Front Wheel Drive Tow Vehicle

Mark R Groves

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Front Wheel Drive Tow Vehicle

I towed my 17' for a couple of years with a Chevy Venture. Overall it did a fairly impressive job. It had no shortage of power and handeled well with the boat. The only time I ran into touble was when the owner of a resort I was staying at insisted loading the boat back on the trailer from his sand beach wouldn't be a problem. Needless to say the tires dug in etc. So, I unloaded the boat and decided to use a gravel launch about a mile away. While the Venture did a decent towing job, the following year (being highly influenced by the sand incident)I purchased a Grand Cherokee 4x4. Nonetheless, used with some common sense (something I was lacking when I tried to load in the sand) a front wheel drive vehicle can be an acceptable tow vehicle as long a you are using reasonably well kept launches.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I used to tow with a few vehicles, a 69 Country Squire (390 Interceptor) was my favorite, it had air conditioning, lol<br /><br />my 76 E 150 Van was purpose modified to withstand the rigors of the SeaCraft, trans cooler, super heavy duty sway bars, rear helper spring, stainless fan, gas shocks, heavy duty pads and shoes - the van was a Tow Beast, cornered flat, went straight down the road, and stopped that behemoth bad brakes on the trailer boat with no problem - of course, at 6500 pounds with an empty gas tank, Big Green was a juggernaut all by itself - but she handled like a slot car, except for no AC far and away my fav vehicle<br /><br />(needless to say, the tow truck would tow any boat on this board with ease, but it was like driving a tank - fun, but after a while the roar of the engine wore you down)<br /><br />but now, lemme tell ya something ...<br /><br />I had a Vega GT, 2.3L four banger, four speed, towed an 18 foot Glaspar with a 25 Johnson for a few years - no problem, no sweat, I should mention that used to love tinkering with cars, always tuned, aligned, good brakes, etc etc, and did have gas shocks and front and rear sway bars, and those manual brakes had to stop that rig fast a few times, no problem ... yes, it was too small for the job, but it never felt too small for the job, pulled the boat getting 25 MPG at 55 - 60<br /><br />(of course, the time I towed my buddys 67 Impala convertible with a ton of bondo on it **** near killed the lil guy, lol, regretted selling the Squire for that one, but once it got rolling, was ok)<br /><br />am I insane? yeah ... I am ... :eek: <br /><br />but I know that even tho you shouldnt bring a knife to a gunfight, if all you have is the knife, use it carefully and youll carve a nice bat to bash the other guys brains in when he aint lookin, lol<br /><br />same thing with these short pulls to local lakes, be careful, go slow, and let the guy thats pulling two clydesdales cross country buy the one ton dually with fifth wheel attachment!<br /><br /> :D :rolleyes: :D

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to pull my 18' Mark Twain with an i/o (strait 6) all the time. I even pulled the boat out of the ramp with three adults still on the boat. And all this with a 1991 Aerostar 3.0. True, this is a rear wheel drive vehicle. But i've seen many other front wheel drive mini vans pulling out some big rigs out of the water. The important thing is to use your low gears on the ramp and be concious of what you are towing along the WHOLE time you are towing.<br /><br />Now I use an E-350 (15 pass.) van and can't even tell my boat is there most of the time, but the reason for the van was not the boat. Simply that I have a family of 8. So I needed the extra space. ;)

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Towing any thing increases everything. Do you think you would have problems towing a trailer if you were the only car onthe road? I bet that you could tow a million miles with a car that was towing 3000 pounds over what it is rated and not have a problem if there was no one on the road and the roads were smooth. Now come on.. can you really expect this to happen.. perfect conditions all the time? I am a very defencive driver I give tons of room in from of me . humm but that guy saw all my room and he wants it. That kid playing just over the hill was not there the last time I went this way. I have never seen a deer this time of the day. Wow I cant believe the roads are this slick after the first rain in 3 weeks. <br /><br />I read another post that said semimatallic brakes "never" fade .. this is a very very false statement. They are much better than standard brakes but they will go away.<br /><br />All this being said, I must admit that I have towed stuff way over towing capacitys too. If I have to do it, I try to cut the risk. Dont try it at 5:00pm on friday. Take routes that you can drive at a speed that is as safe as possible. <br /><br />Now if you are gonna tow something every couple of weeks you are entitled to join the SUV club or drive a truck ,, or that 1979 chevy station wagon. <br /><br />Front wheel drive on a boat ramp.. front tires stay dry ???? yea right there is water 50 feet from the boat ramps I use all day. Any one seen a picture of a Semi Jackknifed, thats a good idea of what can happen to FWD trying to brake a trailer. Hey I have been there done that towed a 15 ft boat with a 65 hp Merc on the back with a VW Scirocco. Would I do it again ?? No way.

Hasbeen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea Maximerc:<br /><br />Finally someone stood up and told it like it is! Why is it that people want to get by with the least posable tow vwhicle and put other peoples lives in danger?? Man I see it all the time!! Lets use our heads for something other than a hat rack!! Buy bigger than you need if anything!! If you get in a wreck and it is your fault because you were towing over your tow limit you better beieive some one is going to own you! Pay now or pay later!!<br /><br />Hasbeen<br /><br />Hasbeen

