Class IV drawbar with 3” drop?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I just replaced my 15 year old F150 with a new model, and I’m trying to find a drawbar. I hve an adjustable drawbar and my trailer leveled out when it was set at a 3” drop. Unfortunately, it seems as though pretty much every stock drop bar for a 2 inch receiver hitch is for either a 2 inch or 4 inch drop. The adjustable drop bar I have is only rated up to 5000 pounds, and I would really like to get up to the class IV weight limit. Also, the adjustable draw bar rattles like heck and a very annoying.

Does anyone know of a 3 inch drop bar that’s available for a 2 inch receiver hitch? If not, am I better off using the 2 inch drawbar or a 4 inch drawbar? I’ve looked at the usual online retailers for this sort of stuff, including iBoats, and I have not been able to find one.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I went through the same thing this Spring. Went from a Tahoe to a F-150 super crew.

Measured and bought a 4” drop. Ended up using a 2” drop I already had to keep from bottoming out the tongue jack at the bottom of the drive.

Never had that problem before. Guessing it had something to do with the increased wheel base

I have never seen or heard of an “odd” draw bar drop.

High is better than low..

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
High is better than low..

That's a good point... also, I measured the boat and the truck when they were empty. I imagine a few extra pounds might affect it also.

Mine is a SuperCrew cab also.

Thanks, I'll go with the 2" drop.

briangcc

Commander
Not sure on your factory hitch but do you have (2) holes where you could use a J-pin instead of the standard pin?

Sure...e....trailer blocked. Go to their site and look for a J-pin.

I installed a Class IV hitch on my Ram and it rattles as well so I'm looking at one of these to correct it. The aftermarket hitch is setup for a J-Pin.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not sure on your factory hitch but do you have (2) holes where you could use a J-pin instead of the standard pin?

Nope, just the typical single hole....

I've never had an issue with the draw bar making noise unless the surge brakes needed bleed (boat) or the brake controller (horse) wasn't adjust properly. Then again, I'm over #400 of tongue weight on both trailers.

briangcc

Commander
Mine rattles when not loaded. Not too bad when a trailer is hooked up but its louder than what I'm used to when towing with a Toyota so I'll be investing in a J-pin.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are a lot of Class IV adjustable drawbar hitches out there, look at E Trail.., they come with 2" or 2 5/16" balls and can be adjusted up or down. to get the right fit. Do a search for an adjustable class IV drawbar mount