AERIAL wakeboard tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: AERIAL wakeboard tower?

I think DIY Wake is another cheap brand very worthy of consideration. I just installed one on my 1999 Stingray 200LX last weekend, photos attached. Random thoughts and observations follow.

It seems plenty solid enough for a generic universal tower. Got their "Pro Swoop" and one Wakeboard rack delivered to my home for $749. Spent another $139 on Ebay for an Aerial waterski rack for the other side, since I didn't like the dimensions on the DIY wake waterski rack.

So I'm out exactly $888 for a tower and TWO racks, with shipping INCLUDED. I thought that was a pretty good price. Shipping was STUNNINGLY fast. It travelled from California to my home in Indiana exactly TWO days after I paid for it. Pleasant surprise.

Quality and install difficulty were pretty average. No heim joints, which is nice. I always thought heim joints look very unfinished with their tiny diameter and sometimes exposed threads and all. I figured out install no problem without having to call them or ask any questions. You know what they say...measure 8 times, and drill once! It seems solid and everything did go according to plan. As Stingrays are notoriously light boats with thin fiberglass and questionable build quality/strength, I definitely wanted to add backer boards behind the mounts to help spread the load, even though DIY Wake's instructions said the small aluminum brackets they provide are good enough. I feel better about overbuilding a bit. I used scrap 3/4" plywood, globbed it up solid with epoxy, then thru-bolted the brackets on as tight as possible before the epoxy set up so it would ooze out all over the place and fill the gaps. A pic of that is attached also. Even the thick 3/4" ply flexed enough to meet the very slight contour of the boat. If I had more of a curve to deal with, thinner ply would have been better. On the outside, the rubber pads on the DIY Wake feet seemed to compress enough to compensate for my VERY slight curve of the mount points, but they wouldn't compensate for very much of a curve at all. You need to have ALMOST a completely flat surface to mount this type of generic tower.

Overall I'm pleased. Got the Swoop design becuase I wanted full adjustability on height. By spreading the legs out wide I could set this up so I could still back my trailer into my garage without folding it down, which is about 9' 10" clearance at the door. And inside the boat the bar is about 6' 5" above the floor, so very few people would ever need to duck. I could set these legs any distance apart that I wanted to in order to get that exact height I needed with 1" of clearance. So I'm very happy to say I never should need to fold it down.

And that's a good thing. If you want an easy-to-fold tower, I don't think this one is for you...despite their advertising. You'd need a hex wrench (actually two...can you believe about 1/2 the fasteners in this kit were SAE, and the other half were metric? Wierd), and you'd need to completely remove 4 bolts, then loosen 4 more at pivot points in order for this to fold. No big deal, but not exactly a "pull the pin and drop it" type of thing. I tow to lake and ski 2 to 3 evenings or mornings per week all summer long, and then back it into my garage for storage after each session. That's a whole lot of bolting and unbolting in my situation. And most of the bolts are threaded into aluminum blocks. And after I got the bolts out I think my racks would probably be in the way and would need to come off. Another 4 bolts. After frequent and regular folding I could easily see stripped threads, lost bolts, stripped hex heads, scratched up tower legs, and creaky loose pivot/disconnect points in my future. So I'm VERY happy I was able to set this up for my normal storage routine and never need to fold it, so I can crank these bolts down TIGHT and never touch them again.

I've learned that polished aluminum towers will scratch when you look at them funny. Not the most durable finish at all. Luckily for me I don't care much about appearances on my old boat, and this tower is all about function. But I see multiple gouges and scratches in this tower's future. Already has a few small ones from the rigors of installation, and I haven't even had it on the water yet. If this bothers you, spring the extra cash for a stainless tower, or you can choose to be an annoyingly anal person and yell at everyone who touches or bumps your aluminum one.

I can report back about any creaking/squeaking/swaying after I run it sometime hopefully in the next few weeks. I don't expect any problems as I've been hanging and pulling and jumping on it and it is VERY tight and solid and quiet. But if bolts start to come loose, my backup plan is to just aluminum weld all these pivot joints together permanantly and forget the bolts. I have that ability and it might be worth the time to do so...but I'll only do it if something seems to want to move.

