Laid up next few months, bored silly!!!!

ezbtr

Commander
Busted right elbow and thigh up 6 weeks ago, glad to be out of hospital/rapid recovery center (5 weeks!!), getting PT etc at home, using walker, good Lord is this boring!!! Thinking of getting RC car for back yard, can't get it if it gets stuck - RC drone? Make models planes again??? No full weight bearing for at least 3-4 more weeks, no going outside, driving.
Thx guys ;)

alldodge

Staff member
Bummer

Figure out something you want to build and post. Make sure its something everyone has done and there will be all kinds of comments

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
start tying fishing flys

I wouldn't suggest this. Its probably the most addictive hobby out there. I fell in to this trap. I have more money tied up in this than I care to admit (pun intended).

On an unrelated topic - anyone have a source for pristine quality bleached elk or badger hair? Asking for a friend....

HinesVernon

Cadet
I wouldn't suggest this. Its probably the most addictive hobby out there. I fell in to this trap. I have more money tied up in this than I care to admit (pun intended).

On an unrelated topic - anyone have a source for pristine quality bleached elk or badger hair? Asking for a friend....

Now I am very interested in hearing the story behind your tying fishing flys addiction. Might take it up as a hobby if its rewarding enough :D

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now I am very interested in hearing the story behind your tying fishing flys addiction. Might take it up as a hobby if its rewarding enough :D

Oh it started simple enough. I decided I wanted to learn to fly fish. I went and bought the beginner setup for everything, and decided it was fun. Then I went and got the good waders, and net, and creel, and I still had the beginner set of flies. I went to buy the flies for more serious fishing and realized you bought them by the fly. And they were like $2 for the simple ones. And I said "pssshhhh, I can make those cheaper than that!"

Isn't that how all expensive hobbies start?? After getting the better fly tying vise, and a work station set up, and the perfect magnifying glasses, and books with "recipes", I was ready to go - and had maybe $500 or so invested. Then I realized I still had to buy supplies. So I got a bunch of supplies - about $200 worth. Most of the hair patches and feathers were synthetic. Then I had to buy every flipping color thread you could imagine - probably another $100 or so. Then I started learning to tie them, and the first 1,000 or so were complete garbage. They were so bad, I bet an oscar wouldn't even hit them and they eat everything!

Finally, after about 3 months of every spare minute spent hunched over a fly tying station, I started making decent flies. And then I went fishing. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Alabama has some of the snobbiest fish in the whole world. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. These were some sexy flies! So I read more, and researched, and asked. The only suggestion I had was "have you tried natural hair and feathers?" So, here goes more money chasing after natural hairs and feathers. There are a LOT of animals out there with hair and feathers. LOL. After another 6-8 months of tying flies, trying them, tying them with other hair, trying them, I finally found that these snobby stocked trout at Sipsey Fork like a Caddis Fly tied with bleached elk hair. Not the regular elk hair. Not badger hair. Bleached Elk only. But the bass.... ohhh the snobby little bass - - they like a woolly booger tied with badger hair, fluorescent green thread (they turn their noses at brass or silver thread), with a little white tip of foam just to keep it off the bottom. Or - a dragonfly with pheasant feather and black dubbing. Really they like it with a hawk feather the best - but those are hard to come buy. We have a bunch in our area so I just watch in the spring for them to molt and hope some falls into my yard.

So fast forward 10 years down the road, I have probably spent enough in fly tying equipment, recipe books, and supplies that if I had it back, I wouldn't have to be restoring a 30 year old boat on the cheap.

aspeck

Staff member
Laughing WITH Newbie (because I would never laugh AT you)! Yep, that does seem to be the way EVERY hobby I attempt goes ... My wife wants me to give up hobbies and just lay on the couch and watch TV ... but then I would need a newer, bigger TV, a different couch, and then another couch, and a couple more TV's so I could watch more than one show at a time, and ...

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Ouch, how did that happen. I have been laid up for 12 weeks at a time but nothing like what you are going through. My kid brother set my Vette up with hand controls. I didn't even own a TV back then, I was 23. I had plenty of Nurses visit me to pass the time, hey I was 23.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Was in the same boat last year. My advice is to listen to your PT. Do what he says even through the pain. Also when possible Walk as much as possible. Our mailbox is 250' from the front door. I pushed a walker (with seat) down and back everyday. Still have problems with balance. Stand on 8" rubber foam in the doorway.
Good luck finding a hobby. Lucky I had a pond to fish in; the pain came from casting.
What a bummer!!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yes listen to your physio person. I call it homework. I cheated once and had to go under the knife again. Never cheated again. Take up acrylic painting. Costs a lot less than many hobbies. Paint isn't cheap, I use leftover house paint, acrylic latex and ask everyone for their leftover paint, it's basically the same paint they sell you by the tube for ridiculous bucks. You can paint on pieces of scrap plywood or canvas. I can get many paintings from a 4X8 sheet of 1/4" OSB that costs 25 bucks. If you don't like it just roll it over with white paint and start over. They are finding several originals by the Masters under the canvas' of final pieces. Canvas was expensive for starving artists then and now. It doesn't mater if you aren't good at it, you may enjoy it. Watch some Don Ross (RIP) videos on You Tube, it doesn't have to be difficult. Art must evoke an emotion I say. Disgust is an emotion, so now it's Art. I get my pre stretched on wood frame canvas at Michaels Craft stores here on sale. Not sure if Michaels are in the USA. I bet they are a US company, everything here is American pretty well. You never know you may even be good enough to sell a few for a couple million Samolians.

Get well soon.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Yeah ... hours of Bob Ross available online! You can paint with acrylic on nearly anything. OR - if you don't wanna' clean anything up, there are a few fun apps you can paint with on the iPad. ProCreate is a great one.

You mentioned model building: I used to build lots of model airplanes. My grandfather was laid up for a couple of weeks one time, and he spent the time making some buildings from illustration board and cellophane for his model railroad. I drew the details on the buildings for fun, and then used 'em with his trains. The whole thing wound up getting me to play with model railroads for a little while. Lots of fun.

Hope you have a fast recovery. It's not fun being down.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Mr ez; don't! It so surprising how fast you can screw up. I got my foot caught in an extension cord; still paying for it.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Laughing WITH Newbie (because I would never laugh AT you)! Yep, that does seem to be the way EVERY hobby I attempt goes ... My wife wants me to give up hobbies and just lay on the couch and watch TV ... but then I would need a newer, bigger TV, a different couch, and then another couch, and a couple more TV's so I could watch more than one show at a time, and ...

..and then you have to remodel the living room to provide the best ergonomic/aesthetic/acoustic arrangement, rewire the entire house for full house for Dolby 7.1, add on a dedicated room to house the audio equipment, then add a hot tub and a jacuzzi because it would be silly to have a dedicated sound room and whole house surround sound without a hot tub and jacuzzi....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Making models helped me quit smoking, for a while. The problem was I wouldn't stop until they were finished. Some nights birds were chirping and I'm still gluing parts together. I bought all the models I couldn't afford as a kid. It will sure help you pass time. Be careful mixing glue and pain meds.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Here's a single model that might take a few months to build. Not me, but definitely a time consumer. :p

valkyrie.png

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
The manager of an apartment bldg. I lived in at one time built a B17 with 10' wingspan four engines, retractable gear and operating flaps. Probably why he never got much managing done.

Glenn