2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang, South Korea.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The once every 4 year Winter Olympics has begun and the Open Ceremonies isn't until Friday morning at 6AM EST.

Last night the US Mixed Doubles Curling team beat the Russian team and then the Canadian team beat the USA team. So far through two sessions,only the Swiss team is unbeaten. Curling is such a vicious sport!

Biathalon, Luge and Ski Jumping have been doing training runs. Later today Men's Ski Jumping start Normal Hill qualification jumps. Wonder if they have laser inspections like Nascar? :rolleyes:

Norway had a slight supply problem. Were they egged on by Google Translate? https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/08/sport/norwegian-olympic-team-eggs-order-trnd/index.html

82rude

Rear Admiral
Most exciting thing that happened so far was the argument in the canteen between the reds and us canucks,lol.

GA_Boater

Skating (ugh) and Free Style skiing (moguls) on NBC now. Mainly skating (ugh).

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I don't mind watching skating but would be nice if the skaters had practiced a little. of course I guess it did add a little entertainment watching them crash constantly

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I don't mind watching skating but would be nice if the skaters had practiced a little. of course I guess it did add a little entertainment watching them crash constantly

Up late last night after hockey, I watched a thing on the figure skating in the Calgary '88 Olympics - interesting. I'm not a figure skating fan, but those kids sure could skate, and looked very practiced. Were they better then, or was it just a hyped-up program about '88?

GA_Boater

Kinda like Nascar, eh?

Having coverage from tomorrow being shown today is hard to get used to.

Our Mixed Doubles Curling pair lost to Korea and are in danger of not medaling. Through 4 sessions we are 1-3. The Mixed Doubles standings with Canada doing well;

curling.PNG

Our top Men's skater, Chen, didn't have a good opening skate for the Team skating competition. US Team is in 2nd place after the short program. The qualification results and Canada is on the pole :smile: ;

teamskating.PNG

aspeck

Staff member
I think what happened with the skaters in in '88 they were doing double and occasionally triple axles, etc. Now they are doing quadruple ... and did you see the shape of the ice? It really needed the Zamboni run on it!

GA_Boater

Saw that the ice was Zambonied between skaters. Seems like the Ice Guru is off his game. LOL

First medal went to Sweden for Charlotte Kalla's gold medal in the 15KM Women's Biathalon.

Medal totals so far;

medalcount.PNG

No US or Canadian medals so far.

The leading German medals were for Men and Women's Biathalon events and Korea won gold for Men's Short Track Speedskating. The Netherlands swept Women's 3,000 KM Speedskating.

GA_Boater

USA CANADA USA CANADA USA CANADA

Canada and US team finally began to collect some hardware.

medalsat.PNG

Go Canada and Go USA!

Attachments

• slopemed.PNG
    slopemed.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 0
  • lugemed.PNG
    lugemed.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ladiesmoguls.PNG
    ladiesmoguls.PNG
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
  • speedskatemen.PNG
    speedskatemen.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 0

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Watching a bit of Ice Skating. In my former life my ex's family was into Figure Skating big time. She at the time had a 1st cousin that was a nationally ranked skater and my brothers wife was once nationally ranked and taught, she also taught a few NHL'ers power skating. I had to endure many hours in rinks watching our nieces on both sides of the family and hours of television. Those skaters have amazing athletic skills but to call it a sport is a misnomer. Winners are based on their outfits and music! Say what? If there was a choice to advance a skater to a national or regional level politics trumped skill. If you went down the list of Nationally ranked skaters then you would see that their families donated large amounts of money to Skate Canada. That was the 80's, I don't think much has changed. I believe it is the same in the USA.

PyeongChang is the sound my Loonies and Toonies make when I drop them in my change bowl.

Watching the Canada vs. Russia women's Hockey game now. CBC TV has Russia as OAR on the score board. What is OAR? Why don't they just say RSA? Too easy? 1 of our girls are local, we are a county of 48,000 and 2 from Hamilton 45 minutes down the road. Miss Nurse has a brother playing for Edmonton Oilers and her Mom was a summer Olympian and her father played for the Hamilton Tiger Cats in the Comedy Football League, CFL. They live a few blocks from where I grew up.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

OAR stands for Olympic Athlete from Russia. That's what happens when your national Olympic committees are caught allowing doping and other abuses. Russian athletes competing under the OAR tag have cleared drug and doping tests. In other words - It's another game being played.

Canada and the US have picked up more medals;

medalssun.PNG

Canada won Gold in Team Figure Skating;

teamskate.PNG

And the US won Gold in Snowboarding.

slopeladies.PNG

Keep it up Team Canada and Team USA - Unless we go up against each other, like in Hockey. Then it's USA USA USA . :smile:

GA_Boater

Canada picked up another Gold for Mixed Doubles Curling :thumb:; curlinggold.PNG

Chloe Kim of the US won Gold in the Ladies Halfpipe Snowboarding. Arielle Gold won the Bronze;

medalsmon.PNG

Attachments

• ladhalfpipe.PNG
    ladhalfpipe.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ladluge.PNG
    ladluge.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 0

Old Ironmaker

Captain
OAR, please. The athletes not doping haven't been caught, yet. Many don't even know they are being juiced. Watching Ski Jumping live my favorite. As close to flying a human can without a chute or motor.

yes GO CANADA, GO U.S.A. but go Canada 1 more tin than U.S.A.

GA_Boater

USA picked up another Gold medal with Shaun White's 3rd Olympic Gold.

menshalfpipe.PNG

Skiing has been delayed for days because of high winds on the slopes. The schedule is really getting compressed and the skiers won't have much rest.

On the Men's hockey front - US Men lost their first match in OT to Slovenia. Canada's 1st game is tonight against Switzerland.

The US Women's Hockey team has won their 1st two games in the prelims, as has the Canadian Women. Tonight both unbeatens meet - GO USA. For Old Iron - Go Canada. LOL

The Medal count so far;

medalstues.PNG

GA_Boater

The current medal count;

Click image for larger version  Name:	medalswed.PNG Views:	1 Size:	5.3 KB ID:	10537853

US added one Gold for Mikaela Shiffrin winning the Ladies Giant Slalom

Click image for larger version  Name:	gsladies.PNG Views:	1 Size:	9.7 KB ID:	10537854
Canada's Ted-Jan Bloemen won Gold in the Men's 10,000 Speed Skating

Click image for larger version  Name:	mens10000.PNG Views:	1 Size:	8.1 KB ID:	10537855

In Hockey, the Canadian Men won their opener against Switzerland 5-1. The US and Canadian Women played and Canada won 2-1. :blue:

Wind is still causing delays in Alpine Skiing. Friday's events have been rescheduled. When, no idea.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Canada loses 3-2 against the Checks in a shootout. A shootout!!!!! They should play the game until someone drops dead. It's like kicking field goals to break a tie in Football. Shootout shmootout. Don Cherry just agreed with me.

GA_Boater

Some how skipped an update. The current medal standings;

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Germany and Norway are the top guns.

Canada picked up another Gold with Samuel Girard's win in 1,000 meter Short Track speed skating.

The US hasn't added any gold. The Men's Figure Skating was a bust and Lindsey Vonn didn't do well in Women's Super-G, out of the medals.