Trailer Bouncing When Breaking

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
With the boat in the water I went to get gas for the truck and just towed the trailer. When I braked, the trailer started bouncing violently on the hitch. I went to pick the boat up and had the wifey drive to 20 mph then brake while I watched. The wheels were not locking up, hopping, or anything appearing wrong. What will cause this? I have read many different thoughts from googling but wanted to see what you guys think since you guys know what your talking about. When we picked up the boat there was no problem. Suspension to stiff with no boat or air in brake lines?

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
There is a pin that goes in the trailer to disconnect the breaks if the electronic disconnect fails but is there another way to do it. I guess i could duct tape it in there if nothing else.

alldodge

Staff member
Maybe just a light trailer, check the shock inside the actuator, its probably bad

tpenfield

Staff member
Braking (not breaking) . . . the situation is known as wheel hop. A light load and brakes applied causes the wheels to hop off the ground.

Cars can also do that when braking heavily causing a nose-dive. The rear wheels may tend to hop off the ground, particularly with the older cars & leaf springs.