DIY wakeboard tower

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking to build my own wakeboard tower. does anyone have any tips or advice that would make this process go smoother?

bhanson

Cadet
Re: DIY wakeboard tower

Not to be a smarta**, but a tower is $498 at www.diywake.com incl shipping, mounting h/w, etc. That is pretty darn cheap esp factoring in the peace-of-mind and safety aspects.

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah i was looking into that, im thinking of doing that

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

ours is a diy...
boatside-back.jpg

I think we have less than $250 in it - we had to spend about $50 to have some SS welding done on the mounting plates.

To keep it simple - we built the top (h-bar as we called it) with slightly larger tubing than the 4 main verticals. That way once all 4 poles were built and bent we assembled it on the boat by slipping the poles into the h-bar and tack welding it when we got it positioned the way we wanted it.
Took it off - finished the welding. Primed and painted.

Going on our 3rd year of use - couldn't have spent a better $250.

This is before the satin blue paint, Bazooka speakers (top pic) and getting all the wiring ran inside the tubing.

boatinside.jpg

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here it mine - It is from Monstertower.com. You have to assemble it yourself but it fits almost any boat. It is very quiet and stable. Where it attaches to the boat it has a heim joint. These are designed to prevent the fiberglass and gelcoat from cracking. It is the best design by far and all the big companies use them.

variouspics42506004.jpg

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, those towers both look great!

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I made this tower and the tower on my 1st boat. I have a good friend was is a fabricator and he had the tubing bender. I did save quite a bit of $$ butit is alot of work. If I had to do all over again I would just buy a Monster Tower.

Attachments

• at dock (Small).jpg
    at dock (Small).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 4

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Starting to dig up some old dirt here...
Liquid Force, can you provide and SS of the joints on the boat?
Your tower is really simple, and basically exactly how I would need to build mine.
I have all of the equipment (Pipe Bender, Welder, and paint), just confused on the mounting to the boat.

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

as you may know, some of these guys are "product placemement" like a heineken bottle or pepsi in austin powers but i have a diy.wake.com. good product for the $ not as pretty but just as effective. ALWAYS DRILL FIBERGLASS IN REVERSE ANS SLOWLY AS TO NOT CRACK THE FIBERGLASS! really, how much time could you save? you need some steel backing for your anchors. fish on! pete. wcsparky05@yahoo.com