How to use trailer brakes in reverse?

MC3387

Cadet
I want to be able to use my my trailer brakes in reverse (or neutral?) for backing down a boat ramp.
I’m still searching for a boat to purchase but I’ve been seeing videos of people having their tow vehicle pulled into the water.
The boat/trailer combo I will purchase will be approximately the same weight as my tow vehicle.
I just installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller.
But I just realized that boat trailers can come with different types of brakes, and that the brakes don’t work in reverse with a certain type.
Can someone give me a quick 101 on the different types of trailer brakes I would encounter with a approx. 4,500 lb. boat and what I need in order to have trailer brakes while baking down a boat ramp?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Surge Brakes, especially the Disk variety can activate whenever the Tow vehicle is pushing the trailer, until the trailer is going downhill, as on a Launch Ramp, then they are totally useless. Electric Brakes can provide stopping power while reversing down a Ramp.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with surge brakes, you have two types of brakes

drums and disc

drums are free-backing, as they do not have any significant braking when backing by nature of the shoes rocking in reverse
disc are generally locked out with a backing solenoid or a pin so you can back up the boat. if there is a backing solenoid, it will be energized by the blue wire when you are in reverse (and there will be a 5-pin harness connector)

as Jimmbo stated, electric actuated brakes (both magnetic shoe and electric over hydraulic) as well as air brakes can be used when backing.

95% of the trailers you will encounter will have surge brakes. about 70% of those will be drum, about 30% will be disc. and on a used trailer, expect the system wont be working at all as the PO didnt do maintenance. if they are working, consider yourself lucky.

I have yet to find a need for brakes on a trailer boat when backing down a ramp with one exception and that was a 105 foot boat backing down the 1/3 mile ramp at lake Powell, however that was a specialty trailer with 8 axles and air brakes and there were 3 diesels using the jakes when backing it in.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You don't need trailer brakes when backing down a ramp. Nobody has that. The issue of being pulled backward is more about tow vehicle weight and traction. If you have doubts I would select a more capable tow vehicle.

Alumarine

Captain
In virtually all cases it's human error that allows the vehicle to go in the water not a lack of trailer brakes in reverse.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
The most important brakes to have on the boat ramp are working parking brakes on the tow vehicle. The trailer brakes aren’t that important as you back down the ramp as you’re just not going that fast. In addition, the boat isn’t so heavy that it’s going to be a handful as you back down.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
People that back their entire rig into the water didn't follow trailer boating 101.

Parking brake, transmission in Park, wheel chocks. You need them all.