Towing a 2008 Sea Ray 280 with Ford F150 Harley Davidson

ralphVaughn

Recruit
I am planning to purchase a 2008 Sea Ray 280 that weighs 8500 lbs dry. I would like to use my 2012 Ford F150 Harley Davidson 6.2 liter 434 foot pound torque to wheels and 6 speed transmission as the towing vehicle. Truck specs says that it can tow 11,300 pounds. Any suggestions as to whether this would be an adequate towing vehicle?

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Your truck should tow it no problem. You may want to consider a WDH and air bags but your truck is more than adequate.

ralphVaughn

Recruit
What is a WDH and where would i purchase? Do you know approximate price? Are you referring to the air bags inside the truck or is there some other application?

thanks for the information.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Weight Distributing Hitch.

if the boat is that heavy, it most likely has a WDH, and you need the WDH draw-bar.

FYI - most class 3 hitches on trucks are only rated for 6000# max.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iBoats! :welcome:

With a dry weight of 8500# for just the boat, that only leaves you 2800# for fuel, water, supplies, and, most importantly, the trailer. You are going to be close to that limit.

tpenfield

Staff member
You will be right up near or at the maximum rating as stated, but since it is a Ford F-150 we will allow it. :D

Do check out the hitch type as stated.

Bondo

Staff member
I am planning to purchase a 2008 Sea Ray 280 that weighs 8500 lbs dry. I would like to use my 2012 Ford F150 Harley Davidson 6.2 liter 434 foot pound torque to wheels and 6 speed transmission as the towing vehicle. Truck specs says that it can tow 11,300 pounds. Any suggestions as to whether this would be an adequate towing vehicle?

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... I'd want a F250 myself, for the safety margin,.....

It won't take much of a mistake to go for a white-knuckle ride with that load on a 1/2 ton truck,......

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Another consideration is that with the Sea Ray 280’s 9’ 6” beam, you’ll need a wide load permit to legally tow in most states. I agree with Bondo. A 3/4 ton truck is a better choice towing that boat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Your truck is more than capable of towing that load if properly equipped.

To tow that load you need a super cab truck, 3.5L Ecoboost or V8 engine, max. tow package, heavy duty payload package and the 3:73 rear option.

harringtondav

Commander
A weight distributing hitch is a good idea. It provides sway control and will take down load off your class III truck hitch, but it will add more load to your truck's front axle and the trailer axles. So be sure your trailer tires are rated for this extra load.

Also consider pedal up shifting when accelerating. Accelerate hard enough to delay the auto shift, pedal up to cause the shift, and repeat until you're cruising. This reduces the energy your tranny clutches absorb and helps keep it cooler.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Lot of boat for a 1/2 ton. I know because for awhile I was thinking of stepping up to a 280 & it's considerably more boat than my 250 which can be towed with a 1/2 ton but is really much more comfortable behind a 3/4 ton.

Towing specs IMHO are more marketing than engineering based. My 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD was rated to tow 9600 lbs. It's twice the truck any 1/2 ton could hope to be, just compare the axles, springs & frame on that HD to any 1/2 ton.

If you want to go that big time for a new truck IMHO.

splashday-1.jpg