Shorelander Profile 2000 winch repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordy1380

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I bought a new strap to put on my winch today and I began to work on it to find out that there is a bolt that is rusted into the shaft in the center of the winch. I tried to take the bolt in the center of the winch cylinder (the bolt the strap is on) and there wasn't enough clearance to get it out. Can I order just the center cylinder that holds the strap? I think that since the bolt is rusted in there that I'm going to have to cut the bolt on either side of the winch and just put in a new part. Anyone got any other ideas?? Anyone got the part number that I could order? IMG_20130713_201956_797.jpgIMG_20130713_202006_681.jpgIMG_20130713_202006_6811.jpg

jordy1380

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Shorelander Profile 2000 winch repair

I found the parts list that I need, but can I buy single parts online or anywhere??

Midw est Industries 3110348 WINCH REEL W/STRAP DL1800/1802 1
Midw est Industries 204360 SPACER WASHER DL1602 1
Midw est Industries 204808 REEL SPACER DL1700 1
Midw est Industries 205126 HH 3/8-16 X 5 CS GR5 1
Midw est Industries 205270 LOCKNUT 3/8-16 JAM STYLE FOR WINCH 1
Midw est Industries 205116 E-RING DL 1602/1700/2500 1

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Shorelander Profile 2000 winch repair

I've got that same winch...generally only on more expensive trailers when new. Shorelandr should be able to help you out without a problem if you can't fine the part elsewhere. Your winch looks old and rusty or exposed to salt yet the 2000 is still used today so parts should be very available.

jordy1380

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've tried to work on this and get that center bolt out but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out? I don't really want to cut it off but that might be my only option. I've used liquid wrench, impact drivers, a torch...can't seem to get it loose. I need to get the center bolt out so that I can change the strap on the winch. If there any other way to change the strap that would be helpful also...do they make straps that you don't have to take any of the bolts out? There's a bolt that goes through the loop in the strap but I can't get that bolt out without taking out the main winch cylinder.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It's thru-bolted with a 3/8" bolt.....PB Blaster and bigger wrench should solve the problem ;)

Last edited:

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
all the winches/straps I know use that bolt through the end of the loop. I would also use PB blaster and spray it liberally everywhere this stubborn bolts goes through. Let it sit for quite some time and if you can heat up the area after it was soaked with a hair dryer or heat gun. That usually convinces the rust to give up.

Pull the old strap completely out and spray over the drum center and between the drum side and the outer "housing".

Last edited:

sebjeb

Recruit
I have the same trailer. I am able to remove the bolt holding the strap mechanism. by cannot get the housing out to replace strap, Any suggestions?

jordy1380

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I haven't gotten the thing loose yet but I might just cut the bolt with a sawzall and drill out the bolt...not many options left lol.

jordy1380

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, I'm going to bring this to to the top as I started working on it again. The strap, although not in good shape, has held up to the use that I've put it through since last year. I've tried essentially everything to get that bolt lose in the middle of the winch assembly (pb blaster, wd 40, heat gun, impact driver, etc.) so I need an alternate option. Would you guys recommend cutting the bolt that holds the strap assembly and using a smaller bolt with extra nuts and fender washers? I know that it wouldn't be as strong as the original and may bend more than the original but I think that if I get one that is longer and use extra nuts with fender washers that I should be ok. I'm thinking I'm just going to try to rig something since that would be better than having the strap break on me. If anyone has any suggestions before I try this, let me know! Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Try this. Pull all of the strap out and cut the end loop open. Unroll the new strap and feed the loop under the crosswise strap bolt, pull the loop over the top of the bolt and back on itself. Cut a dowel the width of the strap and slide it into the loop. Pull the strap until the doweled loop is against the crossbolt and crank the strap onto the drum. The strap will not come off the drum.

R&M

Recruit
Did someone possibly put a left hand threaded bolt in it? It's hard to believe that all the ways you have tried haven't worked out. Here is the company that manufactures these winches http://www.dutton-lainson.com/index.php. I found this link on a jetboaters web site. They may have a trick to share with you. The prices aren't too bad.

Overheadfishing

Recruit
Does anyone know where I can order a bolt, and maybe a new winch shorlander profile 2000

Attachments

• photo323304.jpg
    photo323304.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo323305.jpg
    photo323305.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.