cooking

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Got a big green egg gifted to us. Forgot how much better charcoal is.

Anybody have one and have any good tips?

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
gonna try my hand at home made sausage...

20180725_101137.jpg

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'll be interested to hear how you like your sausage making attachment. I was pretty disappointed; I ended up getting a real sausage stuffer and it makes the process so much easier...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah was not happy with the casing sausage, took waaay too much work for two small tubes. Threw all the attachments in the trash. Plus the wife like the patties better it turns out;the texture is more loose not packed in like the casings.

Turns out I bought enough seasoning mic for about 125 lbs of pork. Gonna have that a long time; we don't eat sausage too much.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Finally have a place in our small town that has fresh or at least good quality fish. this week; mahi.

couple soft fried corn one one double flour shell. Home made sauce and salsa from a local dude at the farmers market.

r8Fi63t.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
In honor of the passing of the inventor of the green bean casserole. I don't use soup I use my home made bone stock but still in the spirit.

​​​​dredged in cream, dipped in heavily seasoned (salt pepper) flour. No double dredge

ObiTp8o.jpg
​​​​​​

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Using the same flour, pork tenderloin with my jalapeno jelly as a sauce (butter and orange juice added) and a puck of carbs

axq3mwv.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The puck of carbs no, the sugar in the jelly no but the rest yes.

are you treedancer from festus?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Luckily for everyone ..My wife does all the cooking ..;)
But I am feeding my crew at work before thanksgiving ...
Just burgers and dogs ... My 36” flat griddle will make quick work of it ..
Around 60 or so guys ..

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I accidentaly made the best fried rice I have ever had in my life. I have had the opportunity to travel to Asia a few times too. It was an accident, fridge dinner, what was left in the fridge went into it. I did something different but don't know what. The only thing I can think about was when I thought I was adding a splash of Sesame oil to the pan it was actually Soya Sauce. I dunno. It was simply a few not so fresh scallions, white mushrooms, a fresh Shallotte finely chopped, a piece of red bell pepper chopped, a splash of fish sauce, in hot canola oil and a splash of red pepper oil and a piece of cooked pork roast sliced 1/2" by 3" long. All sautéed together then microwaved Minute Rice slightly undercooked. A trick I learned was to make the rice ahead of time, spread it out on a sheet pan and put in the freezer for 1/2 hour or just put it outside till cool if cold out. It will dry it out and won't let it stick together. Fried rice isn't fried is it? Wow it was good. Maybe we were very hungry.

I don't know why they call it Asian fish sauce (this one from Viet Nam) there isn't any fish used to make it.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Making homemade sausages is a lot like crime. You don't learn it late in life or in a classroom. I have been doing it since the age of 10 until Dad was too old to order me to help. Sometimes 100 pounds at a time. Could be a 2 day thing. I swore when I didn't have to help him I would never make them again and haven't. I have an Italian gent that makes them and sells them to a few of us lazy guys for 4 bucks a pound. If I pay myself 5 bucks an hour I can't beat 4 bucks a pound.

If you insist on making sausages, even patties and buy a whole shoulder you must remove the small dark glands that are in the shoulder. It will change the taste immensely. My brother still makes 50 lbs at a time, usually 4 or 5 shoulders and will not buy it already cubed or ground in case they missed a gland. Those glands can ruin an entire batch, especially if hung to dry like pepperoni.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
made a cioppino the other night. first time.

shrimps
salmon
mahi
black mussels
green mussels
clams
crab
bay scallops
red pepper flakes
tomatoes
leeks
onions
broth made of crawdad heads (i make and freeze when we do a boil)

it was most awesome.

it was most awesome.

1ZXY1mk.jpg

1ZXY1mk

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Marinating most of a venison hind quarter for jerky. It should be ready to hit the smoker tomorrow morning and finished by tomorrow evening. Will start out at 200 degrees to get the smoke flowing (about 1 hour), then back it down to 160 for the rest of the day (approx 12 hours).

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
wow that is warm. I do a couple hundred pounds each year of beef, I rarely go above 100. Usually takes 18-24 hours. I like my meat dried not cooked.

harringtondav

Commander
If you insist on making sausages, even patties and buy a whole shoulder you must remove the small dark glands that are in the shoulder. It will change the taste immensely.

I just stumbled onto this chat. I'm glad to see "manly men" cook. Guess I can come out of the closet. I've done nearly all of the cooking in our house for 42 yrs. The good wife cleans up the aftermath. And like my boat fixing skills, I see I can learn a lot more here on this forum. Winter is bread baking time for me. As stated previously, it has taken years to get it right.

Old Ironmaker Do you have a recipe to share for plain old fresh pork sausage? Pork, salt, pepper, sage, kinda thing. I've tried it with grocery store ground pork, and it didn't cut it. You mention shoulder above. I'd be making only a few pounds, so would a meat counter pork shoulder roast work?