Lower Back Pain From Wakeboarding - Why?

LionBear

Cadet
My wife and I went out wakeboarding this weekend, and now both have a dull pain in our lower back on our right side. We've both wakeboarded before, but have never had this happen. We just got a new boat, and a new wakeboard. I'm wondering if we're doing something wrong???

Maybe the rope was too long? Wakeboard is giving us issue? What do you think??

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Lower Back Pain From Wakeboarding - Why?

Happens as you get older, just work through the pain and toughen it up ;)

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you stretch before you board? Common issue, no one stretches out their muscles and end up pulling something. Do some lower back exercises on a regular basis and you should be back in good shape.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once your back and hips start to get sore try going the other way.

That is what I do and it is a good way to encourage yourself to go switch.

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For me, focusing on keeping my back straight helps me avoid those pains. (I'm in the older, not as quick to recover crowd, so anything I can do to avoid those pains helps me get back out on the water the next day).

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sore muscles after wakeboarding is very common, especially if you're not out doing it regularly. You're using a lot of muscles that don't normally get worked, and they're being worked pretty hard for this activity. Like others have said, just try to warm up a little beforehand, and stretch afterwards. As long as the soreness goes away within a few days, it shouldn't be something to worry about.

LionBear

Cadet

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I think a good stretch is in order next time around. We're both feeling much better today, especially after a long soak in the hot tub last night. Damn age just keeps creeping up on me...

Rockyncali

Cadet

Do you stretch before you board? Common issue, no one stretches out their muscles and end up pulling something. Do some lower back exercises on a regular basis and you should be back in good shape.

A lot of people don't think about this. Wakeboarding is exercise and should be treated as such. I've been boarding for years, and I can't even count how many times people that have went with me were so exhausted and sore afterwards. I actually use wake-to-wake 180s as a way of keeping those love handles off. So very big +1 on the stretching.

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you may be hunched over. I try to think about keeping my chest out and using my stronger upper back muscles , not the weaker lower back. This comes from a guy who just had lower back surgery two years ago. Popped my L5 disk while trying to salom ski. Now I keep the chest out and have never had a pain since, (due to skiing or boarding).

dwells1234

Seaman Apprentice

New to wakeboarding and we are going out this weekend for our first time. How long should we go with the rope?

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're just starting and won't be going for any air then the length won't matter too much. As you start to try wake to wake jumps you'll want to shorten the rope as that will make you wake to wake jump shorter and you won't have to be going as fast to make it.