Ramps and weights

rcosta

Cadet
HI, I have towed campers before but not boats and can use some advice. I am in the market for a small boat I will be towing with a 2016 Honda Odyssey (3,500 lb capacity). Thinking about ramps (and at that point having nobody else in the van to add weight), can I go right up to the capacity or should I leave some room and go underweight. Also I know I need to add the trailer weight and gas to the total weight of the boat but are there other considerations?

Thank you.

Rich

briangcc

Commander
By no means am I an expert BUT I will say that towing at the max rating of your mini-van will probably not be an enjoyable experience IF you are going up a number of hills. In that circumstance you WILL definitely notice the weight behind you AND you may find yourself not able to keep speed.

One other item to consider....your min-van is the FWD version correct? If so, adding tongue weight (ie heavier boat/trailer) lifts weight OFF the front end of your vehicle. During normal driving conditions this might still be OK but when you get to a steep ramp you may find yourself in a condition where you can launch the boat but are unable to retrieve it as your front wheels are simply spinning due to lack of grip.

In regards to weights....most manufacturers post a dry weight. Depending on the manufacturer this may or may not include the weight of the engine, batteries, trailer (yes this counts!), anchors, safety gear, ropes, toys, etc. All that stuff adds up and counts.

SO....my advice, look for an aluminum boat to keep your weight in check and have a better towing experience.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've towed a few different boats with my old '08 Escape FWD 3.0L - it had the same tow rating as you have and was FWD too. I would not tow above 2.5k lbs that includes, boat, trailer, gas, boat and car cargo, people. Realistically you should be looking at an aluminum boat with a light trailer.

You might be best to go >= 16 ft for weight reasons. You really should get a proper tow SUV/truck.

I argued here for the 3500 lbs FWD being enough and honestly realize how stupid I was. I killed my Escape by towing since it had no factory tranny cooler which in the end nearly broke the tranny, I sold it before it fully went but it had lots of signs and clunks.

I'd say for most fishing boats (less than 21ft) I'd get a Ford Explorer or something in that class. Gives you the room for the family (assuming why you have a van) and then the tow rating needed. I now tow 3700 lbs with my Explorer and it pulls it amazingly.

If you are dead set on trailering a boat with the van please for everyone's safety get trailer brakes and a light boat/trailer combo.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I would be more concerned with how it handles an evasive maneuver and reacts under hard braking situations, than how it performs on the ramp.

Granted, if you have a bad ramp, it could be an issue.

I have towed many times with a 2016 Dodge Caravan, 3600# capacity, transmission cooler, and 290 hp.
Usually pull 1700#, occasionally 2300#, no problem.
Pulled 3300# one time because my buddy's truck broke, and we needed to get home from North Dakota.
It worked a bit on the hills, but I did not use the cruise, let her slow down up the hills rather than trying to maintain 55 or 65 mph.

I would not try to launch or load a 3000# boat with a front wheel drive vehicle.

ALL 3 OF THESE TRAILERS HAVE BRAKES.
Wouldn't think of it without brakes.

The first time going down a hill, or in town when someone enters the crosswalk will make you understand why.

Some manufacturers give a different tow capacity depending on how much weight you have in the vehicle.
And then there is the combined gross vehicle rating, which includes the tow vehicle, all its passengers and cargo, and the trailer.

READ pages 399-404 of your owners manual.

Also note on page 403, section on trailer brakes.

Trailer brakes
Recommended for any trailer with a total weight of 1,000 lbs or more

But disregard the info on electric brakes.
Electrics are fine on boat trailers, they will not short out.

ahicks

Captain
The more towing miles I planned on, the less weight I would want to be pulling. Short hop to the local boat landing (say less than 20 miles) on mostly level ground I don't mind pushing the capacity hard. Cross country jaunts, I wouldn't want to be towing that much.

We have a deck boat that's likely 3000 lbs or so, and our '17 Pilot 2wd does a fine job with that. Also have a 2000lb fishing boat (alum) that pulls nicely behind our CRV!

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Where do you live and boat ? I think thats a big part of this equation too IMO.

I tow my boat (4400lbs with trailer weighed on scales) with a ford Bronco that is rated for like 7k pounds.

if I lived and boated in Kansas it would be no problem at all, heck probably wouldn't even need trailer brakes.

I live in Utah and boat many places where there are 8% grades or higher in which case those stretches kill my Bronco , damn near crawling up those steep inclines.

My point is , my tow vehicle may be rated to pull much more , but it is just not realistic. If I tried to pull a 7k pound load on some of these mountain passes, that would be downright unsafe, scary and potentially deadly.