Tires

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If I were starting from scratch I would go with a heavier trailer.
Going up a size buys you little if anything. Trailer and tires ratings have considerable safety factors built into the ratings.

My trailer is just about at its load rating and I have thousands of miles of care free trailering. A good set of tires will go a long ways towards meeting your goal

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well, that's what I would have thought....I guess, however, if you run up over a curb even slowly, you putting a lot of weight on one tire. I was at 70 psi as that's all the air I can get around here,,,hopefully that was not the kiss of death allowing the side wall to split! At any rate, replaced the tire and moving on....will replace the other two here pretty quickly...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well, that's what I would have thought....I guess, however, if you run up over a curb even slowly, you putting a lot of weight on one tire. I was at 70 psi as that's all the air I can get around here,,,hopefully that was not the kiss of death allowing the side wall to split! At any rate, replaced the tire and moving on....will replace the other two here pretty quickly...

ricksbury, when you replace the other tires, check the tire date code and if they are over 6 months old, leave them. That tire code is posted on the net for anybody to look at. And any tire sold in America has to have a date code imprinted on them. JMHO

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gm280 not sure I'm getting what your saying...

rickasbury, on every tire sold in America, there is a date code imprinted on the sidewall of the tire. And you can look up how to decode that date code on the internet. It really isn't very hard to decode. It is actually a four number code. The first two numbers are the week it was manufactured. The last two numbers is the year.

For an example, the date code of 1612 means the tire was made in the 16 week of the year, and the 12 is the year it was manufactured. So April 2012 would be the decoded date it was made. I attached a picture to better explain it....I hope!

Attachments

• photo307269.jpg
    photo307269.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks...I did not decode mine correctly but they were 7 years old but not 14. Hopefully this will work out. It's no fun being concerned to haul it.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
I show availability of at least 4 tires in your size that have a weight rating of close to or above 2900 pounds when in tandem and there rated at up to 3200 pounds as singles. There less cheap than the lower weighted tires by a fair margin but I can tell you from experience these tires have some serious sidewalls and casings. Are they a solution? first thought would be how much your boat actually weights tire pressures and speed. Travelling through Montana every now and then I get passed at 85 MPH meaning by someones doing 95 MPH or more hauling some 12,000 pound boat or camper this is not something a lot of tires will handle for long when its 100 degrees outside. Then move on to issues with your trailer.

Are you running these tires at there rated pressure or a pressure that you thought was right. Many of these heavier tires require 80 PSI not running them at this pressure loaded means the sidewalls tearing itself apart. The number of people that think 32 PSI is the pressure every tire should be because they inflated one car tire to that pressure one time, that its a fit for everything.