degreasing old hubs and bearings

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what can I use to soak the hubs and bearings in to remove all the grease? bought new hub s and bearings and want to use the old ones for spares. thought of using gasoline in a pail and let them soak. is there any liquid I can buy?

harringtondav

Commander
Plain old mineral spirits paint thinner is my go-to grease and oil solvent. Cheap, and one of the safest solvents.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Diesel is also good for soaking your good varnishing brushes in ..

ahicks

Captain
I've been keeping a quart of mineral sprits and a quart of acetone in my shop for many years. They are my go-to cleaners.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Never having used diesel, I'm curious what the advantages are over mineral spirits. I don't mind having an extra can of solvent sitting around, but only if it's better than mineral spirits (which I have already).

alldodge

Staff member
I have kept my bare hands in diesel all day long and without any effects. It does contain benzene so should not really do it no more then mineral spirits (MS). Diesel is just as good (IMO) as MS in cleaning. It also leaves a film which will protect parts from rusting because its oil. The good with MS over diesel is it will evaporate leaving the part clean.

Diesel cost 3 a gallon, and MS cost 12 a gallon

I keep a 5 gal bucket with a lid all the time with about a gal and couple brushes. Seem to need to clean something greasy off and on

dwco5051

Commander
Diesel for me unless I haven't filled my containers. Mineral spirits if I am cleaning something in the gun room and don't want my wife yelling downstairs about the odor. Gasoline now and then in the shop if I am out of diesel. Plus I have off-road diesel at about $2.40/gal so it is the cheapest one to use and doesn't evaporate if soaking something overnight.

harringtondav

Commander
I've never tried diesel for cleaning. I rarely handle it - no diesel engines. Last summer I was the gofer for my neph. contractor, and made several diesel runs to fill up 5 gal jugs. I used MS to clean the smell off my hands.:)

harringtondav

Commander
I've been keeping a quart of mineral sprits and a quart of acetone in my shop for many years. They are my go-to cleaners.

Me too, except I make a lot of messes, so I buy gallons of each. Plus Xylol and Methanol. I wear my NIOSH breather with everything except MS. Rubber gloves with all.

When young, I was a railroad mechanic. I was up to my elbows in Turco solvent. Chlorinated stuff. I haven't seen the consequences of that.....yet.

The Force power

Commander
I've never tried diesel for cleaning. I rarely handle it - no diesel engines. Last summer I was the gofer for my neph. contractor, and made several diesel runs to fill up 5 gal jugs. I used MS to clean the smell off my hands.:)

I worked on Diesel-engines for a good 15 years, keep your hands in long enough and you can't get than smell out of your skin.

The problem with washing/cleaning your hands with "harsh" solvents is that you remove the natural oils out of your skin and as years go by your body does not produce as much/none.
Leaving your hands/skin prone to "attracting" dirt/grease and more & more potent cleaning solution is needed to get your hands clean.(downward spiral effect)

lets keep the gloves on

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Worst thing you can do to a bearing is to completely remove all trace of lubricates from them. Oxidation of the surfaces begin immediately upon the removal of oils protege film. lacquer and minerals sprites and the worst.

Diesel is recommend because of its cleaning and lubricating properties

The Force power

Commander
Worst thing you can do to a bearing is to completely remove all trace of lubricates from them. Oxidation of the surfaces begin immediately upon the removal of oils protege film. lacquer and minerals sprites and the worst.

Diesel is recommend because of its cleaning and lubricating properties

Agree! Even with the Varsol-basin at work, we always dump in a clean/fresh barrel one quart of hydraulic oil in to keep it from completely removing all lubricants (also for skin protection, for the stubborn mechanics) like me. lol