Yeah, it's probably a cheap China-built piece, but so what? Obviously "you get what you pay for," and I really think I got my $888 worth and not much more. I'm more than haappy to save a thousand bucks or two over the more expensive towers, which I'm sure are better quality, but overkill for my standards. The best part is that this cheapo tower & rack allowed me to buy Perfectpass Stargazer system in ADDITION to a tower and stay within my budget, rather than just buy an expensive tower and still have to fight the throttle war...

For anyone who decides to buy this brand, do yourself a huge favor and invest in a right-angle close-quarters drill. You'll need it to drill 8 square and straight holes from the inside of the double-overhead crossbars. About $35 for a junker at Harbor Freight tools, and will result in MUCH better build quality than using a normal drill, which will force you to drill angled holes. If that doesn't make sense, you'll see exactly what I mean when you get to this particular step...handy tool to have around anyway. That was the only bonus purchase I had to make to get this job done.

And my Stingray has a fairly narrow beam, like 76-ish inches I think. I had to cut about 6" off of the 4 legs to get it narrow enough to fit my boat. This situation is not unusual, and is explained in the instructions quite clearly. Aluminum legs cut pretty easy with a hacksaw, but I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. The cut end is 100% hidden inside the crosspipe, so it doesn't need to be a pretty or clean or square cut, don't let this possibility intimidate you.

Oh yeah, the bungee cord setup on the racks kinda sucks (on both the Aerial and the DIY rack...bungee system is identical on them...heck, probably same chinese mfr...). They're good for holding ONE board in place, but when you put two boards on one rack, the bottom board (and ski) doesn't get held very securely by the bungee. It can't fall out, but I'm certain it will wobble and move and shift when I hit waves. I may need to add some bungees or straps of some type, but that shouldn't be very hard to engineer...

One final note about the racks, since I have one of each brand. While the Aerial waterski rack I bought is very nice overall, the universal clamp for the rack SUCKS. They give you a big universal 2.5" clamp and a whole bunch of rubber spacers for different diameter tubing. Since my legs are 2" in diameter, I have to put in the 1/4" rubber spacer to fill the gap. When this is tightened down, the whole rack wobbles and springs around on the rubber. So I went to the next size up on the rubber spacer which is 5/16" and crammed it in there and tightened it down. I was able to compress the rubber enough that the wobble is mostly gone, but it looks like CRAP because the rubber is oozing out of gaps all over the place. DIY Wake's rack clamp, in comparison, is all metal, with no rubber spacer, custom made for 2" pipe. It looks great and is 100% solid. So let me repeat this again: Aerial's universal rack clamp SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. So I will probably order a DIY Wake or Krypt 2" clamp to replace the Aerial clamp, which will be another $35-ish investment, so not a big deal. I first want to verify the bolt pattern is the same between these brands and I believe it is.

Unrelated note. This is my "pawn shop" boat. Purchased last fall from a pawn shop very cheap, due to fully disclosed cracked engine block (5.0L Volvo) which I intended to swap out over the winter for a 5.7. I was pleasantly surprised to find the crack to be external only...JB WELD! And after I trouble-shot the boat myself I discovered it only was a non-runner due to a bad connection inside the electric fuel pump (which I rebuilt myself for FREE), and after testing compression and leakdown I discovered this engine itself is internally solid as a rock! So the engine replacement budget shifted quickly to tower & Perfectpass!!! Yay! After wetsanding, minor upholstery repairs, new decals, a comprehensive tune-up, a few minor mechanical repairs, a new 4 blade stainless prop, and a whole bunch of time and elbow grease, I built myself a VERY nice wakeboarding/skiing/cruising machine that runs PERFECT, rips out of the hole like a bat out of hell and tops out at 57 mph GPS!! Out of a 20.3 foot runabout with a 220 HP 5.0L 2bbl! I was shocked at the speed since most 20 ft runabouts with this powerplant are doing good to see speeds in the mid to high 40's. So I gotta give it up to Stingray for building an incredibly fast boat out of lower HP motors, though you pay a price in thinner fiberglass and the associated flexing, and a bit of a rough ride in the chop due to their hull design. But as a watersports guy I purposely avoid choppy times and generally only go out when the water is smoooooth, so it works well as a wakeboard boat. With trim down most of the way the wake is large, smooth, and BEAUTIFUL in the 18 to 24 mph range, with no ballast seeming to be necessary. And when I get it up to 30 the wake shrinks down very nicely for a pretty easy run thru the slalom course. So my rig is now fully equipped with all the most helpful wakeboarding/skiing toys...tower and GPS Perfectpass, and I'm out of pocket a bit less than $7K total for price of boat and all repairs/accessories.

