Trailer doesn't have safety chain

kaulbr

Seaman
I have a new-to-me 2015 19' Four Winns with the OEM trailer. It has a crank winch strap but no additional safety chain. All other trailers I've ever seen always had a chain as well in case the strap were to break. Is that not always needed? Makes me nervous.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Add one. You won't know you need a safety chain until it's too late.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
You really don't need a safety chain but it's very cheap insurance in case the strap breaks. There's really no reason to not have one, here's a picture of my chain.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You really don't need a safety chain but it's very cheap insurance in case the strap breaks. There's really no reason to not have one, here's a picture of my chain.

you need help too.
3/8ths link at the minimum and a screw shackel not a hook

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I have a new-to-me 2015 19' Four Winns with the OEM trailer. It has a crank winch strap but no additional safety chain. All other trailers I've ever seen always had a chain as well in case the strap were to break. Is that not always needed? Makes me nervous.

It should make you nervous, get a chain on there. Aside from losing the boat or causing an accident you will also be cited for "Failure to secure load"

briangcc

Commander
It probably came from the factory with a 2" strap in front that secured to the winch post - mine did. I'd definitely look at getting something there to act as a fail safe for the winch strap.

My current boat has a steel cable (plastic coated) with an S hook and retaining spring. Depending on your setup this *might* be another option for you.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My winch post has a slot to put the chain in, works quite well, I have a screw shackle and just put the chain in the slot and twist.

kaulbr

Seaman
Thanks all for the input. Do you think this triangle at the base of the trailer is where the strap/chain is meant to attach? Also, any recommendations as to what to buy?

Attachments

• photo298941.jpg
    photo298941.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks all for the input. Do you think this triangle at the base of the trailer is where the strap/chain is meant to attach? Also, any recommendations as to what to buy?

Might be, but I know I have seen a lot of trailers over the years that was not even designed to take a safety chain, in those cases you just have to figure it out.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You can use a transom strap if you have an extra one.

On my boat, I installed an extra bow eye.

Both hooks would not fit in the bow eye, so added the second one.

superbenk

Commander
My Four Winns trailer came with a short ratcheting bow strap. You can find them online for about $20-30. I like that better than the chain because I can cinch it down. I hook to the small hole in the flat plate that supports the winch tower. I think that’s a stronger location than the triangular piece you pointed out (my trailer has that too).

Definitely don’t run without one. An accident will cost you far more than the $20-30 for a strap.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes that triangle is exactly what you use. A simple ratchet strap from the triangle to the bow eye. Your trailer would have came like that from factory but obviously the seller didn't give you that. Mine is exactly the same. All units in the showroom were like this.

Attachments

• photo298957.jpg
    photo298957.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 0

kaulbr

Seaman
Yes that triangle is exactly what you use. A simple ratchet strap from the triangle to the bow eye. Your trailer would have came like that from factory but obviously the seller didn't give you that. Mine is exactly the same. All units in the showroom were like this.

Nice, thanks for the info!