Wakeboarding and X games, what happened??

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, I'm watching the xgames, full of motor sports. they have two different rally car events. Why?? I remember when xgames was all board sports, bmx and inline skates. they don't have inline anymore, no wakeboarding!!! I even miss watching flatland bmx, those guys had some skill. this rally car stuff is a bunch of bs. there are at least two competitors in rally that used to do real xgames events, travis pastrana and dave mirra. I'd much rather watch them do their original sport. wakeboarding needs to be in the xgames. before all these motor sports got involved, wakeboarders got more air than any other event! Now with wakeskate xgames could make a sick water skate park, and have jet skis run different lines through the course. anyone else with me?? we need to write a petition to xgames. its becoming ridiculous!

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Wakeboarding and X games, what happened??

I agree that it would be cool for there to be wakeboarding. But I also think it would be cool for there to be snowboarding...:eek:
Travis did compete in Freestyle Motox
And both Mirra and Pastrana have said they moved to Rally because it allows them to compete without as many injuries.
Mirra has to be getting old...
I was strangely disappointed with the Skateboard events, the way they ran Heats and Runs it almost seemed rushed, like it isn't worth the time/attention anymore.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe wakeboarding grew to the point where it has it's own major championships and events now?

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

xgames used to be the biggest event of the year for wakeboarders, no other competition had/has the publicity of xgames. I just think it sucks that xgames has become all about motor sports. and they do have a ton a snowboarding, at winter x. maybe they need to bring back all the board sports, at board x. they could have moto x games, board x games, and winter x games.

Rinker97

Seaman

I just was reading about it, they said it wasn't popular enough, Which i kind of agree with most the people who are into wakeboarding are the people who do it. People that don't have boats and that don't wakeboard don't know anything about it. IMO

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had this same conversation with my buddys this weekend and the verdict seems to be that the xgames peaked 5 years ago. Didn't it use to be a whole week? now its 4 days? And did anyone notice how empty the stadium was for the skateboarding big air? thats a pretty cool event and still noone is showing up to watch?

Now the rally cars are pretty cool but I agree that is shouldn't have replaced any of the classic xgames sports. WHAT HAPPENED TO LUGE? Now that was cool. And I remember watching wakeboarding before i even knew what it was and being soooo impressed. Didn't they try to add surfing one year? now thats a good idea.

Wakeskating could be a sweet addition..... just no intrest in the xgames at all anymore and its effecting their budget i'm assuming?

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can agree with you that xgames peaked awhile ago. All people care about is seeing some of the same dudes that used to rock their xtreme sport years ago drive rally cars around a stadium. Luge was extreme. I'd like to watch longboard racing. they did do surfing. there used to be events all over the city, now everything happens at the stadium. blah.... i feel old now

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Crap so do I, at what point did I come to the point of talking about "the good ole days" haha my next rant is going to be about ribbon candy and moon pies and those damn kids and their rap music....