Though I'm sure it's not as great as a true wakeboard boat for that particular purpose, I did it for under $7K. And I kept the option to cruise fuel-efficiently and comfortably, go fast as hell when I want to, trim up and motor freely into the shallows to beach the boat, or to go fishing in the stump fields, etc. And those are all the things those expensive inboards and V-drives simply cannot do. And it looks great condition-wise, like it's about 2 years old now. I'm very very pleased overall. It's certainly a fantastic upgrade to the 1992 3.0L 18ft Rinker I replaced...

Sorry pics aren't the best as I didn't feel like pulling it outside just for a photo shoot. I think you get the idea though...

Attachments

• tower (2).jpg
    tower (2).jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • tower (3).jpg
    tower (3).jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
  • tower (4).jpg
    tower (4).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tower (5).jpg
    tower (5).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tower.jpg
    tower.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0

rabiddawg

Cadet

Ok Craze1cars I am sold. One question. Would we be money ahead to buy different racks that actually fit the 2" pipe instead of messing with the rubber spacers? Or, are these racks better than other comparably priced racks (that fit) and just live with the rubbers.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Depends what kind of rack you want/need. The only reason I ended up buying an Aerial rack is because I didn't like DIYWake's WATERSKI rack. I did buy DIYWake's WAKEBOARD rack and it works good/looks good/clamps good.

But DIYWake's WATERSKI rack had strange dimensions that wouldn't fit my double-boot slalom ski. So I started shopping different brands for that application. Aerial's dimensions work well for my double-boot slalom, but it turned out their universal clamp with rubber spacers sucks, so I'm now mixing/matching parts. (FYI I am ending up with a Krypt 2" clamp to put on this Aerial rack to solve the problem...ordered it yesterday...supposedly it will fit my Aerial rack, I hope they're right. Only doing this because DIY's clamp would NOT fit my Aerial rack. So now I will have 3 brands of stuff mixed in! Add $35 to my cost)

Summary because I am WAAAAAY too wordy: If you're not trying to fit a double-boot slalom waterski on your rack, just buy DIY Wake's racks...the clamps they come with will be custom sized for your pipes and will work excellent, and I think their prices are unbelievably low, especially if you get one of the package tower & rack specials off their website. Click "packages" and you'll see what I mean...my tower with TWO racks with GOOD custom clamps would have been only $848 with free shipping. I overshot that figure by about $75 and shopped different brands only because of my double-boot-slalom situation that DIYwake couldn't accomodate.

To help you learn from my only mistake in this purchase: Be very wary of ANY brand of rack that advertises "universal fit" clamps covering 1.5 to 2.5 inches or similar. I have learned the rubber spacer method they utilize is a VERY poor and cheezy way to mount a rack. Stick with the brands that specifically ask you to inform them of your pipe diameter. They will be sending you machined metal parts that are specifically made for your pipe size...a much better alternative, and the price is the same anyway.

Pics attached to better explain. Photo 1 is the very nice solid custom clamp you will get with DIY Wake racks (and I believe Krypt also). Photo 2 is the crappy springy/wobbly ugly universal clamp Aerial gives you with their racks, which I will be replacing with a custom 2" Krypt clamp in a couple days.

EDIT EDIT EDIT May 10. I got the Krypt clamp in the mail. PERFECT fit to my Aerial rack and DIY tower. No more wobble, looks beautiful. I will probably slap the useless universal Aerial clamp on Ebay sometime and sell it to someone else who wants to try it. I have absolutely CONFIRMED that Aerial's universal clamp LOOKS and WORKS very very POORLY. While DIY's and Kyrpts custom clamps are most excellent...and they all mix and match among the brands with no problemo. $35 well spent. BEWARE Aerial's junk rack clamps!!