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Hasbeen.<br /><br />Not only do we have an expensive asset in tow we also are surrounded by people who do stupid things. Some other considerations not yet mentioned for when you finally get your tow vehicle.<br /><br />Buy your tow vehicle for the worst case scenario and remember.<br /><br />a) The lighter the tow car (total mass) the more it will tend to be affected by the boat. i.e. the tail wagging the dog scenario.<br />b) No one has mentioned the max permissable weight on the ball hitch. Excessive weight on the ball hitch places excessive loading on the rear suspension and lifts the front of the vehicle. This not only will reduce traction on a FWD but all vehicles when when under speed will experience an excess of air passing under the front of the vehicle, possibly making the front lighter than perhaps it should be.<br />c) Pack the boat correctly to give the correct loading on the ball hitch.<br />d) Ensure that the height of the ball hitch allows for the boat (loaded) to be level with the road surface or slightly nose down. With a nose height up, moving air gets underneath and destabilises when moving at speed.<br />e) It is my opinion that when determining the towing characteristics for vehicles that these are more based on "pulling power" as this is the most evident factor when you first hitch up. As mentioned above there are a variety of other issues.<br />- Clearance, don't want water rushing into the vehicle when on those awkward ramps.<br />- All round visibility<br />- The state of the launching ramps you will be visiting<br />- For me power is important, it stops me from becoming frustrated as I will be able to commute at normal speeds and not hold up other travellers. This make for a a more comfortable journey.<br />- Don't forget all those funny pictures and stories we read here, some are due to inadequate tow vehicles getting into trouble on the ramp.<br /><br />These are my personal experiences.<br />Cheers<br />Andrew

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

Just Think of This conversation.....<br /><br />I Hit your Kid and killed him. I couldnt stop because I was towing over my limit. Sorry For your Loss

Hasbeen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Andrew, It just drives me nuts reading all these (Nice) people telling us what they tow with and it does just fine! Let them get into a bind and I guarantee the next vehicle they buy will be bigger all around! I remember doing those same things when I was younger, I guess we all have to live and learn! Fortunatly I never killed anyone!<br /><br />I had a 50 chevey PU that I put a 350 in! I did change the brakes, but they were drum! I put a small overhead camper on it and it would stop ok that way, but then I put a 15" glass Seaswirl tri- hull boat behind it too and it would stop real fast for about 5 seconds then the brakes would fade and I had none!<br /><br />Been there done that!!<br /><br />Hasbeen

mbrueck

Cadet

If you tow like most recreational boaters/fisherman, probably less than 5% of your miles will be towing a trailer. If that's the case, go with the vehicle rated closest, but not over your intended towing weight (don't forget when towing you also include passengers and gear in your car/truck to the tow weight). While you're safer towing a jon boat with an F350, you're less likely to get in an accident the other 95% of the time if you're using a sedan. I tow my boat (700 lbs boat, trailer and gear)with a Dodge Intrepid (1500 lb capacity). I'm building a boat that will have a total towing weight of about 2000 lbs, and I'll tow that with our minivan (3500 lb capacity). This keeps me under, even when loaded with people and gear. Also, in my experience, front wheel drive is better than rear wheel drive (w/o limited slip) on boat ramps. We have enough trial lawyers in this country to keep vehicle manufacturers honest with their towing capacity.<br /><br />Like was said earlier about telling a kid's parents you just killed their kid. How about when you're driving the other 95% of the time and a kid pulls in front of you. I'd rather avoid him with my car and yell at the parents for letting their kid ride in the street, than watch as EMS peels him off the grille of my truck.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Okay, I have a '94 F-150 with 5.0 ltr and a '95 Chevy Surburban with a 5.7 ltr. I have not problems towing anything. Purchased them both used, and have towing capacities of at least 7500 lbs. Both are 2WD, and rarley do I even get the back tires wet at the ramp. If you are backing you vehicle into the water, then your trailer needs a longer tounge. <br /><br />My rig weighs a little over 2000# (boat, trailer, gas and gear). I have an 18' steel flatbed trailer that I pull cars and other stuff on that weighs about 3500 to 4000#'s empty. I can pull the flatbed better at higher speeds than I can my boat de to wind resistance. The extra size (or mass) in a boat adds thoreticala pounds because you have to pull that mass through the air. So a 2500# rig could pull like it was 4000# depending on how much ait ir catches.<br /><br />I like to pull with RWD, solid (heavy) frame and a V8 engine so that I am well within my tow capacity, have enough power, and enough weigh in the tow vehicle to stop my load. You do not have to spend $20,000 to by a new vehicle for towing, a used on a few years old will be just fine, and you will get more for your money. Just stay wise when towing.<br /><br />Knightgang

Ficht Guy

Seaman

Hey guys,<br /><br />This topic is one I run across almost daily. I am a car salesman for a dealership here in the midwest. It amazes me how many people will skimp on their tow vehicle just to have nicer amenities. In reality...that TrailBlazer LTZ does not cost that much less than a Tahoe LS..Yes it does not have the leather and toys, but what good is that vehicle when you bust something because you were towing too much with it. "Hey, my transmission went out towing my 23ft cruiser..but I've got LEATHER!!!! Come on folks..if you can afford to spend $30-$40K on a trailer/boat, what's another $2-$3K for the right tow vehicle. My mentality on this is if you can afford the toy, you should be able to afford the vehicle to tow your toy(s). Now some of this is not necessarily the consumers fault either...the manufacturer puts on tow ratings on MOST of their vehicles that are too HIGH. I was glad to see that GM put a 4,000lbs towing capacity on their new Colorado/Canyon pickups. Their reasoning was because if people wanted to tow more with these mid-sized vehicles they would opt for the bigger truck. Not only does putting 4,000lbs plus put a big strain on a compact/FWD/smaller vehicle, your gas mileage will be sh*t cause that vehcile has to work hard to get you, your family, and your toys around. Plain and simple...if you need to have all the luxuries and can't afford the luxuries in a bigger vehicle, but a used full-size truck/suv and use that for towing and buy your smaller vehicle with all the stuff you want on it. You can always find a use for a 3rd vehicle..especially a truck. <br /><br />Have a great day folks!! :)