Will this tow?

Edmac7

Cadet
I have a 2004 Sea Hunt 212 on aluminum tandem. Nada says boat weighs 2100. I got to believe that doesn't include motor weight. So we are looking at 2600 pounds not including trailer. I want to pull it with a Ford Ranger 4x4 with factory tow package. I am thinking it will do fine. Towing flat land about one hour drive. Thoughts? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the weigh is hull only, no gear or fuel or motor

your at about 4000# with fuel

since the ranger tow capacity is based on motor, axle ratios, brakes, etc. and over the years that capacity is now anywhere between 1000# and 7700#

what does your particular ranger have for a tow capacity.

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does the trailer have brakes? I think your truck will tow the boat just fine but stopping might be an issue especially in a panic.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
If your tow capacity is 5460 you should be fine. You’ll be 1400 lbs or so under capacity. Trailer brakes would be nice but not necessary especially towing on flat terrain.

Maclin

Admiral
Posted this earlier but in wrong thread, may have value or not...

There is a gross combination weight rating (GCWR), total for everything being towed, packed and driven. The more you have on the back the less you can have in the tow vehicle to keep the max towing capacity. With my truck, to get the max towing of 7800, I can't even be the driver at my weight if I have more than 2 gallons of gas in it.

Do you need to pull it back up the ramp? Is it a normal grade, or more steep?