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
  • clamp (2).jpg
    clamp (2).jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0

rabiddawg

Cadet

I am sorry. I misread your post. I thought the diy clamps were the faulty ones.

After talking with diy, I ordered the swoop with the wakeboard and kneeboard package. :)

Craze, you gonna come down here and put this thing on:D

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

Very informative post on the DIY towers. Been looking at some of their packages myself. Let us know how they hold up under load.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Just got in from first afternoon/evening session boarding with friends on my DIY Wake tower. PERFECT. It's everything I hoped it would be. Absolutely rock solid, 100% silent, not one single creak or pop AT ALL, under ANY load. And let's not forget...dirt cheap as far as towers go. And as a side note, the money I saved by going el-cheapo on the tower, and putting the extra into Perfectpass Stargazer, was an AWESOME decision...I LOVE that feature, and can't imagine how we survived all these years without it. Frankly I think I like it a little better than the tower itself. I think if I'd have to choose one, I might take Perfectpass over the tower...but that would be a difficult choice. Tower gives extra storage AND more altitude. Perfectpass gives EXACTLY the same pull every single time, allowing longer rides with total consistency, which equals less fatigue and easier/faster learning and perfecting tricks, even if you don't have the world's most perfect driver to pull you. It's hard to decide who enjoyed the system more, the driver or the rider. Both loved it.

And no gelcoat cracks. Doubt it ever will. If anything changes I will be sure to report back here.

She's a good one! I will now officially and fully recommend the DIY Wake tower I purchased it to others. And I will confidently say you do NOT need to spend big money to get a respectable tower for your boat. This cheap univeral is fine...but ONLY IF you take the few extra steps I mention above in my install method...I did NOT simply follow DIY Wake's install instructions. I found them to be a bit lacking in some important details...details that I believe caused the gelcoat racks in the other poster's thread discussed here recently.

DIY Wake's instructions do not adequately address mount-point surface curvature, or how to accomplish adequate fiberglass reinforcement. And I think these two issues are both ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to address in EVERY SINGLE install. If you don't, your boat could suffer damage. Shame on DIY Wake for not explaining the importance of these details in their instructions. But beyond that oversight on their part, I have few complaints. DIY Wake is a good company that sells a good product.

mkeller

Recruit

1993 classic with a aerial. Pretty straight forward. Did some modding on the feet to match the hull contour

Attachments

• tower side.jpg
    tower side.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0

rabiddawg

Cadet

I too modified the back of the mounting feet to match the curve of my boat. After four days of boating, my tower has not made a sound or crack and I have not had to retorque anything. :)

Looking at the photos in this thread, my tower did end up set back further to the stern than I expected, but I did want to make sure I could fold it down without interference from the windshield.

The racks fit great and do a wonderful job of holding my wakeboards.

My only warning is to not wrap the pipes in masking tape until you are ready to finish the install. Because of work, I had to do mine over the course of several evenings and the tape got wet from rain showers and humidity. This caused the tape to wad up inside the tube preventing me from easily moving the tubes. By the time I got the tubes out I was so mad I thought about hammering the whole thing into beer cans :redface: Gouged too deep to polish out but nothing some kind of padding wont cover.

halojeff

Cadet

Glob liquid nail on the backs of the mounting disks, then put the disks on only enough to set the hull shape, wait 24 hours then tighten downDSC01582.jpg

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

Halo the paint job on your boat looks awesome! Do you have any other pics to share?

bricegraham

Cadet

Hey, i just got the aerial airborne tower with racks, speakers and mirror, install took about 5 hours, with another4 hours to install wiring, and hook up speakers and amp, we love the way this changed the appearance of out 2008 Tahoe Q6. We camp on Cherokee Lake in Tennessee, and everybody loves the tower.Boat 3.jpg

Re: wakeboard tower

All I can say is if your tower is shaking you're stuck with it. Just make sure all your hardware is always tight.

