.
30) Drink beer.
31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag
used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain
plug and bang knuckles on frame.
32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.
33) Begin cussing fit.
34) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December (1992)
in the left boob.
36) Beer.
37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
38) Beer.
39) Beer.
40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
41) Beer.
42) Lower car from jack stands.
43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.
44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during
steps 23 - 43.
45) Beer.
46) Test drive car.
47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
48) Car gets impounded.
49) Call loving wife, make bail.
50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00
Total-- $4165.00

-- But you know the job was done right

dwco5051

Commander
I recycle the oil right in my shop and my neighbors even bring me their used oil! I burn it in my Lanair Waste Oil furnace! :thumb:

One of my tractors is my waste oil burner. I keep telling myself that I will overhaul the motor this Winter since 1994 but haven't got around to it yet. The rest goes to a mechanic a couple of miles up the road from me if I happen to get more than two 10 quart jugs laying around. He heats with a waste oil burner.