First Vehicle for Daughter

lncoop

Vice Admiral
My GF's aunt works for an area dealer and always finds her cars for her. Tempted to tell her what I need and see what happens. They go to DFW regularly where there's a crap ton of rigs. Large supply means better prices. Art, I think I could score a weapons carrier down there!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I bought my middle daughter a loaded 1999 Camry for $4,500 when she got here license at 16.

Can't do better than that for a new driver. Bread and butter sedans generally haven't been beat to crap, and you won't care so much when it gets dinged (and it will). My kids' first cars were both off-lease, Chevy Malibus (a 98 and a 2000), and they were perfect for the task. Cheap to buy, insure and operate. You pay a big unnecessary premium for SUV's, and they don't handle as well in an emergency situation.

My .02

angus63

Captain
I planned on 5 yr vehicles for my kids. 10-12 yr old large underpowered vehicles that are slightly imperfect, therefore inexpensive, that will get them through college and a start in the real world. Daughter has 2004 Mazda 6 four cyl and Son has 2003 Monte Carlo LS six cyl. They are happy and I spent less than $4k combined. She wanted a Wrangler and he wanted a Ram, but they were not signing the checks.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Ha. Nope. My nickname is Deuce as in Little Deuce Coop, so all my buddies call her Little Deuce.

LOL ah, I figured there would be a good explanation. it has to be a good inside joke though.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Around these parts you won't get anything but someone else's problems as is for 4 grand USD. If I had a daughter looking for a vehicle I would be looking at Honda's, Nissan Altima (maybe not the 3.5 lt. 280 HP), or anything Toyota depending on what driving conditions such as snow and freezing temps. Not the micro cars they sell, family sedans only. Also look at Hyundai Sportage or the Kia, all wheel drive. Nothing Jeep for many reasons like poor fuel economy and reliability. We shopped for a few months for my wifes replacement of her Altima, Kia Optima (Hyundai engine). The best car I have ever owned was the Nissan for reliability and I have had over 45 of them.

64osby

Admiral
In the last year we picked up a 2008 Ford Fusion with 64K for $4,000. Bought it on ebay and had to drive 5 hours to get it. New tires and replace a transmission line and it is nice. That one was for my daughter.

Picked up a Mercury Montego 2006 FWD with 84k for $3,200 for my son. A local car owned by a guy that was 80 something. Just had to put a coil and a rear wheel bearing in it.

I search craigslist hard, all the sub $4k toyota's, honda's and similar usually have 150k to 200+ miles or are really trashed.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yes unfortunately you won't get a good reliable car for 4 grand. You may have to add at least 5K to the 4K. I know I have been shopping.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I search craigslist hard, all the sub $4k toyota's, honda's and similar usually have 150k to 200+ miles or are really trashed.
Craig’s list is the absolute worst place to find a vehicle.....Junk peddlers.

Better off searching high volume, new car dealers or hitting the auction houses.

Bought both kids cars (Toyota and Honda) with under 80k on them.

sam60

Captain
I'm doing the same vehicle mining for our 16 YO Grandson. No fun at all. I'm looking for an S10 or Ranger for him.

sam60

Captain
Time to get Little Deuce her own ride! :eek: Needs to be under $4k and would prefer a small SUV. I've been looking at CR-Vs, RAV4s and Hyundai Tucsons. Was considering the Jeep Liberty but it appears to have a bit of an increased rollover risk compared to the rest of the class so that's off the table. She's a really good driver so I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but her mom would be and I prefer to keep the peace. Was also considering the Forester but the endemic head gasket issue scares me.

So, thoughts on the aforementioned? Any others I should consider? Anything I should know? Etc. etc. etc.

Incoop, Many years ago I bought my Daughter a '79 Cutlass Supreme that someone put a 403 in it. She cruised it safely to school every day and then gave it back to me when she graduated, She no longer wanted to be seen in that OLD car. It was in great condition and rust free, I was glad to get it back.

sam60

Captain
And tonight I failed to have a decent conversation with the Grandson that has lived with us for 3 or 4 years. No good deed goes unpunished . My next task is to bring him back under my wing and attempt to provide him with some positives for his future. He'll be a HS senior next Year. His ACT scores were great this year. He'll appreciate it someday.