fins on wakeboard

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got a wakeboard to try and learn on. It came with fins that are removable and are not attached. There are fins for the middle and then two on each side. Then the same set up for the rear of the board. My question is should I put all the fins on or just certain ones?

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fins on wakeboard

Use the center ones in the beginning...as you advance, remove them, and use the side ones on the rail. Most new boards have the side ones as part of the board.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

This is really all personal preference. I had a board that I took the center fins off and liked it better... then I had a Murray I rode with them. I think the design of the board and how you want it to respond has a lot to do with how you want your fins set up. You just have to take a few sets with different configurations and see what you like best.

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is really all personal preference. I had a board that I took the center fins off and liked it better... then I had a Murray I rode with them. I think the design of the board and how you want it to respond has a lot to do with how you want your fins set up. You just have to take a few sets with different configurations and see what you like best.

Maybe you can help me with this, what variables go into choosing a fin? I've been using the one that came with my board so far and dont really have any complaints but after a season of being man handled by drunks trying to learn but not buy their own equipment their showing some wear and i've looking at replacing them.

jaycozer

Seaman Apprentice

Some boards are designed with better stability. If you take the center fins out it will be easier for spins but if just learning or not going to do these types of tricks it will probably be harder to control board when making turns.

The other post on center fin replacement:
I don't know how much difference there can be in replacing the center fins with different designs(so not really able to answer your question). I would think longer fins will restrict spinning tricks but add stability. But..if you were to take the fins out and have your drunks(I'm assuming they are safe to be in the water when I say this) ride them you might get a few laughs watching the board slide out from underneath them. Which would likely happen if they were used to riding the board with the center fins.

Just a bit of fun and you could tell them the old fins got banged around and you had to take them out but not able to get new ones yet. Maybe they'll step up and kick in for your replacements. Probably not, but it's all fun out on the water anyhow.

Last edited:

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm still a beginner for wake boarding, but I can jump (and fall) enough to impress my kids.

I have a cheapo Hydroslide board and Body glove bindings. They work well enough for me. There's one fin at each end of the board that I leave on. I've considered taking them off, but I think that would make the board to "slippery" on the water. I can still spin with the fins on though, so I think they're fine.

I can totally see how different boards would be completely different in this regard. For example, I don't think my current board cuts very well. If I had one that did, maybe I wouldn't need the finds at all.

Bass_boy7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fins are there to create stability on the water you need to find the right rocker pattern that suits your needs for instance a 3 stage rocker is made to create a nice fast cut/pop over the wake the best board patter out there I think personally I swear by my Ronix "one" board. Its all personal preference and how you ride

sethjon

Put them all in. You won't notice a difference but they actually will help a little.

SeanT

I think you will feel a difference. Especially the first time you cut outside to line up a chunk of wake, and your rear leg slides forward and you catch a forward edge...

I reopened a cut on my forhead this weekend doing exactly that, and my fins were in. I obviously wanted to cut harder than my feet were letting me. I had to take a break after that wipeout.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

The fins are there to create stability on the water you need to find the right rocker pattern that suits your needs for instance a 3 stage rocker is made to create a nice fast cut/pop over the wake the best board patter out there I think personally I swear by my Ronix "one" board. Its all personal preference and how you ride

Bad information...
3Stage = more pop, slower edge due to a non consistant surface shape
Continuous = mellow pop faster edge.
Hybrid = best of both worlds with little trade off... a bit slower than a true continuous and a little less pop than a true 3stage.

Ronix "One" board is a very nice board BTW.

Bass_boy7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ill be honest I have found my 3 stage to cut faster at the wake then my continuous but I guess its how I ride as I am a very aggressive rider and cut at the wake hard could be why but the 3 stage is all for me.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

ill be honest I have found my 3 stage to cut faster at the wake then my continuous but I guess its how I ride as I am a very aggressive rider and cut at the wake hard could be why but the 3 stage is all for me.

I will be honest as well. You are probably comparing boards with many differences besides just the rocker that could be combining to make the difference so your 3 stage board may be faster than your continuous rocker board.

What I stated is a general truth of rocker lines that you can find on just about any manufacturer's website or in any aerodynamics or fluids text book. However, How much rocker is there, fin positioning, spines, lenght of fins, edge shape of the board can all play a role.

All things held constant in design except rocker... a continuous will carry more speed than a 3 stage.

Yea, I am an Engineer and as soon as I got into Wakeboarding I started studying the equipment. Its the curse that cause me to go into engineering in the first place. I love to know how things work.

Bass_boy7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no worries bud, to each thier own, I am wakeboarding welder so we all come from different walks of life, but we share the interest in the sport.

SeanT

wakeboarding welder?

I would _like_ to see that!

Bass_boy7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hahah as my occupation I hope you understand that lol

SeanT

Yep, but there's still this great picture in my mind.

Bass_boy7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hahaha Ill weld you a tower as I scarecrow over the wake, how does that work for ya lol

Rinker97

Seaman

back on topic :) lol...... So a beginner wakeboarder should use the fins? When you feel like your not a beginner anymore should you ride with or with out them? Also whats a good size fin to use if you do want to ride with them? Seems like there's hundreds out there..

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My center fins are not larger than my molded. If they were I would take them out.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

As has been said...personal preference. Everyone should try experimenting with fins of different sizes, and with/without fins. It DOES make a significant difference, and every board is indeed very different.

Just an example of my personal experiences

I have an Obrien board that I HATE, and it has 1.5" fins. My buddy loves it, so I leave it alone and let him ride it.

I have an old Origin board that I absolutely LOVE so much that it's cracked and worn out desperately needs replacement, but I still ride it. It has 1" fins and I never changed them.

I recently got a Byerly board that came with 2.25" fins, and could do almost NOTHING on that board...not one surface trick (except faceplants LOL), because the fins were way too big. So I took those 2.25's off and tried riding it without. Absolutely the most slippery thing in the world...couldn't stay up on it, and almost couldn't catch a good edge unless I got REALLY fast and aggressive...then it worked. I'm learning this is a very technical board and it will take some time for me to get used to it...seemed like every time I dug my heels in to catch an edge it just slipped out and I ended up on my tail. But if I dug in faster/harder I could actually catch that edge before it slipped and save it. So I felt I needed the crutch of some fin. So I put the 1" fins on it off of my Origin and tried that. Better, but still too slippery for my taste and skill level. So I took the 2.25" fins and trimmed them down on my workbench to about 1.75". Better, but maybe sticking too much. Now I can at least grab that edge without the board kicking out on me. I might take another 1/4" off but I'm gonna ride like this for a bit and see if I get used to it.

Experiment, adjust, experiment, adjust, and FIND YOUR OWN preference.

As a very generic rule, beginners who don't have good board control will find that good sized fins are very helpful in stabilizing. Definitely put them all on to help you learn how to get out of the water, and how to just generally ride around without falling. Once you no longer are randomly falling at every little ripple, and after you actually learn to use the EDGE to turn instead of the fins, you may not need the fins anymore, and you will probably want smaller or trimmed fins because less fin generally makes many tricks easier. It is very important that beginners learn early that they should NOT rely on the fins to turn the board. You are supposed to turn the board by using the EDGE of the board. Therefore it is a very good training tool to take your fins off to eliminate this crutch. If, without fins, you find it is more difficult to turn, it is because you've been turning WRONG with poor technique. Indeed it will feel much more slippery, and you will probably fall more often, but it is an outstanding training tool to take them off and give it a go. Again, this all varies with the board design.

Everyone has their own happy place with regards to fins, and every board is VERY different and reacts differently to fins...therefore this question simply has no fixed answer.