...I personally are not a fan of the construction of these towers as the joints are all slip joints held together with 1/4" set screws. They are flimsy. However, you will get what you pay for. There are other designs made offshore that are better...

Four bolts holding the top tube may suit your needs given the price you are willing to pay but they are clearly not as solid as other designs out there. Slip top tubes allow for a universal fit but also may not have a "factory look" that you may or may not find important.

The slip fit top towers also may have very square corners up top (in order to get the most width adjustment to accommodate many different width boats. This may or may not be be the look you want for your boat.

There are plenty of towers out there that allow you to get into a tower for real cheap. In most cases you end up with a tower that looks clearly "aftermarket" and may end up with a design that is not as solid as you would have hoped for and with components of lesser quality.

I would consider the finish of the tower as well. Most of the cheaper priced towers out there are "polished aluminum". This means that there is no coating to protect the aluminum from the harsh marine/lake environments that we take our boats out in. Polished aluminum will quickly oxidize and get hazy and dull looking and you will have to manually polish routinely to keep them looking good. Anodized towers solve this problem and will look great for the life of the tower with proper care.

dvtran

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boatwithtower.jpg

My tower after installation this past weekend. didnt quite center it properly but only noticeable if staring at it head on. Hopefully it is strong enough.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Four bolts holding the top tube may suit your needs given the price you are willing to pay but they are clearly not as solid as other designs out there. Slip top tubes allow for a universal fit but also may not have a "factory look" that you may or may not find important.

The slip fit top towers also may have very square corners up top (in order to get the most width adjustment to accommodate many different width boats. This may or may not be be the look you want for your boat.

There are plenty of towers out there that allow you to get into a tower for real cheap. In most cases you end up with a tower that looks clearly "aftermarket" and may end up with a design that is not as solid as you would have hoped for and with components of lesser quality.

I would consider the finish of the tower as well. Most of the cheaper priced towers out there are "polished aluminum". This means that there is no coating to protect the aluminum from the harsh marine/lake environments that we take our boats out in. Polished aluminum will quickly oxidize and get hazy and dull looking and you will have to manually polish routinely to keep them looking good. Anodized towers solve this problem and will look great for the life of the tower with proper care.

I love these posts. Some person logs in, tells us all that is wrong with the $1500 dollar towers, makes 2-3 posts, never logs in by that name again. Seems to me that have something to sell? Here is the deal. We do not all have $50K+ wakeboard boats. We have a need for an economical tower. Make one in the USA and sell it to us for less than $2000 and we will buy it. When we can afford a nicer boat and a Samson tower, we will upgrade. In the meantime, we will go with the currently available economical towers until we can find an alternative.

I love these posts. Some person logs in, tells us all that is wrong with the $1500 dollar towers, makes 2-3 posts, never logs in by that name again. Seems to me that have something to sell? Here is the deal. We do not all have $50K+ wakeboard boats. We have a need for an economical tower. Make one in the USA and sell it to us for less than $2000 and we will buy it. When we can afford a nicer boat and a Samson tower, we will upgrade. In the meantime, we will go with the currently available economical towers until we can find an alternative.

Nothing really like that sickwilly. I would think that at least some of the things that I mentioned would be of interest to some people.

I'm in the same boat as you and others (pun intended). I have been down that economical tower road (still there as a matter of fact) before myself and buying what I could afford at the time. My current boat, a 1994 Hydrodyne, had a cheaper priced tower on it (no name intentionally given) that just wore out and got wobbly over time - worked great for many years. I had one just like it on another previous boat that held up just fine. I did recently replace the wobbly tower and everything I mention factored into my replacement decision - factory look (as much as you can get from aftermarket towers), design and construction materials, ease of maintenance, and price.

My point is that there are options out there, and most manufactures have at least a few, within any given price point. So seek them out, research them so you feel comfortable with your purchasing decision, and find out what works best for you and your budget - whatever brand you buy. The most important thing is to just get out on the water, put a ton of hours on your boat, and enjoy your purchase.

Lyrikz

Cadet

Why did you back the legs with wood instead of metal? Is there any reason for that???

Status
Not open for further replies.