Ski Bridle Question

Hey guys,
I’m looking to buy a ski bridle for a Glastron GT 150. I have noticed that there are two types of bridles. One where the attachment piece is fixed.

51r68DJCFAL.jpg

….and one where the is a little pully wheel so that rope can move across the bow from one transom hook to the other(at least I would assume).

51HBBzWHzSL.jpg

So this being said, Which is better for slalom skiing!? Many thanks :)

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
bb,
From my experience skiing over the years, I recall using the ones with pulley only, and I think they provide a more constant tension on the line. Although they are a bit more complicated to deal with, may be more expensive, may not last as long. But I think it wouldn't make much difference to an experienced skier. I think a fixed bridle might better prepare a less-experienced skier for skiing behind a true ski boat and learning how to control the tension through technique.

Hey thanks for the response!

Something else I was also thinking, would a fixed bridle put more tension on transom hooks? I feel as though a bridle with a pulley would distribute the load better.

Perhaps a bridle with a pulley would also keep the boat from being moved around after sharp cuts from a skier? I'm really just speculating here!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
one is simply cheaper than the other. I have both.

on slalom skis you can gunwale walk the boat with either.

your transom hooks are rated at about 4000# or more

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i had the one with the pully and it worked good.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've used the pulley type for skiing. Mine had a coated steel cable with floating pulley. I shortened up the length of the bridle A LOT. So when attached and under load, the pulley was only 3-4" behind the motor. Even though it had a float, there was no way it could get past the cavitation plate into the prop.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
the bridle with the pulley helps distribute the forces on both eyes. The one with the fixed center pull will put a force on each eye separately and one eye will have all the force on it and the other will have just about nothing on it adding an extreme force the eyes may not be able to take. the only time the force on both eyes would be balanced is when the skier is directly behind the boat