Wakeboard Ropes/Ski Ropes/Kneeboarding Ropes

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at ropes for all 3. Noticed there are all sorts and different kinds of ropes. Do I need to get different ropes for each activity? Is there one single rope that will work for all 3? I have never Wakeboarded before so will be learning this summer if that helps.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Wakeboard Ropes/Ski Ropes/Kneeboarding Ropes

I'm wondering the same thing. We have one rope for Tubing and Sking but we are getting into wake boarding this summer. I think you can use a ski rope for sking and tubing but a wake board rope is non stretch kind. Don't know the technical terms for it.

oldjeep

Admiral

Handles tend to be a bunch wider on wakeboard ropes as well.

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the link Dreamer.

Water_God32

Seaman

For wakeboarding and kneeboarding you will want to use a "no stretch" rope for skiing a "low stretch" rope is recommended, and for tubing there are "bungee" style ropes to reduce the whiplash action that you can get from the ski rope.

Here are some links to some different ropes:
Wakeboard/Kneeboard: http://www.iboats.com/Wakeboard-Wakeskate-Ropes/dm/*******.225951813--session_id.236840839--view_id.217695
Water Ski: http://www.iboats.com/Water-Ski-Ropes/dm/*******.225951813--session_id.236840839--view_id.258727
Tubing: http://www.iboats.com/Tow-Ropes/dm/*******.225951813--session_id.236840839--view_id.258723

Hope this is helpful!!

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your tubing should not be done on a rope you want to use for other things. The loads can get too high. If you are just getting one rope get a wakeboard, no stretch, rope. If you are a reasonable water skier you'll hate that rope and want a ski rope but for other sports the no stretch is better.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

no stretch either spectra or deemna or however its spelt for kneeboarding and wakeboarding. the key differenece for the 2 is length most kneeboarders ride around 55 feet where wakeboarders anywhere from 55 to 75 depending on wake size and shape. id buy a mainline thats 55 and has a few 5' addable lengths.

the rope is really thin but super strong. i forgot my tubing rope one day (poly-e style rope so it stretches and is really thick) and i used my wakeboard rope for my Obrien screamer 2 person tube with 170 pound person on it. the rope had no problem and actually caught less in the wake during slack after cutting to slingshot the tube side to side. i was hesitant at first and i probably wouldnt do it with 2 people.... but just saying its worked. that dyneema/spectra line has more tensile strength than steel so it shouldnt be an issue.... just check the load capacity of the line and compare it to an actual tube line, if there similar id just buy 1 rope.... but thats just me.