cooking

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and on the other side of the pool, non cooking related, first season we get to use the boards I built.

jBsh5uF.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
besides the first preseason of the year, the reason for the party was the fisrt time the boy came home since he shipped out three years ago. Nimitz. That is him and his bride in the pool.

899534c5d586ec6c_thumb.jpeg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
for those that have not see a sous vide in action...

here is what it looks like. I use my pressure canning pot and put out of my way on the table. Otherwise it is just a stick in a pot.

kVQzzvg.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
wanted a comparative. Left is salt and pepper encrusted cooked in a 225 oven for about 1.5 hours to 121, resting to 126. Right is the sous vide, 3 hours 121. Prob was done after an hour but nice the about the contraption is you can leave in a long time without affecting anything.

vbPxqyL.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oven. I like the fact that the fat renders a bit. Not a fan of flabby fat the sous vide would produce so i always trim closely when doing it.

7liX3af.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i do cheat a bit; i use a packet of jus mix....but i also use my 7 day bone stock i make and can so semi home made

5iwyHoy.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The oven was more tender which surprised me but the sous vide was more juicy, does not really matter on this application imo. Overall, a push on this dish i'll stick with oven i think.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
glad you liked it and the sous vide there is no need for space on a countertop. It is like a stick blender and you use your own, existing pot. I put mine on the side table in the sunroom when I was using it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Joe. You have a good lookin' crew down there. Be proud. You are all invited here to the lake in Southern Ontario, anytime. I'll buy the viddles, you bring the skills. Oh and the french thing machine, sous vide. I took French for 7 years and don't know what sous vide means, I know sous is under, so something under something. Vide is something like life. Where's that Google Lady? I don't know about the Chiefs thing. Life long Bills fan. Mom was from Western NY. If you didn't cheer for the then AFL Bills at my Nani's home in North Tonawanda, no supper. My first NFL game was the year the Heisman Trophy winner was drafted. He actually wore #36 that exhibition game. I actually was a big fan of the Chiefs when I was a kid, played linebacker in H.S. My guy was Willy Lanier, and his helmet, remember that helmet? I liked Len Dawson too. He looked like a banker and played pro ball. Had a drink with Cristian Akoya,(sic?) in Toronto years ago at a Blue Jay's game. No one recognized him but us, he liked that. You can't miss the guy. The size of a house. When I played I wouldn't know what I would do if he came at me. Maybe wave a white flag? Or hit him around the shoe laces, or lower.

I was going to make a Bolognaise tomato sauce tonight on Rigatoni Pasta. With all the farm fresh veggies out now I over buy. I see I have some that are reaching their best before date. So I made fridge pasta sauce, figured it was going to be good or I would feed the seagulls on the beach, or used to be a beach, Lake Erie levels are so high we lost 20 feet of shoreline. Did I digress? Say it ain't so. It was good, my wife had seconds and I see it's in the Tuperware lunch bowl.

Crushed 2 large garlic cloves
Chopped 1 med. sized white Onion
Diced 2 medium sized Carrots
Diced 2 stalks Celery, include some leaves
Diced 1 8" Zucchini
Diced 4 large white mushrooms
Pureed 3 cans of Plum Tomatoes with immersion blender.

In about a quarter cup of Virgin Olive Oil sweated garlic and onion. Dash salt ( to properly toast garlic and not burn it it is the only time I use cold pan, cold oil, add garlic heat to med hi heat. Watch it, turn it, when golden brown add onions.)
Added all the vegs sautéed for a few minutes added a dash of salt. black pepper and chile peppers
Added about 12 ounces, maybe more, extra lean ground beef, browned, plus salt, black pepper
Once browned added tomatoes, salt, blk pepper again
Bring to boil then to simmer. About 45 mins on simmer. Sound and texture of sauce tells me it's done. Can add a rue or heavy cream if desired to make a Rose succo. My Zia Josephina told me her secret of her succo (sauce) before she died. I had asked her for years. A can of Campbells Cream of Asparagus soup cooked with a can of milk! Easier than making rue and healthier than 18% cream. I couldn't believe it. I use an immersion blender to chop up the little pieces of asparagus that looks like chunks of garlic. We don't like that.

This made a medium size pot of sauce.

In a large pot of water with about a table spoon of sea salt boil for pasta of choice. Penne or Rigatoni is my choice, to trap the sauce in the tubes. Any pasta cam be used here. Never, ever, ever put oil in the water, rinse the pasta with water. It is permissible to add butter to the cooked pasta, a Northern Italy tradition. It is allowed. If you put anything other than salt in the pasta water or rinse it I will hunt you down, I will find you.

Drain Pasta when it's done. (note never drain pasta in sink with out the drain plug in. If you have changed a sink trap before you will see all sorts of nice black, green and other Alien stuff in it. If you drain with plug out the water will splash back up from that goo into your food.)

Put the pasta in a serving bowl and then add the sauce and mix well. This gets the sauce into your pasta where it should be, not on top and with a hump of white pasta under it. Mix it good. Can add some or a lot of Parmesan or Romano cheese now or latter or both times. Please nothing from a cardboard box like Kraft. But I know the real deal cheese can't always be had in the States. When we went down to Florida to the Family condo I had to smuggle a plastic bag full across the boarder. About a Kilo and bound it with duct tape. I once had some splianin'"to do to U.S. Customs.

Make your own fridge succo. I was going to use some floret's of cauliflower and of broccoli but chickened out. Many pasta succos have that in it.

Try it, enjoy. Be brave my friends.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
An the Nigerian nightmare.... Miss old school football.

Wife travels to Windsor ocasionally.

most people don't know the deal on mixing the pasta and sauce. I do a half breed; skim off the most liquid stuff to mix in order to get the soak in then do the ladle on.

I started using carrots a few years back, it is awesome. I however grate mine up to hide them from the kids more effectively.

I use the celery leaves as the garnish. Side note, I grow a couple celery plants each year. Amazing flavor.

Parm in a can; we call it 'green sh..t' and while I agree with you, there are times it is good. Like McDonald's burgers. They ain't the real thing but sometimes it is just what is needed. You save your rinds for soups?

Gonna try the succo.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
The wife and I have been on the Sous Vide binge and there are a few secrets but it works great!! Temperature = amount it is done and Time = tenderness We have done beef, lamb, pork, porkbelly, lobster, shrimp and lots more. My wife is excited to make pickles with it because of the ability for constant temps which will make crisp pickles. Probably the only thing we were not too fond of was the lobster - we are old school boil/steam works fine. I purchased a Harbor Freight weed burner to use to sear the meats - lets just say you must be light handed with it because it is 1/2 million BTU's and will destroy anything in its path if you are not careful....... but what the heck - we all love playing with fire - an absolute outside toy!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I am at work but when I get home I will ask the wife for more info and post it ;)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Oh and you don't use near enough garlic. Gotta keep the vampires away.

Always keep the rinds for soup stocks. As far as not enough garlic I always say less than I use, I find my Manga Cake friends may not try the dishes when they see so much garlic. I actually used 5 LARGE French garlic cloves. They are a strain of purple garlic, much milder than white. Yea, The Nigerian Nightmare, a massive man with the neatest accent ever. He is as kind and demurred as he is huge. Windsor is about 2 hrs. west of us. Enjoy the rest of the summer Joe.

Manga Cake def: Manga to mean eat and Cake as in English so Cake eaters which refers to WASP Canadians that put more worth in the deserts they eat than the main meals. My belief is it doesn't mean cake eaters at all. Manga/eat Caca/Human excrement. Manga Caca? Eaters of human excrement Ewwww. .

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
couple from the weekend

Leftover ribeye. Mayo on the cold side and horseradish on the hot side. Jalepenos, bleu cheese, bacon, red onion, baby swiss and swish chard / tomatoes from the garden.

xr8ZVpI.jpg

DV9MxEU.jpg

N2F9NvK.jpg

xWJWDK2.jpg

BfXC2Db.jpg

sfXP1no.jpg

vYgRaG5.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so the neighbors barn was starting to be overrun with some pigeons. Not anymore. Potatoes with thyme, parsley and sage all of it from the garden. Cooked rare. I could only eat three, wife took a bite but since she knew what it was she just couldn't eat more than one bite. I'll chunk 'em up a bit in the am and serve with a couple over easy eggs on toast.

lgGeftp.jpg

fKe976F.jpg

XzBQIPE.jpg

NmTlcCr.jpg

Old Ironmaker

Captain
My favorite thing about pigeons is shooting them. I have an old friend in north eastern Ontario on the Quebec border that is paid a bounty by dairy farmers to kill them. He needs to take 3 shotguns as he shoots so many in 1 day the barrels get too hot.

I made a Italian Pork dish the other night called "Spetzatini." Which means small cuts. It's so simple.

Get a cheap cut of Pork like Pork Butt.

Cut into 1" pieces.

Brown garlic in fry pan with more than a little EVO, (extra virgin olive oil,) Cold pan, cold oil, cold garlic. medium high heat. We don't want to burn the garlic so it can be removed until pork is golden brown then put it back in. I always do this now when browning and sautéing any meat with garlic. No one wants little black stuff in their dish.

Add pork into hot pan to sear.

Add salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes to taste, dry oregano, dry basil, dried fennel and dried rosemary.

After browned add some red or white wine (optional) cook off wine and lower heat until done, don't over cook it will get too dry.

That's it, done. I don't think you will find this on the inter net. Serve with rice, roaster potatoes or whatever carb you like and a crusty bun or Italian bread. Please no Wonder Bread, I will hunt you down.

Last edited: